Another year

A personal post from me… to you the members

well its nearly 2007, and a lot has changed in this year.

In some ways this has been the hardest year for Lucy ,me and TruckNet UK since its inception.

Until this year TruckNet UK could manage quite succesfully as a small business, it covered its costs and despite tight advertising budgets was succesful in attracting new advertisers and having existing customers renew.

However with this business success came the huge added workload in running the business, the directors were spending less and less time on the forums, leaving the day to day running of the website in the capable hands of the admins and moderators and news team.

Site usage grew again by a huge amount, added articles on the insider and the news, coupled with the growth in posts on the forums meant we were using a huge amount of bandwidth on the servers.

This year also was a time where my health did not improve, and Lucy had some health issues come to light which have been posted elsewhere on this website. On top of this our beautiful little baby boy , Mattie, somehow turned into a beautiful, cheeky and extremely time consuming little thug :wink:

All the above led the directors to believe it was time to look for a partner, someone committed to road transport and the ethos of this website, and many months ago initial discussions were started via contacts within the industry.

It very soon became clear only one organisation shared our vision for TruckNet UK, and more, had a vision far beyond what we could have dreamed of for the whole transport industry on-line.

Reed Business Information impressed the directors , with their perfomance with current titles such as Truck & Driver, Commercial Motor and Motor Transport, and with their plans for 2007 with their new Roadtransport.com project.

So now, as you all know RBI own this website, a move that this time last year we had no idea would come about. Over the last 7 or so years I have eat, slept, dreamed , cried and jumped for joy over TruckNet UK, I could never, after devoting so much of my life and asking for, and recieving so much support from Lucy and the Admin/moderating team, make any decision on TruckNet UK if I had any worries at all that it would harm this website in any way

In some ways I am sad that TruckNet UK is no longer “my baby” but I know that TruckNet UK has grown up, become so big it is now an entity that needs the support of RBI. and I know that with RBI TruckNet UK will stay the number one website for drivers.

We will always remain close to our roots with Truck.Net (USA) keeping the original ideas and ethos that Craig, via his support for the last 7 years, bought to the UK website. And our personal friendship with the USA team remains as strong as ever

I now can focus again on the reason I started this all in the first place, the community on our forums, keeping my dream of a huge FREE resource for the professional drivers on-line growing and adding services.

In 2007 TruckNet UK will be back at the Truckshows where members can meet each other in person, and relax a little, The traditional post Xmas party is in the planning, and I hope to bring to the community other free benefits.

Change is never easy, and some members will always have reservations, I say here quite clearly, TruckNet UK will remain free to use as long as I am in charge of the community, our focus will remain on the forums and providing via the community help , support, advice and a few laughs for you, the members.

Lets all go into 2007 looking at the benefits this change will bring. I know that I for one am looking forward to a far brighter future here on TruckNet UK

I wish all of you a happy, safe , and prosperous new year

Rikki

Hope you all have a happy, prosperous and stress free New Year

Pete

yep cheers rik good luck to you with it.

Best wishes to you , Lucy and “thug” for the next year Ricki

Many thanks for all the hard work and dedication that have made the site what it is.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

all the best RIKKI ;;LUCY & litle Mattie for 2007 and please remember one,

and all, this site would not be here ,where we are now ,if not for the people

who had a dream, which they turned in to reality,and allowed us all to join in

and participate, thank you both very much and also the usa team,

from your planting of the tiny seed has grown this great and strong

site with issues and transfer of information for one and all who work in

transport,

HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and ALL at TRUCKNET -UK

goes without saying,a big thankyou for all the hard work and commitment you have put into trucknet uk.the very best for the future.

Thanks for that Rikki - it was obviously from the heart.

I haven’t been here that long, but I’m glad I am, and hope it all goes to plan. Maybe you can get back to actually enjoying it now some of the pressure and responsibility has been lifted.

All the best, to everyone :smiley:

Thank you and the same to you and yours.Look forward to another year of truck-net. :smiley:

ditto What they all said

next question…whens the annual party :wink:

to Rikki, Lucy and Mattie, and to the future for TruckNet UK.

peirre:
next question…whens the annual party :wink:

Rikki UK:
The traditional post Xmas party is in the planning

It’s been the last Saturday in January for the last 3, or is that 4 years?
At The Longford House Hotel.

There are other hotels nearby and, if your really stuck, there’s The Hollies truckstop half way between the M6 and the hotel.

However, as the party is still at the planning stage, it’s possible there could be a change of date or venue. So I wouldn’t book just yet.

how about something in leeds or wakefield.

a couple of good pubs by whitwood truckstop.

im not going down to cannock or the A5

Cheers. I like coming on here. Living in another country , this site has given me a daily connection back home .That makes me happy. Thanks . :smiley:

jessicas dad:

Don’t tell me it’s to far for you to travel jd?

Birmingham area isn’t called the Midlands for nothing. It’s in the middle of the country, so its just as difficult for everyone to get to (apart from those who live in the Midlands of course).

I’ll be travelling down from north of Edinburgh to get to the pi… party. Semtex and Rachel have travelled up from Cornwall (or where ever it is down in the deep south). There are plenty of other people who travel quite a distance to get there. It’s a damned good party, well worth the effort. At least all the ones I’ve been to so far have been. I’ve been to them all btw .

Lets hope that 2007 is a good one and that Trucknet continues to grow.

Rikki-UK:
I wish all of you a happy, safe , and prosperous new year
Rikki
[/quote]
Hi Rikki, i’m guessing you’re new here, i havn’t seen you post much ! Happy new year to you anyway !!

Happy New Year to all

hope 2007 is a better year :laughing:

I will be at the xmas party as per

And a Happy New Year from me.

A year that has been, so far, reasonably ‘hassle free’ from an Admin/Mods point of view, with, of course, a couple of exceptions. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Which reflects the attitude of the membership in general to observing the rules and protocols of the site. For which we thank you.

Not forgetting, of course, Pam, who does sterling work overseeing the whole setup whilst many of us are out at work.

As regards a change of venue?

It would need to provide:-

1. Nearby reasonably secure parking for anyone ‘shipping out’ the next day.
  2. Good food at reasonable prices.
  3. Tills that can run a TNUK ‘kitty’, and staff that can recognise members of the group and identify potential ‘freeloaders’, And a management that can be trusted.
  4. A private or discrete area where ‘corporate’ matters can be discussed prior to the ‘main event’.
  5. Hotel/motel accommodation within staggering distance which provides free car parking.
  6. A ‘tolerant’ attitude towards closing the bar.
  7. A nearby venue for a ‘greasy breakfast’. :smiley:

The Longford House only falls down on point #6, but by that time, so are the rest of us. (Falling down, that is.) :laughing: :laughing:

1. A nearby venue for a ‘greasy breakfast’.

now thats a understatment if ever :laughing: :laughing:

happy 2007 to everyone :smiley:

jon

Well done Rikki Lucy and “thug”! Happy new year to all, and good luck to TrucknetUK in the future, see you all at Truckfest 2007! :smiley:

jessicas dad:

how about the Stockyard ■■
tis not that I`m bias, but a pub (inc entertainment) with ample parking and a couple of hotels nearby might fit the bill :wink: