Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

windrush:
Regarding the sheeting/roping of certain lorries can somebody explain please how Whitbread secured theirs as it doesn’t look as though the body sides drop down? Are there rings in the floor, there appears to be something below the floor where the straps are (or are they hinges?) and I have seen various pics of their Leylands and Fodens and all have the same type bodies. Not my pic but copied from the webb.

Pete.

Interesting Pete, especially as it is another brewer, and I wonder what the reasons for the sides are, if they don’t drop, other than for advertising purposes.

Perhaps we will hear from someone who knows. :wink: :slight_smile:

Off ebay, the answer Spardo, rings in the bed leaving clear advert.
Oily

backsplice:
One for you Oily …gleaned from a shipping site …

Hi backsplice, nice one, way back when I started on here, an ex Pointer driver emailed some photos… so awa tae hae a look :slight_smile:
Oily

Thanks to backsplice, DEANB, Buzzer and windrush for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily

A majestic looking motor snapped at Wisbech St Mary Country Show thanks to Michael Trolove.

TKN Btn Wisbech St Mary country show Michael Trolove cc by sa 2.0 2494664_fb9f3b65.jpg

fodenway:

old 67:

pyewacket947v:

windrush:
Mystery truck is a Guy Vix-Ant, I thought it looked like the military Guy Ant’s sheet metalwork and I was correct for once! Introduced in 1941 for civillian operators, scroll down this link

historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/ … guyhistory

Another disappointing , if not downright failure, of Guy Motors. was the Wulfrunian bus.

Regards John.

I remember the Wulfrunians very well. We had the West Riding ones regularly on our school run in the mid-sixties. West Riding had a large part in the development of the ‘Wulf’, and were the major operator. Even when relatively new, they had overheating and leakage problems with the Cave-Brown-Cave cooling system (radiators upstairs). Perhaps because of the engine being hung out forward of the front axle, they often got stuck on snowy hills which a Guy Arab or Leyland PD2 would climb with no problem. “All you kids, get to the back of the bus and jump up and down if you want to get up this hill” was often the conductors’ cry. The ride was more akin to a boat then a bus, rolling and pitching to the point of sickness for some passengers. With hindsight, the designers put too many new ideas into the same vehicle at once. Air suspension, independent front suspension, disc brakes, C-B-C cooling system were all under-developed in this country at the time, and contributed to the unreliability of this novel bus. In later years, the front rows of seats upstairs were barriered off to try to keep weight off the front axle. Maybe Guy could have made a better bus if the innovations had been introduced over two or three “marks” of the Wulfrunian.

Never encountered a Wulfrunian. I was well acquainted with the Guy Arab Tin Fronts that where base at Selly Oak Depot of Birmingham City Transport, All these years on i still wonder where it all went wrong, Riding on a modern Volvo Wright these days is a truly bone shaking experience, accompanied by a cacophony of sound from the interior panels and seating… I really do not remember the ‘Arabs’ being anything other than simple ,rugged, reliable and ,in my view, good looking… OK they had a few quirks when it came to working on them, but show me a vehicle off any description that hasn’t. Yes, they where not suitable for one man operation, but i am willing bet there are a great many who would welcome the return of the conductor/guard with open arms… and the ‘Arabs’.

6 May 1985
Bourton Road
Much Wenlock
Shrops Eng

A Fordson tractor slowly reverting to nature,

060585mx.jpg

A Fordson tractor slowly reverting to nature
A Fordson N pyewacket947v, my first driving lesson on one of them aged 10½, cousin farmer field feeding cattle got me going jumped off and onto the cart chucking swedes, all I did was steer it round until he jumped back on, that was me hooked :smiley:
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

Yes, thanks, just what I expected and what I had embedded into all the demount bodies I had built for Toray, albeit for different reasons. But that does look like a traditional roping and sheeting job, unlike the apparently ‘seamed’ system of the Foden 8 wheeler which initiated my interest.

Incidently, the hitches in view on the 4 wheeler must be Australian style, or similar. Traditional British hitches simply can’t be done without open hooks.

A very nice picture though, and many thanks for that beautiful Esso Highwayman. Although the job itself was knackering my time on one of those was both memorable and adventurous. :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:

oiltreader:
Oily

Yes, thanks, just what I expected and what I had embedded into all the demount bodies I had built for Toray, albeit for different reasons. But that does look like a traditional roping and sheeting job, unlike the apparently ‘seamed’ system of the Foden 8 wheeler which initiated my interest.

Incidently, the hitches in view on the 4 wheeler must be Australian style, or similar. Traditional British hitches simply can’t be done without open hooks.

A very nice picture though, and many thanks for that beautiful Esso Highwayman. Although the job itself was knackering my time on one of those was both memorable and adventurous. :wink: :laughing:

When in the early 80’s we did SCAC trailers out of Pompey we had flats come over loaded with ATO chem plastic pellets in bags on pallets, the Frogs had no idea how to do a dolly so they did there version which was loop one end for the hook on the far side of the trailer then put a pigs ear at arms length and cut the rope to suit pulling down and tying off on the opposite side, the net result was you had twenty bits of rope when you tipped with pigs ears in you could not get out so we were issued with spare rope incase we had a reload for France, some one should have been sent over and educated them in the art of tying a dolly, once you have done it you can do it in your sleep, Buzzer

fodenway:

old 67:

pyewacket947v:

windrush:
Mystery truck is a Guy Vix-Ant, I thought it looked like the military Guy Ant’s sheet metalwork and I was correct for once! Introduced in 1941 for civillian operators, scroll down this link

historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/ … guyhistory

Another disappointing , if not downright failure, of Guy Motors. was the Wulfrunian bus.

Regards John.

I remember the Wulfrunians very well. We had the West Riding ones regularly on our school run in the mid-sixties. West Riding had a large part in the development of the ‘Wulf’, and were the major operator. Even when relatively new, they had overheating and leakage problems with the Cave-Brown-Cave cooling system (radiators upstairs). Perhaps because of the engine being hung out forward of the front axle, they often got stuck on snowy hills which a Guy Arab or Leyland PD2 would climb with no problem. “All you kids, get to the back of the bus and jump up and down if you want to get up this hill” was often the conductors’ cry. The ride was more akin to a boat then a bus, rolling and pitching to the point of sickness for some passengers. With hindsight, the designers put too many new ideas into the same vehicle at once. Air suspension, independent front suspension, disc brakes, C-B-C cooling system were all under-developed in this country at the time, and contributed to the unreliability of this novel bus. In later years, the front rows of seats upstairs were barriered off to try to keep weight off the front axle. Maybe Guy could have made a better bus if the innovations had been introduced over two or three “marks” of the Wulfrunian.

The West Riding ‘Wulfs’ had the Dewsbury - Wakefield service all to themselves, I regularly thought the front suspension had collapsed when they were standing (knock kneed) at the Dewsbury terminus. They sure as hell could roll about a bit on the air suspension.

Might have been Hughes Bros Derbyshire granite Chapel-en-le-Frith, Buzzer

91591009_10213057730558349_8671240947138297856_o.jpg

Hi all, i think the Whitbread truck was drop side if you look along the bottom you can see what look’s like hinge’s but can’t see any clips at the to to lock. :sunglasses:

A village scene from the 1960s. The landscape gardener is busy attending to the flowers at the
Royal Oak pub. His Morris van is parked at the side of the building. A Bristol single deck bus is
leaving the village on its rural journey. Painting by transport artist Trevor Mitchell.
Click picture for larger image.

Ray Smyth.

oiltreader:
A Fordson tractor slowly reverting to nature
A Fordson N pyewacket947v, my first driving lesson on one of them aged 10½, cousin farmer field feeding cattle got me going jumped off and onto the cart chucking swedes, all I did was steer it round until he jumped back on, that was me hooked :smiley:
Oily

Would have been fun at that age Oily, Never drove a tractor as such, though i did drive a Lister Auto Truck
in the 60s and a variety of fork lifts later on,

Ray Smyth:
A village scene from the 1960s. The landscape gardener is busy attending to the flowers at the
Royal Oak pub. His Morris van is parked at the side of the building. A Bristol single deck bus is
leaving the village on its rural journey. Painting by transport artist Trevor Mitchell.

Ray Smyth.

A really nice painting, Ray, and one that I wouldn’t kick off the wall. Is that a Morris Minor van in the background nosed up to a Ford Anglia, and what about the combination, a Beezer? :smiley:

Can’t place the light coloured car though. :confused:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Oily ,brilliant pic ,that Foden was later converted in to an artic ,regards Keith

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth.

A really nice painting, Ray, and one that I wouldn’t kick off the wall. Is that a Morris Minor van in the background nosed up to a Ford Anglia, and what about the combination, a Beezer? :smiley:

Can’t place the light coloured car though. :confused:

You sure that is a BSA, to me it looks more like a Panther well known power unit on a sidecar outfit, Buzzer

The car is a Hillman Minx.

Pete.

pete smith:
Hi Tony Rastone,
Is this motor one of your sales? N.M.P

No Pete it came from Lloyds of Stafford.Probably sold by Mick Richards.Never did sell anything to Stan Pegg but he had dealt with Mick for a year or two We used to chat a few times in the Clifford Arms at Great Haywood and he used to pop in and see me at T.C.H.I think it was to have a bit of a snoop but it didn’t matter.Those were the days when you didn’t have to do things by the book.No sitting in a posh showroom and concrete yard.Best place to get a brew would be in the operators garage sitting in a car seat fitted to a box’ round a pot bellied stove,small " kitchen" at the end of the bench with a newspaper table cloth and black finger marks on the mugs and a sugar basin with white sugar that had changed into a golden colour.
That motor had a ■■■■■■■ 504 in it.

Tony

mustery truck 2020-04-03.jpegJust got this one this morning by e-mail with a request about its identity. The lower part reminds me of an Americain special truck or coach. Couldn’t it be a transformation, maybe for a movie?