Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

DEANB:
Scammell trailer advert from 1966.

Click on twice to read.

Good man! :laughing:

Buzzer:
Hmmm spot the deliberate mistake, Buzzer

No need to run for cover…

oiltreader:

tastrucker:

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, DEANB, ERF-NGC-European for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and Froggy55 for the video link nice one :smiley:
Oily

Wales, mostly north I think.

Hello oily ,most from N Wales ,Gwynedd Skips very smart fleet of Scanias from Caernarvon ,and R F Bellis from Wrexham ,we have got some very smart fleets up here ,thank you Trevor

Cheers Trevor, another one for you.
Oily

hello Oily ,Dylan Vaughn Evans from Pwllheli ,another very smart fleet from N Wales thank you Trevor

An acquiantance of mine who has an old 1950s AEC psv took it to his local tyre service company with a view to having new rear tyres fitted. They swiftly got to work with their high pressure air guns to remove the wheels and succeeded in chewing up all the studs on the near side not realising that older 1950s vehicles had opposite hand threaded studs. Now he cannot find studs anywhere unless some one on here have some lying around.
The modern generation !!!
Cheers Leyland 600.

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, DEANB, ERF-NGC-European for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and Froggy55 for the video link nice one :smiley:
Oily

Wales, mostly north I think.

Hello oily forgot to mention Mervyn Thomas Radnorshire a mid Wales company ,dont see them so much now ,thanks Trevor

Buzzer:

Oh dear. Your life in their hands. :unamused:

Spotted in Tamworth.

Ade

Buzzer:

Although he was provided with one our old tyre fitter at Ballidon quarry never used a cage, he reckoned that it wouldn’t stop the blast if a tyre blew and the days of the locking ring (which could fly off and kill) were long gone by then. Apart from being on the beach at D day the closest he came to harm was when a loaded Aveling Barford dumper ran away downhill and demolished his tyre bay. :laughing:

Pete.

Ray Smyth:
Hi Trooper2, Thank you for the above information. All that I knew was what I had heard on our local TV news, Granada Reports.
I can remember the news item, and the reporter kept mentioning the loss of historic commercial lorries, so quite a few of us
assumed it was The British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland town centre. Regards, Ray.

The turbine tractor was being housed in a warehouse unit operated by W. H. Bowker, along with their own 1934 Beaver, and were lost when an adjacent unit caught fire - I believe it was H Parkinson’s unit, in which paper was stored.

I knew the Bowker motor well, having collected it from its previous owner and then had driven many miles in it, but both vehicles were a sad loss. As I understand it, there were no injuries caused by the fire, which is the main thing.

45B99BB8-1D61-45A9-BE97-DE164637B8B5.jpeg
1620A0A7-A947-4EA6-81CD-4A4355B3D606.jpeg
D7636081-B631-47C0-A258-87A7339E3DF9.jpeg
2FF3FB13-F5DD-419E-9AF5-ED21A38BCDF3.jpeg
Can’t beet a nice wet n windy day to reposes a drill rig from a none payer .

Sad times indeed Richard Read from the Forest of Dean to shut down at the end of March, long established firm like that another one gone very sad, Buzzer

Good to see another ERF earning it’s keep! Erm… I’ll get me coat…

Buzzer:
Sad times indeed Richard Read from the Forest of Dean to shut down at the end of March, long established firm like that another one gone very sad, Buzzer

A great shame ,a traditional fleet ,they had 4 wheelers that would deliver regularly in the Brecon area ,MT

few from “down under” Tyneside

20190228_023442354_iOS.jpg

20190227_040000627_iOS.jpg

Not sure but I think this a Morris Commercial ■■ Sure someone will put me right !

Tyneside

20190303_032113132_iOS.jpg

This was on display outside a large timber processor in Mt. Gambier

Outside a service station / Agriculture engineers on the Coromandel NZ Tyneside

20190214_080107000_iOS.jpg

20190214_080120000_iOS.jpg

20190214_080140000_iOS.jpg

Yes, an early Morris Commercial LC. Worked on a few of those and still many around, Morris built a quality product.

Pete.

tyneside:
Not sure but I think this a Morris Commercial ■■ Sure someone will put me right !

Tyneside

Yes, This is a Morris Commercial, My Dad drove one for Liverpool Co-operative Dairies,
Reg No. OS 6646, I believe it had come from Stranraer Co-op, hence the Wigtownshire
number plate. Dads Morris had bigger tyres and twin rear wheels. Regards, Ray.

windrush:
Yes, an early Morris Commercial LC. Worked on a few of those and still many around, Morris built a quality product.

Pete.

They certainly did, I owned a wartime military version, 4x4, knobbly tyres, and roof hatch for the gunner. :laughing:

It was a recovery truck, had a straight 6 petrol engine, 12 volt system with 2 giant 6 volt batteries full length across the chassis behind the cab. Always started first turn in the coldest of weather, pulled like a train but without power steering or brakes was a bugger to turn or stop. On a slope it was necessary to pull the handbrake full on and then straight leg the brake pedal while bracing my back against the back of the cab, to have any hope of stopping.

Bought at auction for 65 quid and sold 4 years later for the same amount. Not being a mechanic I wanted to be able to work on it, so bought a WD manual for it for 65 quid. Still got it as the bloke who bought the machine refused to pay for the book.

As the War Department thought that all squaddies were mechanically stupid, every possible repair was described in the minutest detail, which allowed even me to take the gear and transfer boxes apart and service them. :laughing: