Smoking

Not sure if this will work for you but my missus read the below book and quite smoking halfway through reading it. I thought she was taking the ■■■■ tbh but sure enough she stopped and finished the book as well and she’s not touched one in 3 1/2 years now.

amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B012YR … r+easy+way

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

adam277:
Is it really a big deal to smoke in the cab? The smell doesnt bother me but I’ve heard non-smokers get arsey about it.

It bothers the rest of us non smokers though when the cab smells and also our hands/fingers smell from the steering wheel.

I gave up cold turkey style. I found it was down to really wanting to. One day, I was on a packet of 20, the next, I ended up unexpectedly a lone parent to two small children who had been living with their mother up to that point (we were separated), that was all the motivation I needed. Wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be tbh. I took it in small steps in my thinking: I don’t wake up craving a ■■■ in the middle of the night (I’ve never smoked in the bedroom anyway), if I can go half hour without a ■■■, I can go an hour, if an hour, I can go 2 and so on till it was days… Although I understand everyone’s circumstances are different it still comes down to really wanting to and not making a half hearted attempt at it. After 3 days, I found my sense of smell was back and the stench of ■■■■ was everywhere.

I smoked for years till I tried the vape and not looked back since .
Only cost me £10 a week in juice .
Smells like air freshener too [emoji106] now the wife don’t moan at me now either .

As for trying to quit ! It’s either quit or don’t , no try ! Oh if you want to swap to vaping ? Go to a vape shop and try different setups and flavours as they will have many .
Sure the initial lay out could be £50+ easy but you’ll get that back within a month if you stick to it .

Was a 40 a day man for 10 years, gradually reduced down to 20 a day, on / off the tabs for another 5 years, vaping / E-cig for 2 years, now smoke free for the last year.

Another vaper, getting on for 2 years now, from 40+ a day to zero instantly.

i smoked from 15 to 27 up to 40 a day when on deliveries to the then London docks etc, queuing for sometimes days to unload, so nothing to do but puff, but then I had an excuse to try to give up, my sister was left with three children to bring up on her own and said she could not afford to smoke, so I said if you give it up so will I, it was hard but I could not let her down and she was as keen as I was to succeed, it worked for me ( and her) and I’m 63 this year, I suffer quite bad if in smokey areas with breathing and very runny eyes, I think anything that helps you on the way is a good thing, and especially less smelly people and fewer buts on the floors,

Helps a lot if you have a real incentive to stop, mine was early retirement at 61! I already had a reasonable private pension that I could claim at 61 that I could survive on until I was 65 and draw my state pension, stopping smoking saved enough for me to do better than survive as I was on 40 a day. A little help with nicotine chewing gun for a couple of months clinched the deal and I have not smoked since.
It is hard, for a long time after I quit I still had a craving when I had a drink, or if anyone else was smoking near me, but those situations are getting easier to avoid.

Martin:
Helps a lot if you have a real incentive to stop, mine was early retirement at 61! I already had a reasonable private pension that I could claim at 61 that I could survive on until I was 65 and draw my state pension, stopping smoking saved enough for me to do better than survive as I was on 40 a day. A little help with nicotine chewing gun for a couple of months clinched the deal and I have not smoked since.
It is hard, for a long time after I quit I still had a craving when I had a drink, or if anyone else was smoking near me, but those situations are getting easier to avoid.

I know a few people who have done that mate… couple of beers etc. and the thought of ‘Sod it, why not, can’t hurt to have the one’ then back on the ■■■■ soon enough.

I smoked for 54 years and not once have I have a craving for a ■■■ while having a drink, but quite often the wife will make me crave for another drink … :laughing:

edit … 53 years !

Gave up 11 years ago, along with the wife … We were spending more on ■■■■ a month than what we paid mortgage at the time … :open_mouth:

Gave up a long time ago went cold turkey had just decorated the house said nobody to smoke in it finished the packet on a Saturday night didn’t have enough cash in house to go buy which meant if I wanted any had to go get money then go buy but kept busy all day in house then another day & so it went

Now I know if anyone has been smoking can smell it a mile off weather in cab or not my daughter gave up last year going cold turkey as well

29 years a smoker and then in 1989 we wanted one of them new fangled video recorder machines. I said to the Mrs that I’d give up the smokes if we put the money to it. Never touched one since. It was about the fourth attempt, but was surprisingly easy this last time. No patches and ecigs hadn’t been invented. For about six weeks I was so laid back you wouldn’t believe it, but I was also on a hair trigger, so best treated with respect :slight_smile: I’m now back to my grumpy bleedin’ miserable self.

adam277:
How many ex-smokers we got on here?

Attempting to quit at the moment as I want to get on tanks in the future. Also the prices are getting stupid spending £200+ month on cigarettes.
Did you guys struggle to quit smoking while driving? gone from 20 a day to 0.
I also might be getting a job that will be cab sharing and I’d rather not ■■■■ the other guy off.

Is it really a big deal to smoke in the cab? The smell doesnt bother me but I’ve heard non-smokers get arsey about it. Also do e-cigs leave much of a smell? I’m using that to quit.

Im an ex smoker. I smoked for 40 years plus. I made up my mind to quit in 2007, when the smoking in the workplace laws kicked in. I gave up completely, and used the nicotine gum to take the edge off the craving. After a couple of weeks I weaned myself off the gum with normal chewing gum. I dont like chewing gum, period, so I was quickly clear of it. The main ingredient to giving up smoking is actually wanting to do it. Without that, nothing on this earth will stop you smoking.
As an ex smoker, I absolutely hate the smell of tobacco smoke, and smoking parraphanalia in general. Im so sensetive to it that I can pick up the smell of tobacco off a steering wheel used by another guy who rolls his own.
I wish you the very best of luck in your endevours to quit. If you succeed, youll very quickly realise that it was the best days work youve ever done.

I quit in 2006, not because I wanted to but my mate wanted to stop smoking he lasted a day. I just stopped, cold turkey no issues. I don’t see how people who vape are really quitting. They still suffer the habit, its trying to break the cycle. Ie if you feel like a cigarette take a sip of water or glass, it’s helpful to the body and it takes your mind off of it. If stuck on the road, go for a walk. It’s all in the head.

never started.used to think the kids at school looked stupid with a ■■■ hanging out the side of their gob…and how i laughed when anyone caught, got the cane :laughing:

I smoked around 25 a day for as many years, until I got Bronchitus, and couldn’t face a ■■■ for about a month. Once I got better, I was already past the worst of the cravings (which seem to peak around the 3 week mark) so it was just an obvious next step “not to bother going back to smoking” at that point.

It helped that the missus paced me by giving up around the same time.

In my neck of the woods we seem to have the youngsters still smoking normal cigs heavily, the immigrants smoking roll ups, and those middle aged folk vaping.

There aren’t any “elderly” smokers mind… Probably for the John Cleese reason.

adam277:
How many ex-smokers we got on here?

Attempting to quit at the moment as I want to get on tanks in the future. Also the prices are getting stupid spending £200+ month on cigarettes.
Did you guys struggle to quit smoking while driving? gone from 20 a day to 0.
I also might be getting a job that will be cab sharing and I’d rather not ■■■■ the other guy off.

Is it really a big deal to smoke in the cab? The smell doesnt bother me but I’ve heard non-smokers get arsey about it. Also do e-cigs leave much of a smell? I’m using that to quit.

I quit when I had a really bad chest infection, I could hardly breathe and thought I was dying that did it for me,wouldn’t recommend it not even for my worst enemy,but I haven’t had one for about six or seven years and never will.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

commonrail:
I quit with an ecig…no problem at all.

me to happy days

I smoked for 30 years, attempted to give up many times managing 9 months without in 1992. Finally succeeded in 2001. The difference that time was that I’d finally convinced myself I really wanted to quit and was thinking I was winning and could do it. Previously it was, ‘I’m doing OK, hope I can keep it up’.
My wife finally stopped about 7 years ago after many failed attempts. In the end, she wanted to quit badly enough and then found it reasonably easy.
Tablets/gum/patches can all help, but it’s winning the mental battle that matters.

1. Convince yourself you really, really want to stop.
  2. Pick a date a week two ahead when you won’t face other pressures.
  3. In the run up, concentrate your mind on all the negatives of smoking.
    4 Do it.

Good luck.