WTD whats the real story?

having spoke to several people about the wtd including someone involved in running a large haulage firm it’s become obviouse that after all the panic that it dosen’t actually effect many firms or drivers if the drivers are educated into using the tacho to record breaks and poa’s when waiting to load/unload it’s quite possible for them to carry on doing sixty or more hours a week, obviously this dosn’t go for every type of driving but as i understand it, if your do a job that involves waiting to tip or load for any lengh of time your sorted. if this is the case why are we hearing of firms who actually want their drivers to only do 48 hours? we,ve heard from a few lads on here that they’ve had their pay cut by £100 etc but surely the people running these firms aren’t stupid and will have studied the wtd inside out. i’ve tried to put myself in their shoes to see what the advantage is of reducing drivers hours but i just can’t see any finacial benefit unless those firms are saying to their drivers you’ll only get paid for hours recorded as work so if your parked up waiting to tip your doing it on your own time, but who’s going to stand for that?

Paulb,

my agency has told me that they are paying for POA - and quite right too! Not paying would be like Tescos CHeckout girls not earning during the quiet times when no-one is at their tills. It’s tough! Supermarkets have to pay them for their ‘attendance’. Same is/should be true for trucking. Or like an office and the computer system goes down - ‘Sorry guys, it won’t be back for a couple of hours, so put it on your time-sheet and we won’t pay you for it’.

If you are doing your job, arrive at an RDC etc, if they delay you by not being able to tip/load you then fine, these things happen, but how on earth can anyone justify saying you don’t get paid for YOUR time because of delays caused by someone else!

Don’t stand for it.

Jay your right…and if every driver sticks to his/her guns theres no problem…i dont think any company would dare say to a driver im not paying you if you have to wait to tip or load..i know what i would do..if theyre not paying you..then its your own time..and i would say ..ok boss what time shall i get back to the truck…im just popping into town…or failing that…tell them where to stick it…

JayHoe:
but how on earth can anyone justify saying you don’t get paid for YOUR time because of delays caused by someone else!

Which is also my thoughts with regard to your break; it is some one else (the law) that says I have to take 45 mins break so why do some agencies/companies deduct 45 mins from your working (pay) day?? :imp:

Having said that, I usually manage to ‘balance the books’ by the time the timesheet is submitted!! :wink: