24hrs unpaid delay

Sorry if this has been covered already but I’m on mobile and at work so not easy for me to search up.

I was sent away for a 3-delivery run recently where I had to do the 1st two drops, then wait almost 24hrs before doing the 3rd drop and returning to the yard.

This isn’t a regular run at all but the wait was known in advance, I was ok with it as a different weekly run has a similar wait period, and there’s a payment the driver gets for it, not a full day’s wages but a reasonable amount.

My problem is now ive been told I’m not getting paid the waiting amount, as I was essentially on a long daily. I still had my weekly 45hr break as well so I’ve essentially lost a days wages because they don’t feel like paying for the wait.

Before I get emotional with them about it, is there a working time rule about known delays that I’ve missed that says a driver should be paid for them if in the lorry?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You are an employed driver aren’t you?
Just checking you’re not self-employed or an owner-driver or anything?

Franglais:
You are an employed driver aren’t you?
Just checking you’re not self-employed or an owner-driver or anything?

Full time employed, I used to do any work going, long distance and local, then in an official meeting was told i was then only doing a specific daily local run, but less money but home every night with family. I was approached to do this run to help them out due to illness.

Pay is nothing to do with WTD or driver’s hours regs or anything else.
If they’ve sent you up the road, then you should be expecting pay for it. Id a load isn’t ready, a tip can’t be made, or anything else, then that is not your responsibility. That is down to their organisation. Foreseen or not it’s not your fault the truck isn’t rolling.
You’re at work. You should be paid.
I personally would be prepared to “get emotional” about it.
Very emotional.

Helping them out because they’re stuck and this is how they repay you…or not as it’s turned out!
I would be getting very emotional too!
Did you know about not being payed for the wait before you agreed to do it?
I would have told them where to stick it but if that’s not an option I’d have made my apologies because you’ve got ‘an appointment’ or something.
Lesson learnt and move on.

Don’t worry I’m actually very miffed about it all, I just wondered if there’s a written rule I can quote before just going off on what should be done anyway

nurglets:
Don’t worry I’m actually very miffed about it all, I just wondered if there’s a written rule I can quote before just going off on what should be done anyway

I don’t know what your contract of employment says, (that’s what’s important here, nowt to do with hours laws), but if at work you should be paid.
Other factors would come into it, but I wouldn’t be planning on staying there.

It’s their planning that you wait nearly a day.

As franglais says, your contract of employment should lay out the payment schedule. If it isn’t clear, I’d still be mighty miffed. What would they do if it was a 2 day wait? How long exactly would they expect you to wait before they paid you some money? To my mind, you are under their instruction, so they are taking up your time and time (and skill) is what you trade for their money.

We would have paid minimum 8 hours.

All depends if your paid hourly or on a salary.
If salary then not a lot you can do if honest.

If I had to wait 24 hours or so I’d deffinatly not count it towards my weekly rest.
As weekly rest can’t be taken in a truck

edd1974:

If I had to wait 24 hours or so I’d deffinatly not count it towards my weekly rest.

If you’re on salary you’d be getting paid for it therefore there would be less issue with it.

My lot pay hourly, clock on until clock off, including delays so if I’m sat for hours at least I’m still getting paid. Granted most of that time is of their own making but still…

OP I too would be getting emotional about it.

Waiting has nothing to do with it your at work away from home you want paying even if its only 8 hours.
Time to be looking around,to move on to pastures new

edd1974:

Weekly rest can be taken in a truck.
There are rules concerning the ins’n’outs, but they probably wouldn’t affect the OP.

They’d be told to Foxtrot Oscar.

They planned for you to have a 24hr wait, away from home, AT WORK.

They can sure as ■■■■ pay for it. Penny pinching minute counters.

They should be paying you, especially if they haven’t said in advance that you wouldn’t be paid for the wait. (I wonder if that’s the reason the regular driver was unavailable to do it?)
If you ever get offered that run again, you know what to do. Complete the second drop, then drive back to the yard. Once you get there and spend the night at home, then head to the third drop the following day. Keep the wheels rolling, keep getting paid

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No pay No wait/stay
If still no pay, walk away

Back about 20yrs ago, I worked for a company who paid 20% of the earnings what the lorry earns. It sounded like a good idea but like yourself if you sat waiting to get tipped for a day, you get nothing. I lasted 3 months then walked away. They should have done the costing’s before they took the job on.

My advice is look for a different job.

Shame about the fuel of the future getting nicked eh!

Not sure of the exact legislation for it but I am sure if there is a precedence set for it, it firms part of a non written contract.

If the other driver has been getting paid it for several weeks or months, it is expected to be paid to you as well.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Only time you should be parked up away from home and not get paid is if you can’t legally work due to hours regs etc and even then I would expect some compensation even if only a token amount.
By the by did they pay you 2 nights out ie 1 either side of the standing time ? If so surely they are accepting that the standing time was work related and therefore should be paid for.

sorry to hear about your dilemma. hmmmm 24 hours its a long time have they tried to tell you its a 24 h reduced weekend break and you can now do another six on the bounce,. im not being entirly serious but it sounds like they trying it on to see how far they can push you
also if the tacho is in ( and not on break ) thats working and you expect to get paid for it