Smoking and lorry driving

When i tried tostop, i took advice to get out of certain habits…like in the morning have one with a cup of tea…or wherever you did smoke, break that chain, i also got from the doctor, what i thought was the best on the market, it was called CHAMPIX and it really worked…I also tried another method afterwards with an E cig…that too worked…i have also read so many bad remarks about Vaping, that they are in fact worse than smoking…i cant stand it when my daughter fills the conservatory with strawberry smoke, we dont smoke indoors and can shut the door to the conservatory, but it has a door to the garden which i open, she doesnt. As you can tell, i went back to smoking, mainly because i actually enjoy it, believing there are more dangerous things that will kill me, other than a smoke, oh, and watch your diet as well, as your physique will balloon. :smiley:

I smoked at least 40 a day for many years,then I got a real bad chest infection,in the cab at two in the morning i could hardly catch a breath,i really thought that i was going to die that night,no more incentive needed ,cold turkey ,gave it up right then.It is not something I would recommend, but,it worked for me.

My good lady, although not a driver, gave up around 4 years ago by starting with the Champix, and then latterly, vaping, and she had smoked for 30 years.

One day she sat down and worked out what she was saving by not smoking, and taking into consideration the cost of vaping per annum, and the fact she was only a light smoker, she reckoned on saving around £1750 per year. An incentive if ever there was one.

Her opinion was that the government gets enough out of her as a tax payer without them fleecing her through smoking as well.

I however, am one of the lucky ones in the fact that at 55, I have never smoked in my life.

Ken.

> Quinny:
> My good lady, although not a driver, gave up around 4 years ago by starting with the Champix, and then latterly, vaping, and she had smoked for 30 years.
> I however, am one of the lucky ones in the fact that at 55, I have never smoked in my life.Ken.

Very lucky I would say - now you can kiss her both ends without coughing :unamused:

smoking and lorry driving are totally different things,
smoking can cause illness, receive aggression from others as most are disgusting smelly people who litter every where they go,
lorry drivers on the other hand, can cause illness, receive aggression from others as most are disgusting smelly people who litter every where they, oh hold on perhaps they are the same, sorry carry on.

Defo get a vape.

Fuzrat:
Nurse got me on a course of the Champix pills, havent smoked a cigarette for 4 years. They are not for everyone, any kind of mental health issues they wont prescribe as they can screw with your brain. 3 months worth and you have to finish the course even if you think you are clear of the cravings.
I can even enjoy a cigar every now and then and not even think about starting to smoke again properly.

what a load of bs

I was a 40 - 60 a day smoker for 40 years. I tried and failed to quit loads of times. Eventually I was struggling to undo the curtains on my trailer, needed a rest after each side and I decided something had to be done. I went to bed and decided that I was no longer a smoker. Next morning I bought an “inhilator” fake ■■■ with nicotine capsules. I used it when driving (never had another ■■■ from that morning) until I realised that it ran out of nicotine after 15 minutes. I was happy sucking on it for hours at a time. Instead of nicotine capsules I put menthol filters in it and that worked for a few weeks. Once I made the decision that I was no longer a smoker it was easy. Eventually I tried ordinary gum for a while (I hate the stuff but it worked) to cure the boredom. I haven’t smoked for 10 years and in all honesty never really missed it.
All I can say is that you have to really want to be a non-smoker or nothing will work.

Is the smoking ban in a workplace, ie a lorry cab, still in force?

As regards packing up, I did that 50 years ago. Found an old pipe from teenage years in a drawer and thought I’d give it a try so bought an ounce of tobacco and put away the cigs. I didn’t like it one bit, it was too hot in my mouth and throat and it gave me indigestion, but I was too mean to chuck away the ounce and pressed on to the end.

Once finished I never bought another packet of cigarettes, and have never missed it. :joy: I do hate others’ smoke though and was very pleased when it was banned in bars and restaurants.

Ironically nicotine isn’t really a health hazard in any trues sense rather than the say hundreds of extra chemicals added to your average pack of gaspers.

I too have quit successfully using the Alan Carr method. There used to be a condensed version on youtube about 30 mins long but it’s gone now. The real issue is staying away afterwards, don’t fall into the trap of ‘‘Oh it was so easy to quit, I haven’t smoked for 1/2/3 years so it’s ok if I have just 1 ciggy with my mates right now’’ as it will hook you right back. Once a smoker, always a smoker so for those of you who do manage to do it stay out for good.

We all know the stuff in cigarettes but when you read about it, wow killer sticks

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke and other places they are found:

• Acetone—found in nail polish remover

• Acetic acid—an ingredient in hair dye

• Ammonia—a common household cleaner

• Arsenic—used in rat poison

• Benzene—found in rubber cement and gasoline

• Butane—used in lighter fluid

• Cadmium—active component in battery acid

• Carbon monoxide—released in car exhaust fumes

• Formaldehyde—embalming fluid

• Hexamine—found in barbecue lighter fluid

• Lead—used in batteries

• Naphthalene—an ingredient in mothballs

• Methanol—a main component in rocket fuel

• Tar—material for paving roads

• Toluene—used to manufacture paint

I’m feeling a bit smug after reading all this, I’m 85 and I’ve never smoked, when I was at school I tried it just once, I nearly choked to death and decided ‘this is not for you Brian lad’, and that was it…I’ve never smoked. :slightly_smiling_face:

Totally false: Nicotine can be fatal at doses of around 500mg, an amount equivalent to the size of a paracetamol tablet.

i was reading that on Formby beach is a giant cliff of tobacco waste from a nearby baccy factory closed years back.Youd think insurance would cover clearing that away now