Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer:
One for Robert ERF NGC wonder if any tone saved her, Buzzer

Haven’t seen that particular shot before, Buzzer! Looks as if it’s ‘‘done shuntin’’’ by the time it was taken. Here’s it is in better days (don’t know who took the pic):

Capture5.PNG

Robert

youtube.com/watch?v=OWOa8V5vqeI

I remember seeing this Scammell 100 ton tractor at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum
in Leyland about 10 years ago. Between then and a few years ago, there was a dreadful fire
at the museum, does anyone know whether this lorry survived the blaze, and what vehicles
were lost, beyond repair ? It is seen here at Liverpool Docks loaded with a Steam Locomotive
for export, which was built at Vulcan Foundry, Newton le Willows, near Haydock.
Ray Smyth. Picture from Bootle History Forum.

Ray Smyth:
I remember seeing this Scammell 100 ton tractor at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum
in Leyland about 10 years ago. Between then and a few years ago, there was a dreadful fire
at the museum, does anyone know whether this lorry survived the blaze, and what vehicles
were lost, beyond repair ? It is seen here at Liverpool Docks loaded with a Steam Locomotive

Bit more on that motor Ray. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

Thanks to Buzzer, DEANB, ERF-NGC-European for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and Froggy55 for the video link nice one :smiley:
Oily

Wales, mostly north I think.

Wales Richard 29608284457_eff4ace83a_rs k.jpg

Wales North Richard 35234648395_c05f43b9de_rs k.jpg

Wales North Richard 26507699449_2966f4525b rs _k.jpg

Ray Smyth:

I have a small and tenuous connection to that picture. My Dad, an engineer who worked for the Southern Railway in Southampton when he came back from Egypt after the war, and, his getting a job at Vulcan Foundry was the cause of us moving to Manchester in 1950. Isn’t it often the way that we leave it till it’s too late to interrogate our elders, as I am sure he would have much that was interesting to say about such heavy movements out of the factory at the time?

Especially as he had been a ‘holiday’ lorry driver for his best friend’s haulage company in Southampton when at university there.

IIRC Scammells 100 tonner had a 4 cylinder petrol engine, fuel consumption ■■ well if you must know .75 MPG :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I think there is one of them in preservation.

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, DEANB, ERF-NGC-European for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and Froggy55 for the video link nice one :smiley:
Oily

Hello oily ,most from N Wales ,Gwynedd Skips very smart fleet of Scanias from Caernarvon ,and R F Bellis from Wrexham ,we have got some very smart fleets up here ,thank you Trevor

Ray Smyth:
I remember seeing this Scammell 100 ton tractor at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland about 10 years ago. Between then and a few years ago, there was a dreadful fire at the museum, does anyone know whether this lorry survived the blaze, and what vehicles were lost, beyond repair ? It is seen here at Liverpool Docks loaded with a Steam Locomotive for export, which was built at Vulcan Foundry, Newton le Willows, near Haydock.

Ray
The Leyland fire was in December, 2011. It was not at the BCVM.
The former Leyland Motors Spurrier Works, about a mile from the Museum, had become a Business Enterprise Park.
One of the very large buidings was in use as a storage/distribution centre containing mainly paper products and beer barrels. It was this building (and a few smaller ones) which was destroyed by the fire. Two historic vehicles were stored in the building and were destroyed. They were both Leyland vehicles. One was a Prototype Gas Turbine Tractor unit owned by the Museum, the second was a much older truck owned by WH Bowker.

This photograph of the Gas Turbine prototype was taken in the old ‘500 Shop’ at the Leyland Assembly Plant on 29 March, 2011. It was forming part of a display of historic Leyland vehicles at an auction of used DAF Trucks held on 31 March.

TROOPER2:

Ray Smyth:
I remember seeing this Scammell 100 ton tractor at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland about 10 years ago. Between then and a few years ago, there was a dreadful fire at the museum, does anyone know whether this lorry survived the blaze, and what vehicles were lost, beyond repair ? It is seen here at Liverpool Docks loaded with a Steam Locomotive for export, which was built at Vulcan Foundry, Newton le Willows, near Haydock.

Ray
The Leyland fire was in December, 2011. It was not at the BCVM.
The former Leyland Motors Spurrier Works, about a mile from the Museum, had become a Business Enterprise Park.
One of the very large buidings was in use as a storage/distribution centre containing mainly paper products and beer barrels. It was this building (and a few smaller ones) which was destroyed by the fire. Two historic vehicles were stored in the building and were destroyed. They were both Leyland vehicles. One was a Prototype Gas Turbine Tractor unit owned by the Museum, the second was a much older truck owned by WH Bowker.

This photograph was taken in the old ‘500 Shop’ at the Leyland Assembly Plant on 29 March, 2011. It was forming part of a display of historic Leyland vehicles at an auction of used DAF Trucks held on 31 March.

Hi Trooper2, Thank you for the above information. All that I knew was what I had heard on our local TV news, Granada Reports.
I can remember the news item, and the reporter kept mentioning the loss of historic commercial lorries, so quite a few of us
assumed it was The British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland town centre. Regards, Ray.

tastrucker:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hello oily ,most from N Wales ,Gwynedd Skips very smart fleet of Scanias from Caernarvon ,and R F Bellis from Wrexham ,we have got some very smart fleets up here ,thank you Trevor

Cheers Trevor, another one for you.
Oily

Wales Ronnie 6271112987_736ce7c485_o rcc .jpg

Another typical day at Liverpool Docks. Pictures by Ged Fagan.

BRS Wagon & Drag.jpg

BRS Bristol.jpg

Are there any Iveco turbostars still about in the UK on the show truck scene?

One here for Rastone, remember selling this lorry Tony ?

I’ve just been clearing a lot of my late father’s paperwork out & came across this. Lots more to come if I can work out how to use a scanner without my daughter showing me all the time.

£1830 brand new, I doubt you would get a set of tyres for that price today.

oiltreader:
Thanks to DEANB for the pic :smiley:
Oily
Farm machinery on the move.

Nice to see that little Scanny is still earning it’s keep Oily :wink:

1970commer:
One here for Rastone, remember selling this lorry Tony ?

I’ve just been clearing a lot of my late father’s paperwork out & came across this. Lots more to come if I can work out how to use a scanner without my daughter showing me all the time.

£1830 brand new, I doubt you would get a set of tyres for that price today.

Well,well ,well Robert.Must have been mad giving all that money away.I’ll save it into my lorry files.That’s three copies of motors I’ve got.Scotney’s Trader from 1958.Edwin’s Transit G reg and this one.Very interesting arent they and worth saving althoug my kids would chuck 'em in the bin when I snuff it.

Tony

Scammell trailer advert from 1966.

Click on twice to read.

Thanks to Ray Smyth, 1970Commer and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily

Morris Commercial Leader

Dug out an old magazine.
Oily

Hmmm spot the deliberate mistake, Buzzer

untitled (2).png