Smoking and lorry driving

Good morning all,

I hope you are all well.

Basically, I am looking for advice on quitting smoking as a trucker. The main cravings are when I am waiting about or during real heavy traffic. When I’m at home I actually don’t smoke as I’m around my family. I seem to smoke around work times which is odd. Many driver’s, actually all the driver’s smoke at my company, so this also doesn’t help.

I was wondering if any of you guys have similar issue’s at work, I’m interested in knowing what people did to quit and what coping mechanisms they used when cravings are sky Hugh. As mentioned my cravings are around boredom and waiting about.

Any tips are very welcome as I want to try and quit for good, thank you in advance for any comments.

Cheers

Get a vape.

I gave up twenty years ago, I used to work nights, I had a craving by the time I had my 45 minute break bt I just thought, stick it out till the morning, then I will be asleep as soon as I get home. I used the techniques described in a book by Alan Carr, “How to stop smoking”, the craving will go, it gets less each day, I never think about them now, in fact, I hate the sight of them, what could be more ugly than a full ashtray, you can do it, you will feel so much better.

Only takes will power and determination,as you say you don`t smoke at home so why at work.The other thing is,and know some will have their say, but it is illegal or was to smoke in any company vehicle,if your company is ignoring the law drivers will also. When that law was passed the company I worked for made it a disciplinary matter,especially if a non smoker got in a cab and made an objection. I smoked for years and packed up the day before my grandaughters 3rd birthday when I ran out of baccy and matches that was 16 years ago,1st 3 weeks was the worst,now I can smell baccy smoke yards away.

I started…

Puffing away on Players number 6 when I was 15. By the time I was 21 and passed my test I was ploughing my through at least 20 JPS black a day. My taste strengthened when I started driving on t’continent and I was hacking my way through nearly 40 Marlboro red a day. My final days with the weed were making my own with filter, Golden Virginia rollies. I found on nights far from being bad for my health they, actually kept me from falling asleep at the wheel and dying in a fiery wreck by rolling them up at 56mph.

Therefore, if I can give them all up then you, being such a lightweight smoker should have no trouble at all. It really is all in your head. You have to kill the demon inside before you can extinguish the fire outside. I just went cold turkey, packed away my Zippo lighter, baccy tin and got on with my life.

For the record, I still want one with a beer but I have to say I do find the smell of it now rather un-pleasant.

I used a vape to quit smoking, took about 6 months and now have no cravings for either at all. Don’t buy a pen type one as they are not strong or reliable enough. Spend about £60 on a decent one and you’ll soon prefer it to cigs. If you buy the 100ml bottles of juice you add your own nicotine so it’s easy to gradually reduce the strength to get to 0% nicotine. I ended up quitting with no withdrawal symptoms at all

apart from all the other advice could you not just leave your ■■■■ where you cant reach them when your driving?

my mate did that with grub on a night trunk and lost 2 stone as he would munch through crisps and stuff because he was bored when driving.
leave them in the wet locker.

I tried everything from licking pub ashtrays (actually it was chewing gum the doctor prescribed) to nicotine patches. I argued that it wasn’t the nicotine I was craving but the taste, habit and the feeling of wellness whilst smoking. Bare in mind we spend longer at work than at home these days and most people don’t smoke in bed these days.

I went cold turkey when I got with the present wife! Her kids never smoked, she never smoked. I am 4 years in and can honestly say I’m a non smoker. If none of this works, Chuck 10 or 20 quid to your wife every day and I bet she spends it on herself [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:
apart from all the other advice could you not just leave your ■■■■ where you cant reach them when your driving?

my mate did that with grub on a night trunk and lost 2 stone as he would munch through crisps and stuff because he was bored when driving.
leave them in the wet locker.

I did that when the smoking ban kicked in. I would be thinking. Next services I will stop for a ■■■, when you get near you think, sod it. I will stop at the next one and so it goes on.

I slowly cut back for a month, then when I was down to 2 a day I stopped. It worked for me and I was a heavy smoker. First month was hard after I quit but slowly it gets better. Unbelievable I got the odd craving for about 3 years. I quit about 5 years ago and I think I was a right sucker to throw all that money away on ■■■■.

I had many failed attempts to kick the habit before finally quiting in 2001 having smoked for 30 years.
It’s all about getting your head in the right place before you quit. If you really WANT to stop smoking it’s not difficult.
Use any substitute that works for you, but the vital ingredient is making the firm decision you are going to stop.

Crossy86:
Good morning all,

I hope you are all well.

Basically, I am looking for advice on quitting smoking as a trucker. The main cravings are when I am waiting about or during real heavy traffic. When I’m at home I actually don’t smoke as I’m around my family. I seem to smoke around work times which is odd. Many driver’s, actually all the driver’s smoke at my company, so this also doesn’t help.

I was wondering if any of you guys have similar issue’s at work, I’m interested in knowing what people did to quit and what coping mechanisms they used when cravings are sky Hugh. As mentioned my cravings are around boredom and waiting about.

Any tips are very welcome as I want to try and quit for good, thank you in advance for any comments.

Cheers

Allen Carr - There’s a book from him if you want to read it, you will quit easily once you understand the whle issue with smoking, the problem is staying away. Once you quit you must quit for good, none of this ‘oh I’ll just have one with my beer/coffee/whatever, I haven’t smoked in 3 months, I’m not gonna get hooked again’ - you will. There was a video about 45 mins on youtube by A. Carr’s team which was basically a condensed version of the book but I can’t find it anymore.

uncle was a 60 a day man ,he had acupuncture a little needle placed behind his ear,touch it anytime he felt the craving. this worked well till the needle fell out it had turned a horrid yellowey brown colour

I quit 12 years ago and had smoked 17 years previously.

Now I no longer have cravings and can’t be doing with the stink associated with tabs.

As previously posted, if you’re REALLY concerned about your health and REALLY want to stop then going cold turkey is the best plan of action.

You’ll be wound up, even angry for the first 2 or 3 weeks but it’ll be an investment in the future of your own, and your family’s lives.

Personally, I find it ridiculous that ■■■/baccy producing companies exploit the hold they have over ■■■/tab smokers and make gazillions in the process.

Wise up folks, assert yourselves and knock em on the head. Unless you can’t be bothered, of course and love a smoke - it’s a free county [emoji38]

Thanks for the post. I agree with that approach as well.

Smoking ain’t no good is it at all, sooner I quit the better.

Other than vapes, gums etc… What would you recommend as a way to overcome boredom and to beat the cravings?

Cheers

Ref the boredom factor…a mate of mine identified that besides the nicotine issue, smoking was really just ‘something to do’ when driving.
To take his mind off it, he got really into audiobooks…found authors/subjects that engaged him and he didn’t think about smoking any more.
Weaned himself off audiobooks and onto Radio 4…cheaper!

Its already been said that its willpower alone will get you through, you will be looking for all sorts of excuses to have 1 a day or one after meals only but don’t give in. I still fancied a ■■■ 10 years after quitting but the temptation soon passes. Just keep reminding yourself what a silly habit it is spending all that money to harm your health. Whatever way you do it its hard.

Vapings got a lot to recommend,as long as you do it scientifically,the right mods (switchers are good) bit of a learning curve tbh but I guarantee if you prevail you won’t go near the putrid ■■■■ again.The stench of hell itself.

Me and a good mate had both smoked for about 20 years, roll ups mostly. We were having a beer one night and both of ran out of papers so as bit of a drunken bet decided we’d give up. Consequently it turned into a bit of a competition between us and we joked about how we’d start smoking again when we got to retirement age!

Must admit it was a bit easier for me to give up by having someone to “challenge” in a way. So I suppose if you can get someone else to give up too, that might help. Easier said than done I know.

My biggest concern then was I started snacking more, to keep the hands busy I suppose. Not on rubbish though fruit and nuts mostly, so consequently I’ve gained a few pounds but feel a whole lot better.

Good luck with it.

Tried everything, patches, vapes, cold turkey nothing worked. This was when I was on the buses, a very short shuttle run of about 15 mins each way, ciggie at each end. Nurse got me on a course of the Champix pills, havent smoked a cigarette for 4 years. They are not for everyone, any kind of mental health issues they wont prescribe as they can screw with your brain. 3 months worth and you have to finish the course even if you think you are clear of the cravings.
I can even enjoy a cigar every now and then and not even think about starting to smoke again properly.