Smoking

wirksworth rod:

commonrail:
I quit with an ecig…no problem at all.

me to happy days

Mix me own juice aswell.
Works out at 42p for 10ml

Never touched a ■■■ in my life. My dad used to smoke again after he split with my mum. Had friends at uni that started social smoking then ended up on 30 a day.

Ive been smoking since 15 tried and failed x 10+ to quit, happend to walk past a vape shop, got talking to the hippie on the counter who with hindsight was a hell of a sales man as I bimbled out 70 quid lighter. Smoked my last ■■■ in the car on the way home. Haven’t touched one since. Benefits are I’ve saved a fortune, cigarette smoking is a nuisance, restrictive and obviously bad for you. Down side I’ve discovered the world and everyone and everything in it stinks myself included. I swear I must be part bloodhound and never knew

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Gave up 8 years ago. That was my 3rd attempt, not had a ciggy since. Keep trying and if you want to pack it in you will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam277:
Is it really a big deal to smoke in the cab?

Quit smoking for 12 months, then come back and answer this question yourself :smiley:

I quit 7 years ago, and I just decided to go cold turkey. It was quite difficult, but the benefits far outweigh the pain (which starts getting a lot less after about 1 week).

Like I said in an earlier post I was spending nigh on £20 so why do I not feel any financial benefits now I’m spending on average about a fiver
per week ■■?

I smoked from the age of about 14 through to 3 months ago (age 51) when I gave up with the aid of Champix.
I found that having the right incentive was very important to kick a 50 a day habit.
For me it was ending up in hospital a year ago with an autoimmune condition that effected my lungs quite badly, my consultant was convinced from a CT scan that I had lung cancer, as it turned out after an endoscopy and PET scan I didn’t and it was inflammation and scaring caused by the overriding autoimmune condition I had.
At first I was advised it’s that bad that there was no point in giving up the ■■■■, but when it was found I didn’t have lung cancer the emphasis changed to give up as soon as poss, it took me a further 9 months to manage it though.

All the info your fed will tell you how smoking can cause cancer and death, fair enough, you assume it will never happen to you, but I was remarkably chilled when I was told I’d probably be dead quite soon, but what wasn’t quite so clear to me was that I could end up still alive and with something like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), I have it now for the rest of my life, it will never get better, quitting smoking now will slow it’s progress, but it’s only manageable, not treatable. It’s left me unable to walk far, I can’t even manage 1 flight of stairs with out getting completely out of breath and having to stop for a break half way up. I am unable to lead a life anywhere near the physical level I used to

Stupid I know but I would still love another smoke now, but obviously resist.

I wouldn’t tell anyone to give up, it’s their decision, but I would urge any smokers to make themselves aware of all the possible implications of smoking, not just the life threatening headline cancers, but also the numerous conditions it can cause that whilst they don’t kill you (at least not in the immediate short term), they can severely ■■■■ your life and mean you’re unable to ever work again.

Smoked for just shy of 30yrs (roll-ups for over 15yrs of them) and I just stopped dead nearly 4yrs ago (this July)

Don’t miss it whatsoever, never fancied the vaping thing so didn’t bother switching to it, my Wife quit a couple of months after me but went the vaping route and she still vapes now.

Biggest downside is the 4 & 1/2 stone (ok nearly 5) that I’ve piled on in these last 4yrs but that’s my own fault at the end of the day.

Reef:
Smoked for just shy of 30yrs (roll-ups for over 15yrs of them) and I just stopped dead nearly 4yrs ago (this July)

Don’t miss it whatsoever, never fancied the vaping thing so didn’t bother switching to it, my Wife quit a couple of months after me but went the vaping route and she still vapes now.

Biggest downside is the 4 & 1/2 stone (ok nearly 5) that I’ve piled on in these last 4yrs but that’s my own fault at the end of the day.

:laughing: No need to tell me about it.

mrginge:

adam277:
Is it really a big deal to smoke in the cab? The smell doesnt bother me but I’ve heard non-smokers get arsey about it.

It bothers the rest of us non smokers though when the cab smells and also our hands/fingers smell from the steering wheel.

