Photo request.

Hi Smudger 33
I was one of those lads who you mentioned in your post 6yrs ago.Me and your Dad were drinking buddies in Aveley many moons ago.I left Milehams to work on Purfleet DeepWharf for BandB trans up and down to Fleet Street everyday.They packed up and I worked for Cabmont and Press X Press till they both went bust.Then got fed up the way England was going and moved to Ireland 13 yrs ago.No regrets. Worked 9 yrs for a Haulier neighbour of mine dropping trailers to the boats at Dublin,Belfast,Larne and Rosslare,and delivering whatever came over the water.Been retired 5yr now,but loading fish at Killybegs in Donegal beats driving round the M25,if only for the view.Give my regards to Mickey and any of the other lads if you still see them.

Hey paddywagon I think I know who you are …b,green is that right.hope it is you and you are all well.
I’m looking for micky savage do you know where he is now he just vanishes.

Hi Smudger.You have me spot on.Still visit Essex to catch up with kids and grandchildren or these days for funerals !!!Still call into Aveley F.C for a match and a catch up with old drinking mates.The new ground looks something else so will have to look in there when it opens.Is Mickey and Rita still in Aveley and drinking in the Ship ?

From 1976 until 1981, I was working for Oxley Cartage out of Grays, Essex. The majority of our work was for Thames Board Mills and another part of that company called Thames Case. Another one of the hauliers on the same work was Milehams, running out of Purfleet, Essex.
I’ve recently met up with one of the old Mileham drivers, he works at our place two nights a week on the agency. We always have a natter about the ‘old times’, and he seemed very passionate about working for Milehams.
He’s a decent old bugger, so has anyone got any pictures of Milehams from that time, please? I’ll copy them, print them off and present them to him at work.
He’s retired now officially, but keeps his hand just doing a couple of nights a week.
Thanks in advance chaps.

Tetley i remember oxley they used to be round on the globe where leemans are

Yep, I think Lemans bought them out after I left.
I started off with a TK with a Scammel hitch, then went on to a Dodge with a ‘proper’ fifth wheel.
Left Oxley to go to Newens transport, where I had a Scania 110 daycab. I used to kip down in that.

Well Tetley. I don’t know how old you mate would be but I used to run with Mileham’s drivers back in the '50 and '60s when they were in Sugar House Lane, Stratford - as were G.L. Bakers. I was working for an own account concern manufacturing cardboard boxes and Milehams used to bring the rolls of paper down to Bristol from Thames Board and we used to backload them with boxes and corrugated paper when we were pushed. Milehams used to run all S type Bedford rigids and artics. then. The two drivers that stand out in my memory were Sandy and The Aga Khan. Ask if his memory goes back that far. I am afraid that I have no pictures - only memories of the “good” old days.

I cant help you with Milehams, just though these might be of interest.

Drums floating around the yard in Mobil.

Floodwaters surrounding the Vacuum Oil Company, now known as Mobil Oil Co. Ltd.

Must have been 1953

wessexman:
Well Tetley. I don’t know how old you mate would be but I used to run with Mileham’s drivers back in the '50 and '60s when they were in Sugar House Lane, Stratford - as were G.L. Bakers. I was working for an own account concern manufacturing cardboard boxes and Milehams used to bring the rolls of paper down to Bristol from Thames Board and we used to backload them with boxes and corrugated paper when we were pushed. Milehams used to run all S type Bedford rigids and artics. then. The two drivers that stand out in my memory were Sandy and The Aga Khan. Ask if his memory goes back that far. I am afraid that I have no pictures - only memories of the “good” old days.

Thanks wessexman. He only talks about Milehams being at Purfleet, in Tank Hill Road. I remember they used to be virtually opposite the testing station.
His name is Paul. He’s a very short bloke. He originated from Malta, but has lived here virtually all his life.
I only started running out of Thames Board Mills/Thames Case in the mid seventies. We used to do a load of finished goods out and waste paper back. Job and knock. If I worked until 2pm, I was running late. I also worked for Drapers out of the Board Mills. All rope and sheet work. :frowning:
Thanks also for the flood photos. I reckon that was 1953. The year I was born.

I bought three of Milehams motors when they finished, two Scania 111
sleepers JHJ 161V and JHJ 162V which were lovely reliable motors and ran for years, and a twin steer MAN, an ‘A’ reg I can’t remember the reg no of.
That dog was almost new and broke the crank several times before I sold it.
Happy days

i worked for milehams when they were in sugarhouse lane, that is one firm i could never get passionate about, that andy mileham was the most obnoxious man i have ever had the misfortune to meet, he could never look you in the eye, there was always something on his desk he fiddled with while talking to you. the old man, vic mileham was ok, but he left the running to andy,unfortunately. the only decent one out of that lot was john mileham who ran the workshop in seven kings, i`ve been drinking with him on a few occasions, nice bloke.
btw g l baker were not in sugarhouse lane, they were in stratford fruit market, a proper company, i was with them same time as lenny berry and brian■■? who started up a&m roadways in thurrock.

