You AND your lorry!

Chris Webb:

Bewick:
I would say this shot is nearly 43 years old,stood behind my D1000 which if IIRC I’d just loaded for Stamford St. from Libby’s in Milnthorpe. I was ready for a bath and bed as I’d just come up on a flyer from Covent Garden overnight and tipped in Barrow at 5 a.m. then they wanted me to load for London pronto in the factory. I was off again on a flyer at midnight to be at Sainsbury’s next morning ,early!! It was all flying up and down in those day’s,you felt like a zombie at times,you couldn’t do enough!! But I wasn’t as 'andsome as that “poser” Dave Fergie in the previous post!!! Talk about “smooth” I bet those French birds were quaking in their knickers!! Cheers Dennis.

Nice photo Dennis,those were the “cab happy” days and I was guilty as well,loved it.That would be Sainsburys at Charlton would it?
Did your dog do a bit of pawballing at Covent Garden? :laughing:

A cracking photo Dennis, you can see the pride in your face, if only we could all turn the clock back to those times.

Fergie47:

adr:
[Thats some belt buckle Fergie47, very smooth :sunglasses: Thats a handy box fitted behind the cab, was that your tool-box?

Funny you should mention that belt - buckle…I was loading at a warehouse in Turin, went to collect my papers and custom docs where it took the eye of a young lady that worked in the office …I was delayed slightly…it cost me the buckle and a meal out… :wink: :wink: :wink:

As for my tool box, you may jest young man, but the contents saved me a few times…spare fan belts, hoses, air and fuel fittings, suzies, fuel line, even a spare alternator, plus a load of odds and sods…youn’uns to-day wouldn’t know how to lift the cab, and if they did, wouldn’t know what to do anyway… :unamused: :unamused:

What year was the big j Fergie? it looks almost new in those pictures, I’ve had to kip across the bonnet in one many a time, I managed ok but we used to dream of one day having a sleeper cab back then.
Present day I have a globetrotter with all mod cons fridge , microwave etc. but its very rare I have to spend a night out in it !

Evening all, Dennis, I agree with Trev H, didnt we feel great then, knackered, yes, but proud, the world was our oyster. Bet you still wished you had the Dog! That Raydot spot on the back, I spent a Sunday morning wiring two of those up to the back of a Boden box van trailer, some of my Uncles older hands took the mick out of me something terrible, but they saved my bacon many a night reversing into difficult places. Fergie 47, that Big J was a smart motor to be doing Italy, I was always proud of my S21 Foden, just as good as anything else on the RNs, or over Cenis, those RTL stickers are now highly regarded as decoration for “period Camions” by French enthusiasts, probably worth as much as a Big J now!! I spent some entertaining evenings in the "Max Maynier studio in the Calberson building in Paris, he was a phenomenen, and created a real awareness, and enfolding of “le chauffer routier” into French life. Why, oh why, has the role of the lorry driver, and transport in general never ever been appreciated this side of the channel? Gentlemen, this thread truly brings back happy memories, you know we really could go out and do things, there were not the barriers of suffocating legislation, I only wish that the youngsters today could have the same aspirations and opportunities that we had! Cheerio for now,

Chris Webb:

Bewick:
I would say this shot is nearly 43 years old,stood behind my D1000 which if IIRC I’d just loaded for Stamford St. from Libby’s in Milnthorpe. I was ready for a bath and bed as I’d just come up on a flyer from Covent Garden overnight and tipped in Barrow at 5 a.m. then they wanted me to load for London pronto in the factory. I was off again on a flyer at midnight to be at Sainsbury’s next morning ,early!! It was all flying up and down in those day’s,you felt like a zombie at times,you couldn’t do enough!! But I wasn’t as 'andsome as that “poser” Dave Fergie in the previous post!!! Talk about “smooth” I bet those French birds were quaking in their knickers!! Cheers Dennis.

Nice photo Dennis,those were the “cab happy” days and I was guilty as well,loved it.That would be Sainsburys at Charlton would it?
Did your dog do a bit of pawballing at Covent Garden? :laughing:

When I started running to Sainsburys in Stamford st.(just over Blackfriars bridge) I don’t think Charlton was open,Stamford St.was J.S.'s Head office and origional warehouse in the “smoke” and the bay’s were only built for horse lorries so I got to do it regular! The dog was ‘lal Judy which I bought for 1/- just about when I left school( another tale!) She did every mile with me in the D1000 and often when I tipped at Sainsbury’s early morning J & W Watt would send me into Covent Garden to load for Dockers of Barrow,mainly because it was no good for their trunks to Carlisle plus I loaded it proper like,hards on the outside and soft and delicate int’ middle.I always got it delivered in 100% condition so guess who Dockers wanted to do the job if poss? But it was a none stop graffting job as they wanted you in Barrow ready to tip at 4 am but Albert Docker would bring a slap up “full english” in for me and I sat in the office troughing while they tipped the load.Then they’ed put a bit back on for their Kendal depot together with a boxful of goodies for me which my mother appreciated Only problem was when I got home about 10am Libby’s might have been on the phone wanting me into the factory to re-load for London and I was bloody dead on my feet sometimes but I had to do it!!! The little dog used to sit on the cab rack if the weather was decent while I was on “the cobbles” and while the porters where bringing the load in bits and bats! I could have sold Judy for a fiver to a porter many a time!! I had to put her to sleep in November '75 at the age of 14 so the next new motor I got recieved the fleet name Judy! Cheers Dennis.

“JUDY” January 1976 and this ERF was one of our most reliable motors,it’s first years were spent on double shift,nights to daventry and day’s to Lancs/Cheshire.

Bewick:
“JUDY” January 1976 and this ERF was one of our most reliable motors,it’s first years were spent on double shift,nights to daventry and day’s to Lancs/Cheshire.

That must have been one of the last of the A series ERF’s Dennis on a P plate.I think C W Griffiths had a B series also on a P.
Cheers Dave.

Saviem:
Evening all, Dennis, I agree with Trev H, didnt we feel great then, knackered, yes, but proud, the world was our oyster. Bet you still wished you had the Dog! That Raydot spot on the back, I spent a Sunday morning wiring two of those up to the back of a Boden box van trailer, some of my Uncles older hands took the mick out of me something terrible, but they saved my bacon many a night reversing into difficult places. Fergie 47, that Big J was a smart motor to be doing Italy, I was always proud of my S21 Foden, just as good as anything else on the RNs, or over Cenis, those RTL stickers are now highly regarded as decoration for “period Camions” by French enthusiasts, probably worth as much as a Big J now!! I spent some entertaining evenings in the "Max Maynier studio in the Calberson building in Paris, he was a phenomenen, and created a real awareness, and enfolding of “le chauffer routier” into French life. Why, oh why, has the role of the lorry driver, and transport in general never ever been appreciated this side of the channel? Gentlemen, this thread truly brings back happy memories, you know we really could go out and do things, there were not the barriers of suffocating legislation, I only wish that the youngsters today could have the same aspirations and opportunities that we had! Cheerio for now,

Hiya “Saviem” when you spent as much time in the dark as you did in daylight you needed to see back’ards as well as for’ards!! I cant recall what kind of light it was but it did the job OK ! Cheers Dennis.

C W Griffiths B series seen after a few years work.

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

That must have been one of the last of the A series ERF’s Dennis on a P plate.I think C W Griffiths had a B series also on a P. Cheers Dave.

Not just sure on that Dave,I bought it off HLH,of Whiffler Rd. Norwhich, as at the time you couldn’t just get what you wanted,when you wanted, from the local dealers so you had to “scour” the country to find new motors.The local dealers hated it when a new motor turned up from “distant parts” but they couldn’t supply so tough!!! Cheers Dennis.

Fergie47:

adr:
[Thats some belt buckle Fergie47, very smooth :sunglasses: Thats a handy box fitted behind the cab, was that your tool-box?

Funny you should mention that belt - buckle…I was loading at a warehouse in Turin, went to collect my papers and custom docs where it took the eye of a young lady that worked in the office …I was delayed slightly…it cost me the buckle and a meal out… :wink: :wink: :wink:

As for my tool box, you may jest young man, but the contents saved me a few times…spare fan belts, hoses, air and fuel fittings, suzies, fuel line, even a spare alternator, plus a load of odds and sods…youn’uns to-day wouldn’t know how to lift the cab, and if they did, wouldn’t know what to do anyway… :unamused: :unamused:

Jest :open_mouth: Definately not! Young man? My 16 & 21 year old daughters & the present Mrs ADR would definately chuckle at that :laughing: :laughing: . But seriously if that is what it was I thought what a snazzy place to put it for ease of access etc. Wagons, definately the non-sleeper ones obviously didn’t have the under-bunk storage & chassis lockers etc that are common-place nowadays, despite the fact that changing a brake light bulb is about as technical as you can get with a wagon nowadays before the computer tells everything to shut down & you get a £700 wrecker bill to be towed-in :unamused:
Regards Chris

Saviem:
Fergie 47, that Big J was a smart motor to be doing Italy, I was always proud of my S21 Foden, just as good as anything else on the RN`s, or over Cenis, those RTL stickers are now highly regarded as decoration for “period Camions” by French enthusiasts, probably worth as much as a Big J now!! ,

Pretty reliable Saviem, odd bits and bobs, but always got me home…saw a Big J advertised the other day for
20.000 €…yeah right…but I think a decent one would still cost you…a lot. more than the stickers.

Here’s a couple for you Saviem…

Trev_H:
[What year was the big j Fergie? it looks almost new in those pictures, I’ve had to kip across the bonnet in one many a time, I managed ok but we used to dream of one day having a sleeper cab back then.

Trev…Think it was 1970, and about a year old, 180 ■■■■■■■ ( NO Den it was NOT a 240 LXB ) didn’t bother me at the time because that’s what you drove, and in the late '60’s early '70’s it was the norm., about a year later I got an F86…Bliss by comparison, then an F88…bigger bliss and then an F89…bigger bigger bliss and then, .etc etc etc…

Sorry I’ve gone a bit off topic, but Photo’s of trucks are always good…arn’t they ■■?

What reg was the Big J Dave? had the 205 ■■■■■■■ started to appear at that time?While I’m on I read with interest the list of tools and spares you carried ( a proper driver!) but surely you could have had the photo taken with something other than your favourite tool of choice in your hand,or was that a threatening pose towards the Spanish fitter after he told how much he expected for doing the repair!!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
What reg was the Big J Dave? had the 205 ■■■■■■■ started to appear at that time?While I’m on I read with interest the list of tools and spares you carried ( a proper driver!) but surely you could have had the photo taken with something other than your favourite tool of choice in your hand,or was that a threatening pose towards the Spanish fitter after he told how much he expected for doing the repair!!! Cheers Dennis.

G reg Den, '69…I’m sure the 205 was out then, because on S.o.M I had an Invisible with a 205 in it. which, if memory serves, was also a G reg !..However, Smiths were always playing around with the engines, so it’s possible that the Invisible was “up-rated” at ■■■■■■■ , Shotts…

Wasn’t my favorite tool Den, still got that one !!! But, that one in the pic was only a 2 pounder,( I’ve still got it, never got to wearing it out ) I had a sledge as well, but you needed room to maneuver with that… :unamused:
Trouble was in those days, you really did have to sort yourself out…there was no “phoning home”, and even if you did, your Governor couldn’t do much sat behind a desk in the UK…Unless it was something really major, you just got on with fixing it up

F2000 boy:
Well they are both mine :smiley: 0

One day this will all be mine she says :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Fergie47:

Bewick:

G reg Den, '69…I’m sure the 205 was out then, because on S.o.M I had an Invisible with a 205 in it. which, if memory serves, was also a G reg !..However, Smiths were always playing around with the engines, so it’s possible that the Invisible was “up-rated” at ■■■■■■■ , Shotts…

Wasn’t my favorite tool Den, still got that one !!! But, that one in the pic was only a 2 pounder,( I’ve still got it, never got to wearing it out ) I had a sledge as well, but you needed room to maneuver with that… :unamused:
Trouble was in those days, you really did have to sort yourself out…there was no “phoning home”, and even if you did, your Governor couldn’t do much sat behind a desk in the UK…Unless it was something really major, you just got on with fixing it up

Guy’s would have stopped building Invincibles when the Big J came out surely? Or did they? Photos Dave please? Dennis.

A nice Granada 2.8i I ran for a little while.Parked outside the office at the depot.

Bewick:
A nice Granada 2.8i I ran for a little while.Parked outside the office at the depot.

Nice motor and nice colour , it s like the 1 Cowley had in the Proffessionals only that was crimson and had a building brick of a phone in it complete with curly wire for the receiver :smiley:

ramone:

Bewick:

Nice motor and nice colour , it s like the 1 Cowley had in the Proffessionals only that was crimson and had a building brick of a phone in it complete with curly wire for the receiver :smiley:

This was pre Vodaphone years “ramone” IIRC about 83/84 our Fleet Engineer had diesel Granadas both 2.1 and 2.5 Peugot( French) engines in them.cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

ramone:

Bewick:

This was pre Vodaphone years “ramone” IIRC about 83/84 our Fleet Engineer had diesel Granadas both 2.1 and 2.5 Peugot( French) engines in them.cheers Dennis.

Watch 1 of the many repeats currently being shown of the Proffessionals and you will see what i mean i think it was around 78/79 but there was a really smart Granada with an old fashioned telephone fitted looks so comical when Cowley uses it

ramone:

Bewick:

ramone:

Bewick:

Watch 1 of the many repeats currently being shown of the Proffessionals and you will see what i mean i think it was around 78/79 but there was a really smart Granada with an old fashioned telephone fitted looks so comical when Cowley uses it

This is a 1979 shot of the first 2.1D Granada the Fleet Engineer ran. This Red one was his next Granada but this had the 2.5D engine and IIRC it was a “Taxi” spec model,had a tougher suspension for one thing.