Got to agree mate, and I ■■■■ hate it tbh, being a non smoker myself.
What makes me laugh is the way smokers almost question your masculinity if you complain about ita :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: , and also how they ALWAYS say they have 'smoked with the window open, or ‘air freshnered the cab, so how tf can you smell it’ …trust me a non smoker can and does, end of, and find it ■■■■ obnoxious.

I do however sympathise with long term smokers wanting to stop, and realise it must be bloody difficult with it being an addiction of sorts.
My mate has smoked heavily since a kid (and the ■■■■ has made me suffer years of passive smoking :smiley: ) although tbf he knows better than to smoke in my house, car or truck.
Anyway I reckon if he can stop smoking by going on to vaping, which he has, then absolutely ANYBODY can.
My boy has also stopped with it, and at least 8 more I can think of, so it does work.

robroy:
What makes me laugh is the way smokers almost question your masculinity if you complain about it

Cup of tea sweetie? :grimacing:

(Second attempt to convey sentiment, first got moderated… :laughing: )

I started smoking when I was a kid and I mean very young, not even in double digits, by the time I reached mid 40’s I was getting through 40 - 60 a day then one weekend I was not feeling to good, I had a congestion and flue setting in, I don’t know how I did it but I stopped there and then and have never smoked one since that weekend.
I don’t expect you to be able to do that but I am surprised how I managed, I even kept an open pack in my truck cab, I even lit one a couple of times, never actually inhaled and threw each one out of the window.

Did they screw the flue to your head or glue it on. :wink:

rigsby:
I started smoking when I was 12 , mum rewarded errands and chores with 5 Woodbines . Dad didn’t like it but on my 16th birthday he had a ■■■ with me , a sort of rite of passage . It was so normal back then and modern nurses look at me in horror when I tell them that bedside cabinets in hospitals were provided with an ashtray . I’ve never given smoking up and at 75 I might have left it a bit late . I’ll probably soon cease to be a burden on the state , but think of the tax they will lose .

Don’t it make you feel old!

I started smoking in hospital, spent a few months in traction age 21 in 1979 and started smoking out of boredom. Carried on when I came out and smoked, well pretty much chain smoked for 30 years. I tried to slow down, had a theory if i smoked cigars which I hated I’d get fed up and stop but just ended on 35 hamlet a day, and when we lived in Spain it was a cheap habit so no incentive to stop.

I used to enjoy smoking and never really wanted to stop plus I dont have a lot of will power. Seven years ago for no real reason I just decided not to smoke any more, and just haven’t. Never had any real urges to either so thats what makes me question the physical dependence thing, for me it really was all in the mind.

Unlike some ex smokers the smell of someone elses smoke doesnt bother me at all, wouldn’t much like to use a truck that smelt like an ashtray though.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Reef:

Ah yeah, thats the other thing I conveniently forgot about. I had exactly that happen to me!

Put on 5 st in about 2 years, not changed since. Wish I had the will power to lose that, for me weight is a million times harder to lose than a ■■■ habit.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:
What makes me laugh is the way smokers almost question your masculinity if you complain about it

Those pesky moderators. Apparently you can’t call somebody a cactus either…

I smoked 20 a day for about 15 years and then went cold turkey. However, whenever I had a few drinks would always end up smoking. Was quite lucky that I never carried on the day after though.
I then decided you buy an ecig for when I drank so didn’t have to go on the cigs. The problem now though is I always have the ecig in my gob!!!

I’m using a ecig with no nicotine now. Find myself using it a lot more but not getting anything out of it. Gonna give it a few more days then give that up.

the nodding donkey:

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

Those pesky moderators. Apparently you can’t call somebody a cactus either…

Think yourself lucky, my entire post, and poor attempt at sarcasm and irony, about my opinion on moderation on this thread has gone without trace… :open_mouth:
It’s getting a bit Stasi esque on here lately :smiley:

Btw, If I disappear in the night somebody come and look for me for Christs sake. :open_mouth:
I have kids !
:laughing:

I smoked 30 a day, stopped 8 years ago by refusing to put one in my mouth. Hard at 1st, but the health benefits are worth it.
The missus could not stop, was smoking a 40g pouch every day! Then she discovered e cigs and has never rolled one since.

We saved about £6000 a year.

Thats got to be motivation enough.