I’m sure there’s a post gone missing from this thread. Someone said they knew Paul, and they thought he had his own lorry on OCL.
I asked him last night, and he did. It’s the same Paul.

SUPERCUBE:
i worked for milehams when they were in sugarhouse lane, that is one firm i could never get passionate about, that andy mileham was the most obnoxious man i have ever had the misfortune to meet, he could never look you in the eye, there was always something on his desk he fiddled with while talking to you. the old man, vic mileham was ok, but he left the running to andy,unfortunately. the only decent one out of that lot was john mileham who ran the workshop in seven kings, i`ve been drinking with him on a few occasions, nice bloke.
btw g l baker were not in sugarhouse lane, they were in stratford fruit market, a proper company, i was with them same time as lenny berry and brian■■? who started up a&m roadways in thurrock.

hi again super,
cant believe this but i asked on another thread if you new me uncle john now im asking if you new me dad bill poulton he was on milehams at sugerhouse lane,i think he got the sack about 1968 for borrowing the tax disc off his old tk and putting it in our car!!
cheers steve.

hi pollystag, yeah i can see where this is going, as i said on the other thread, 40yrs is a long time, but there is a stirring in the grey matter at the mention of bill poulton, how old would he have been at that time, cos i certainly remember the name, you say he got the sack, that dont surprise me one little bit, that andy mileham had no sense of humour, if your dad had done that on davis’s,it would have cost him a round, in the pub in cable st, and that would have been the end of it. i got back to sugar house lane late one saturday, there was nobody in the yard, and my old car refused to start, i had to work on the sunday, load of reels to fleet st, so i decided to take the unit home, i lived then in ilford, i parked just past the palais on a bit of waste ground, came out 5.30 sunday morning and found i had no batteries, someone had nicked them, i got myself out of trouble,that time , mileham never found out. i think i may have joined your dad down the road if he had. happy days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hi my dad knows paul who used to work for milehams transport when it was in purfleet,my dads name was micky aylett.he worked with the legends who were,dave craft,peter bunclark,jimmy tarlin,micky savage,bernie green,the two fitters who were brothers chas and bernie…
i was only young when he worked there about 7/8/9yrs old,and i have never met a nicer bunch of drivers ever,unfortunatly i followed my dads footsteps thanks to milehams and the mentioned above drivers,whom i went out with in their lorrys aswell,down to purfleet deep wharf and thames board mills,it was thanks to my dad and the others that i learnt roping and sheeting and how to do it well,which helped me get a job in the board mills as a shunter and having to do the roping and sheeting,so a big thank u to those who helped me on my way .
i can rember a few nights out in bristol with me dad and hes mates down to the sheds and onto the barge that was a pub,those were great times.
i was only young when i went with me dad at every chance i got but what i saw then and how happy my dad was and the fun he had working at milehams,and the other drivers from other firms how chatty they was towards each other and how they all pulled together to help each other out.i dont see that anymore and the dodgys the drivers used to do.i miss them days ,u would be hard pushed to stike up a conversation with some drivers now.and hard pushed to find an english speaking 1lol…i suppose the point im trying to say is that i miss them good days when u used to sell ur tunnel tickets for brekkie and the fun and nice people u met bring em back.i find i get on more with the old school drivers,and find them more genuine and helpfull…

if anyone knows my dad micky aylett or the other drivers let me know and tell me some stories…and some pictures of there lorrys would be awesome to have as its my dads birthday soon and would love to get 1 of the lorrys where he was happy…especial the leyland t45 he was given…all the best and stay lucky all.

Tetleysmooth:
From 1976 until 1981, I was working for Oxley Cartage out of Grays, Essex. The majority of our work was for Thames Board Mills and another part of that company called Thames Case. Another one of the hauliers on the same work was Milehams, running out of Purfleet, Essex.
I’ve recently met up with one of the old Mileham drivers, he works at our place two nights a week on the agency. We always have a natter about the ‘old times’, and he seemed very passionate about working for Milehams.
He’s a decent old bugger, so has anyone got any pictures of Milehams from that time, please? I’ll copy them, print them off and present them to him at work.
He’s retired now officially, but keeps his hand just doing a couple of nights a week.
Thanks in advance chaps.

hi tetley hows it going,just wondering if u had any pics from milehams as its my dads birthday and would love to get some pics framed for him…my dad knows paul …mention micky aylett to him see what he says my dad was the shop steward down there and a driver…all the best …stay lucky…