Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer:

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:
A village scene from the 1960s. The landscape gardener is busy attending to the flowers at the
Royal Oak pub. His Morris van is parked at the side of the building. A Bristol single deck bus is
leaving the village on its rural journey. Painting by transport artist Trevor Mitchell.
Click picture for larger image.

Ray Smyth.

A really nice painting, Ray, and one that I wouldn’t kick off the wall. Is that a Morris Minor van in the background nosed up to a Ford Anglia, and what about the combination, a Beezer? :smiley:

Can’t place the light coloured car though. :confused:

You sure that is a BSA, to me it looks more like a Panther well known power unit on a sidecar outfit, Buzzer

To me i go for the Panther sloper ,fairly sure about that —toshboy

Buzzer and toshboy got me looking for a Panther and this S120 with a Watsonian sidecar fits it to a T.
Oily

Panther_S120_with_Watsonian_double_adult_sidecar Pete bb3 cc by sa 4.0.jpg

oiltreader:
Buzzer and toshboy got me looking for a Panther and this S120 with a Watsonian sidecar fits it to a T.
Oily

Eddie, Thanks for the Panther detail, cheers, Ray.

When i posted a picture of the DTS F89 on scrapbook memories from a couple of years ago i forgot i had taken this photo that was displayed on the Volvo of a collage of photo’s of Wilson’s of Boroughbridge it could go in so many different threads so just put it in this.

is it my new specs, or does that side car look the wrong way round?? aerodynamically as well as the kid looking backwards…

m.a.n rules:
is it my new specs, or does that side car look the wrong way round?? aerodynamically as well as the kid looking backwards…

Right way round m.a.n rules you can just about see the top of the footwell part, the child is in the luggage “boot”.
Cheers
Oily

m.a.n rules:

Pretty sure it’s the right way round. This is my father’s Sloper. 600cc Panther with rigid rear suspension and double-adult Watsonian sidecar.

oiltreader:
Thanks to stevejones, Ray Smyth and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Turriff, that’s was my part of the country many years ago Buzzer.
A bit further south from Montrose.
Oily

Turriff is a nice town Oily.I went there many times to Caribonum Ltd up Market Hill Road with Toluene,Acetone and MEK in 70s.Canvey Island to Turriff was a good trip in a MK5 MM and Mandator. :smiley:
Had one or two pints in the Fife Arms……………… :laughing:

She stands well n a good load on her

Spardo:

windrush:
Regarding the sheeting/roping of certain lorries can somebody explain please how Whitbread secured theirs as it doesn’t look as though the body sides drop down? Are there rings in the floor, there appears to be something below the floor where the straps are (or are they hinges?) and I have seen various pics of their Leylands and Fodens and all have the same type bodies. Not my pic but copied from the webb.

Pete.

Interesting Pete, especially as it is another brewer, and I wonder what the reasons for the sides are, if they don’t drop, other than for advertising purposes.

Perhaps we will hear from someone who knows. :wink: :slight_smile:

And here I am like a bad penny! I have a special interest in Whitbread group vehicles, father worked for them for years, a good firm to work for. In the book “Whitbread 250 years of brewery transport” there’s a picture of an identical Foden. Edited caption reads:
In the 1950s BRS replaced some of the Scammell R8s on the Whitbread contract with a new fleet of Octopuses and Foden FGs. The Whitbread style of fixed-sided body with internal load fixings is retained and the fitted sheet with its leather straps and buckles for tidiness and the 2" wide webbing security straps are clearly visible.
Bernard

Albion advert from 1964.

Dean I owned and ran an Albion super Clydesdale 1967 model reg no MYD 809E sadly no pictures but a good truck with a 401 engine, Buzzer

rastone:

pete smith:
Hi Tony Rastone,
Is this motor one of your sales? N.M.P

No Pete it came from Lloyds of Stafford.Probably sold by Mick Richards.Never did sell anything to Stan Pegg but he had dealt with Mick for a year or two We used to chat a few times in the Clifford Arms at Great Haywood and he used to pop in and see me at T.C.H.I think it was to have a bit of a snoop but it didn’t matter.Those were the days when you didn’t have to do things by the book.No sitting in a posh showroom and concrete yard.Best place to get a brew would be in the operators garage sitting in a car seat fitted to a box’ round a pot bellied stove,small " kitchen" at the end of the bench with a newspaper table cloth and black finger marks on the mugs and a sugar basin with white sugar that had changed into a golden colour.
That motor had a ■■■■■■■ 504 in it.

Tony

Thank you for the reply Tony,
I still get the Daf salesman popping in for a cuppa now and then. In the 1980’s I used to deliver to a farm in Doveridge and he had a Ford 4x4 mini tractor ( Kubota sized ) only remembered because I saw a pic on internet of one! Cheer’s Pete

albion1938:

Spardo:

windrush:
Regarding the sheeting/roping of certain lorries can somebody explain please how Whitbread secured theirs as it doesn’t look as though the body sides drop down? Are there rings in the floor, there appears to be something below the floor where the straps are (or are they hinges?) and I have seen various pics of their Leylands and Fodens and all have the same type bodies. Not my pic but copied from the webb.

Pete.

Interesting Pete, especially as it is another brewer, and I wonder what the reasons for the sides are, if they don’t drop, other than for advertising purposes.

And here I am like a bad penny! I have a special interest in Whitbread group vehicles, father worked for them for years, a good firm to work for. In the book “Whitbread 250 years of brewery transport” there’s a picture of an identical Foden. Edited caption reads:
In the 1950s BRS replaced some of the Scammell R8s on the Whitbread contract with a new fleet of Octopuses and Foden FGs. The Whitbread style of fixed-sided body with internal load fixings is retained and the fitted sheet with its leather straps and buckles for tidiness and the 2" wide webbing security straps are clearly visible.
Bernard

Cheers Bernard, so the straps were built into the sheets then? That made things easier, though heavier to handle I guess.

Pete.

windrush:

albion1938:

Spardo:

windrush:

Pete.

Bernard

Cheers Bernard, so the straps were built into the sheets then? That made things easier, though heavier to handle I guess.

Pete.

Yes thanks from me too, I can see what looks like buckles on the 8 wheeler, but the 4 wheeler seems to have dollies. If that is the case then they would have had to learn a different style of hitch, unless of course they weren’t ringbolts in the deck, but retractable hooks. :wink:

windrush:

My first thought was, something wrong but could not figure what !!! then it jumped at me.
Booze is heavy and this looks fully loaded but look at the wheel clearance against the wings all round. set up for the picture ■■ or what, they would have been cart springs not air. OK, back to sleep, Harvey

HRS:

windrush:

My first thought was, something wrong but could not figure what !!! then it jumped at me.
Booze is heavy and this looks fully loaded but look at the wheel clearance against the wings all round. set up for the picture ■■ or what, they would have been cart springs not air. OK, back to sleep, Harvey

Load of Light Ale Harvey :laughing:
Oily

oiltreader:

HRS:

windrush:

Load of Light Ale Harvey :laughing:
Oily

Good job it wasn’t stout, the fitted sheet might be too small. :smiley:

I’m led to believe the reason Whitbread used the set-up is they didn’t like to cover up the signwriting, also ropes were less tidy and chafed the paintwork. They were very fussy about their lorries, tended to remove all the loose badges from the radiator, like the Atkinson big As and the Perkins four rings, as they didn’t like to advertise other firms. When available they liked to specify AEC engines. Although that Foden is a BRS contract motor it was built to Whitbread spec, body, non-standard cab, trafficators etc.
Bernard

Just to brighten the day, Do you remember post, Buzzer

90847504_10219069701005064_9076180724482048_n.jpg

90957295_10219069693044865_8135770735642673152_n.jpg

90853189_10219069696964963_3458144178809077760_n (2).jpg

Buzzer:
Just to brighten the day, Do you remember post, Buzzer

The milk was “interesting” where I was at school -left out in the sun for a few hours, by time we got it nice and warm with little dots of butter starting to form on the top. Still here though, probably the orange juice, rosehip syrup (yum), cod liver oil (not so) and Virol shoved down my throat regularly.
Bernard