Rant

Loaded 26 pallets am Wednesday, Surrey to ■■■■■■■■ delayed at loading due to late fork lift driver.

Contacted delivery point to advise delivery time approx 1630, instead of 1530, they said ok, but any later than 1645, they will not tip as they close at 1700.

Got a good clear run and arrived at 1612, but gates locked, business closed for the day. I rang the contact, he said " see you at 0845 ". warehouse is unmanned and they have gone home.

No problem for me,16 hours chill time, but it screwed the next day for the company completely, turned a profit into a loss, as the back load was ruined.

I listen to Luke at lorry-driver.com and I read loads of posts about this, but WTF can be done■■?

It is ok for large companies to charge waiting etc, but a small company has to compete. if you start charging for this, then you will lose contracts.

Why are we treated this way? What can be done?

I see your pain and anguish at what happened and totally agree that it’s unacceptable for the delivery point to treat you and your company in this way!

HOWEVER, I and I’m sure many other will feel nothing will ever get done about this because there are way too many big boys who could stomach the loss on one truck for one day, and as soon as your boss makes any kind of protest regarding what happened the customer will probably stop using him and go somewhere cheaper!

Yep, we are screwed.
I can’t figure out how to change things.
If one company complains and dares to charge demurrage, then another one will undercut.

So after 27 years, I have had enough, time for change.

Snarley:
Yep, we are screwed.
I can’t figure out how to change things.
If one company complains and dares to charge demurrage, then another one will undercut.

So after 27 years, I have had enough, time for change.

Good luck with the change! Although as a driver you are screwed, you work long hours but take home a reasonable amount of money! Try and find another career path that pays the same! Unless you’re not financially challenged if u get my drift?

A reasonable amount??
I don’t call £23k PA a lot of money

If there is such a huge shortage of Class 1 drivers, then why are we not paid more?

oh I digress lol, don’t get me started#

The only time things will change is when there is a minimum cap on rates and a minimum amount of demurrage is made compulsory throughout the industry. Then you wont have trucks sat for hours on end just being used for external storage and maybe just maybe there will be a bit of urgency about people when you turn up for a delivery.

Snarley:
A reasonable amount??

If there is such a huge shortage of Class 1 drivers, then why are we not paid more?

oh I digress lol, don’t get me started#

Fair comment, although being a tramper and not wishing to show off, Im Hourly paid and get 4/5 nights out a week and earn a bit more than that!
Trouble is I’m not trained to do anything else and where I live the only other wage I could earn is minimum wage!
If you can hang the keys up good luck, cos this wont ever get any better!

To shut up shop early when they know a guy is gonna turn up at any minute is well out of order :unamused:

A few years ago I was on an industrial estate and there was a fella really struggling to get his tri into a yard with all the parked cars etc so I hopped out and helped him - went off did my drop round the corner, came back - there he was again trying to back out of the yard - so I helped him again and I said what was the problem and he said “they’ve just quit for lunch and they don’t want me on their premises” :exclamation: :exclamation:

WTF!!

If this sort of attitude by companys ■■■■■■■ off home before they should happens once a month its too many times…pity you didnt have a Moffet on the back tip the bleeder and leave…they mite think twice next time. total ■■■■■■■■■ :sunglasses:

The thing that gets me about these tossers is how they tell you to come back in the morning with maybe one pallet as if it’s a reasonable request, with not a hint of apology in their voice, I just say “yeh no problem mate” and watch the surprise and dissapointment in their face when they think they have failed to ■■■■ you off.

Years back i was on tilts and had 3 or 4 drops on up north and got to my last drop in Peterlee at at about 6pm , a chap came out and said you missed the day lads by about half an hour…i said never mind it will do in the morning, his answer was where you stopping tonight? probably on the estate just up here, he said stop in here its safer and if you dont mind waiting for the night lads that come on at 9 o.clock they will tip you, i said thats good of you, can i drop the trailer and go and get some supper…to my suprise he said ill take you down to town if you want to the best takeout and bring you back before i knock off…cant get better than that…tipped by the night lads …and got a lie in …thats called service not ■■■■■■ cant be arsed service !.

Snarley:
A reasonable amount??

There’s your problem right there. Its how you value things. Right across the whole of Europe and UK there’s loads of people who would love to have a job paying 23k. Probably the guy who should of waited for you decided he didn’t want the overtime. Just like the rest of us, he wants to get home after his days work. It’ll all be there tomorrow for him just the same.
I’m unsure what angle you’re coming from when you complain about this scenario and when you ask…“what can be done”? If you’re an employee then the loss is down to your boss, if you’re self employed or own account its down to your contract.
Maybe the warehouse worker thinks like you and is on about 18k a year and thinks they can shove that hours overtime where the sun don’t shine, i can’t be arsed with it its not worth it.
I’m sure after 27 years in the game you’ve see it all.

When there’s too many trucks chasing too little work its just tough ■■■■■ unless you’re a haulage god who’s bumming his customers.