24hrs unpaid delay

If im a day man its all agreed with company and contract then if im asked or stuck out (ie out of my normal hours) I would expect to be paid for every hour that I am out (every hour)
Anyone who does not is been taken for a ride back and front

Bit ridiculous, I did a job once where I figured if I played it right I could get home Friday evening instead of the ‘planned’ Saturday run in.

Did 05:30-08:00 for the first job, started a 9hr break. Then worked 17:00-23:00 on the second job and drive back to the yard. I still put in and got paid my ‘night out’ money for that 9hr break. As im salary it makes no odds what hours I do though unlike yourself.

I would assume normally 8-10hrs pay plus night out as it was not a weekend break just a pause in a 3 day run.

I’d be recouping my losses by fair means or foul. :wink:

Should have put tacho in and recorded a days work.

I’d have driven the load straight back to the yard after the other drops of not being paid

What mode was tacho on? Used to have this when transporting wind turbines when the wind would mean crane couldn’t lift the mast/blades off. Used to stick it on other work for 8hrs.

Conor:
What mode was tacho on? Used to have this when transporting wind turbines when the wind would mean crane couldn’t lift the mast/blades off. Used to stick it on other work for 8hrs.

Rest, as I was under the impression I was on rest but being paid for my time in the lorry.

Speaking to the boss today to find out if there’s been a miscommunication between my manager and him, if not then I’ll be gone to another job that’s waiting if I need it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nurglets:

Conor:

Rest, as I was under the impression I was on rest but being paid for my time in the lorry.

Speaking to the boss today to find out if there’s been a miscommunication between my manager and him, if not then I’ll be gone to another job that’s waiting if I need it.

The situation never arose in the UK for us, though regular occurrence abroad. The tacho would have been on rest. Abroad is easy, it was a guaranteed 12 hours no matter what.

albion:

nurglets:

Conor:

The situation never arose in the UK for us, though regular occurrence abroad. The tacho would have been on rest. Abroad is easy, it was a guaranteed 12 hours no matter what.

The way it should be.
You are “at work”. You should be paid. Tacho mode should be irrelevant.

nurglets:

Conor:

Best bet mate, yes it might be a communication mistake that can be rectified, but i no joy then agree with getting your arse out the door asap if this is how they conduct business, cos wedges and thin end of spring to mind.

Franglais:

Hard to argue you were at work when your tacho was on rest for the entire period. Its like being abroad taking a weekly rest period. You’re not at work then but you’re very likely to have your card left in the tacho or done an entry covering that period as rest. Other work or PoA would have been a much better idea to ensure you have proof you were working.

How many hours was it from your start time to finishing the first two drops ?.

Conor:

Franglais:

Hard to argue you were at work when your tacho was on rest for the entire period. Its like being abroad taking a weekly rest period. You’re not at work then but you’re very likely to have your card left in the tacho or done an entry covering that period as rest. Other work or PoA would have been a much better idea to ensure you have proof you were working.

Looks like a conflict of interest.Drivers says it’s a period of availability because he wants to be paid for the time.But the employer doesn’t need the driver to do anything for at least 24 hours after completing the 2nd drop.

I don’t think there’s any rule which says that an employee can’t be laid off for 12-24 hours,or even more,without pay because there’s no work even if he goes home.While drivers don’t generally get paid for rest periods even when staying with the truck.It’s a catch 22.

Conor:

Franglais:

If Nurglets goes out the gate in truck on day 1 and returns only on day 3, I reckon that’s 3 days’ pay. Doesn’t matter what day 2’s tacho says.
That’s my take, anyway.

I bet that the price your guvnor put in for the job sure as hell covers the time you waited, …especially if it was known when he took it on.
If it aint it’s his own stupid fault for not pricing the job accordinglly and even if it was unexpected, it’s definitely not your responsibility to subsidise it.
As said there are ways and means of getting what is owed to you :bulb: …he’s taking the ■■■■, don’t let him. :bulb:

Franglais:

Conor:

Franglais:

If Nurglets goes out the gate in truck on day 1 and returns only on day 3, I reckon that’s 3 days’ pay. Doesn’t matter what day 2’s tacho says.
That’s my take, anyway.

Correct.

We had a regular job loading out of France first thing tues with a specific ferry to catch. Every now and again the specific ferry would move forward a day meaning we needed to load at 08.00 on a Monday. The first words out of my mouth to the customer were, ’ we will have to ship out Saturday and stand Sunday, so there’ll be an extra cost’. That meant I never struggled for volunteers because firstly they could park up where they wanted within reason, and secondly getting paid for 12 hours (double time sunday) for sitting in a french cafe was hardly onerous. What the tacho said was irrelevant, they were doing what I told them, in this case loiter for a day.

It’s up to the boss to make the job pay, not the driver.

albion:

Franglais:
That’s my take, anyway.

Correct.

We had a regular job loading out of France first thing tues with a specific ferry to catch. Every now and again the specific ferry would move forward a day meaning we needed to load at 08.00 on a Monday. The first words out of my mouth to the customer were, ’ we will have to ship out Saturday and stand Sunday, so there’ll be an extra cost’. That meant I never struggled for volunteers because firstly they could park up where they wanted within reason, and secondly getting paid for 12 hours (double time sunday) for sitting in a french cafe was hardly onerous. What the tacho said was irrelevant, they were doing what I told them, in this case loiter for a day.

It’s up to the boss to make the job pay, not the driver.

How do we differentiate this utopian vision with trampers only being paid for the hours they work not parked up wherever on daily rest.Or for that matter an employer telling the driver to extend that daily rest period to cater for a late drop or collection time to start the next day and/or park up early empty because there are no more jobs to do until the next day.Or bring the truck back empty and go home without pay for 1/2/3 or more days because we’ve got no work for it. :confused:

So everyone gets paid waiting time at usual wage rates what could possibly go wrong when the customer then says no thanks.The driver then not only loses the waiting time but also the wage for the job in this case obviously the 3rd drop.In which case might as well refuse to do the 3rd drop and go home instead after doing the 2 nd.

Ask your manager if he’d be willing to sit in the office for 24 hours unpaid… quite easy to guess his answer… should be yours too.

Dunno Carry, I was just pointing out what we did. Our customer never said no thanks.

albion:
Dunno Carry, I was just pointing out what we did. Our customer never said no thanks.

Same happened with my previous two employers. Paid (a day rate) from leaving depot until return.
Current employer we rarely sit for long, but since we’re salaried we don’t loose out if we have to wait.
Book it as rest (which it is) rather than duty or poa and it makes life easier.
No counting up odd minutes or quibbling about coffee breaks.
I trust my boss to pay me.
He trusts me not to skive off.
May not work at big outfits, but it should at smaller ones.
Edit to add.
C.F. where I’ve worked we don’t get told to ‘park up early’ or whatever. We aren’t given start times. We’re given a job, that may have timed drops on it. We then decide how to do it.
Some prefer late start / late finish; some prefer early start / early finish.
Those who want a very late start and a very early finish don’t get a Christmas card from the boss!