Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Ray Smyth:
These pictures of Morris Carriers Leyland Beaver were captured off the television last night
by a friend of mine. The television series is “Endeavour”, Inspector Morse when he was a
young Detective Sergaent in 1969. I am told that the Leyland Beaver was one of a fleet of
Mobile X-Ray Units of the National Health Service, and its registration number is MUM 289.
From memory, I seem to remember that they pulled a drawbar trailer X-Ray unit as well.
Perhaps there are pictures of this Leyland somewhere on Trucknet that I have not seen,

Ray Smyth.

Cheers for the pic :smiley: Ray that is Merton Street in Oxford
Oily

old 67:
It might have been this one Ray ?

Regards. John.

Hi John, seeing one of them always brings to mind a sad occasion. Heading along Brighton front to tip at Hove and there was one parked up, my young mate (wagon and drag) who was in his late 20s " could you stop a minute I want to have a check up" pulled up and waited, he came back said " my mum told if I ever see one of them on our travels to make sure I have a check up" it turned out that he had early symptoms of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, two years later he had passed away, leaving a wife and two young children. He was a pleasure to have as a mate, no problems with early starts and along the way we had some great laughs.
Oily

Ray Smyth:
These pictures of Morris Carriers Leyland Beaver were captured off the television last night
by a friend of mine. The television series is “Endeavour”, Inspector Morse when he was a
young Detective Sergaent in 1969. I am told that the Leyland Beaver was one of a fleet of
Mobile X-Ray Units of the National Health Service, and its registration number is MUM 289.
From memory, I seem to remember that they pulled a drawbar trailer X-Ray unit as well.
Perhaps there are pictures of this Leyland somewhere on Trucknet that I have not seen,

Ray Smyth.

Somewhere in London
17 Feb 1987

Advert from 1967.

Click on twice.

Loading strawberries on to the train in Botley station in times gone bye, Buzzer

botley(jmc_early20th)old19.jpg

Queens Drive/Rice Lane flyover being built in 1969. The queue of traffic coming down Breeze Hill from
the top include an Atkinson, a Bedford TK, a BMC, and an Ergocabbed AEC or Leyland. The Austin A35
van and the Commer are at the start of Rice Lane (A59). The Vauxhall Victor 101 is at the start of the
Queens Drive Ring Road, and the cars on the left are at the end of County Road.
Picture from Bootle History Forum. Ray Smyth.

Rice Lane 1969.jpg

Thanks to pyewacket947v, DEANB, Buzzer and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Scania 143

Scania PS 12715477535_303f392d2b_o.jpg

Scania 26422483907_f6d21d67cf_o.jpg

Scania Andy Breeden 31818919878_43b305ded6 andy _o.jpg

Scania 143 28303064742_4d7c193b75_o.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Queens Drive/Rice Lane flyover being built in 1969. The queue of traffic coming down Breeze Hill from
the top include an Atkinson, a Bedford TK, a BMC, and an Ergocabbed AEC or Leyland. The Austin A35
van and the Commer are at the start of Rice Lane (A59). The Vauxhall Victor 101 is at the start of the

Thanks for that pic’ Ray. Does anyone else think that the Ergo’s got a 4 in line trailer? I’ve never pulled one but my old dad said they were a bit of a handful.

peterm:

Ray Smyth:

Thanks for that pic’ Ray. Does anyone else think that the Ergo’s got a 4 in line trailer? I’ve never pulled one but my old dad said they were a bit of a handful.

Peter, Yes, it looks very much like a 4 in line trailer. I cant recall ever having a 4 in line trailer, but I believe they
could be a bit unsteady, particularly if they had a high load on. If one of the outer wheels dropped into a large
deep pothole, I expect a high loaded 4 in line would lean badly. Also, I wouldn’t like to attempt having to change
an inner wheel that had a puncture. :slight_smile: Ray.

oiltreader:
Thanks to pyewacket947v, DEANB, Buzzer and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Scania 143

Hello Oily ,Owen Transport were from Bucknell Shropshire ,now long gone ,Trevor

Ray Smyth:

peterm:

Ray Smyth:

Peter, Yes, it looks very much like a 4 in line trailer. I cant recall ever having a 4 in line trailer, but I believe they
could be a bit unsteady, particularly if they had a high load on. If one of the outer wheels dropped into a large
deep pothole, I expect a high loaded 4 in line would lean badly. Also, I wouldn’t like to attempt having to change

Must be what he was talking about. I wouldn’t fancy the inner wheel change job either. We just know it’s be dark and raining. :slight_smile:

peterm:

Ray Smyth:

peterm:

Ray Smyth:

Must be what he was talking about. I wouldn’t fancy the inner wheel change job either. We just know it’s be dark and raining. :slight_smile:

Sadly, I did have one, if you got the tyre pressures even a bit different it could throw it all over the place. I once came down Symonds Yat at speed and it started to sway, daren’t touch the brakes just kept as light a touch on the wheel as possible, and survived, but it was scary.

The wheels were a bit larger than normal tandems and were attached to 2 seperate short axles which were suspended from the chassis. The official term for them was oscillating bogies, and that it just what they did, oscillate.

The attraction from a haulier’s point of view was that, according to what I was told at the time, they were classed in the same weight carrying capacity as tandems, but with only 4 wheels and tyres instead of 8.

I never met a driver who liked them though. Thankfully I never had to change a wheel, it would have been complcated as presumably you had to jack the axle, which of course with one tyre flat, wouid have been at an angle.

ERF agent advert. 1970.

Clickon page once/twice.

[/quote]
[/quote]
Sadly, I did have one, if you got the tyre pressures even a bit different it could throw it all over the place. I once came down Symonds Yat at speed and it started to sway, daren’t touch the brakes just kept as light a touch on the wheel as possible, and survived, but it was scary.

The wheels were a bit larger than normal tandems and were attached to 2 seperate short axles which were suspended from the chassis. The official term for them was oscillating bogies, and that it just what they did, oscillate.

The attraction from a haulier’s point of view was that, according to what I was told at the time, they were classed in the same weight carrying capacity as tandems, but with only 4 wheels and tyres instead of 8.

I never met a driver who liked them though. Thankfully I never had to change a wheel, it would have been complcated as presumably you had to jack the axle, which of course with one tyre flat, wouid have been at an angle.
[/quote]
Did you manage to stop it before Monmouth :smiley:

peterm:
Did you manage to stop it before Monmouth :smiley:

I’d already passed Monmouth, northbound with timber from Cardiff docks.

There used to be a transport motel, one of a very few new developements on the old digs, in those days and I brought her to a halt opposite that. After several minutes trying to calm the heartrate, I walked across the road and had a cup of tea. :unamused:

Thanks to DEANB for the pic :smiley:
Oily
Farm machinery on the move.

Farm kenjonbro cc ny nc sa 2.0 9188222763_0159455008_kjb k.jpg

Farm eastleighbusman 39301889330_006c477eb0 elbm _k.jpg

Just thought I would post one of Wrighty’s loads from our thread, seeing we are on machinery transport today Oily, cheers Buzzer

WP_20190226_006.jpg

Commer.

advert commer unipower.jpg

Good evening all.
I am now in need of any pictures of the Cadbury tanker/tippers that were ran during the 90s im sure they were Volvo fl10/12s, ive searched high and low and cant find any. I know all the info from of there duties just need the pictures. Thanks

One for Robert ERF NGC wonder if any tone saved her, Buzzer