Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

I got a lift in this 3 axled Scammell of Sid’s from Tinsley to J28 South Normanton one Saturday morning int 70s.
KSM 837F was ex Oswald Transport of Kirkpatrick Fleming and another axle was added by Harrisons. I remember having to sit on an orange box cos there were no passenger seat,but a third class ride is better than a first class walk.I also had a lift in another 3-axled Highwayman of theirs,it was on a 1966 “D” plate.

Not my photo.

sid2.jpg

Past present or future ?

Dunno what it is, but it ain’t pretty. Definitely needs that forward-view mirror, you could lose a Transit van in that blindspot. I remember we had a Magnum on test for a week when they were new, bags of room in the cab, and nice on the motorway, but a nightmare in city traffic what with pedestrians trying to cross in front, and bikes and cars cutting in.

fodenway:
Dunno what it is, but it ain’t pretty. Definitely needs that forward-view mirror, you could lose a Transit van in that blindspot. I remember we had a Magnum on test for a week when they were new, bags of room in the cab, and nice on the motorway, but a nightmare in city traffic what with pedestrians trying to cross in front, and bikes and cars cutting in.

Magnums pulling fridge trailers used to come into Wincanton Maltby for loading many times and I used to shunt em while drivers were having their snap. I remember first time I couldna find door handle. :laughing:

You needed to be a bit of a mountaineer to get in the bloody things until you got the knack, that’s for sure.

oiltreader:

tastrucker:

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, pyewacket947v, pv83 and Froggy55 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Livestock wagons.

Hello Oily ,great pictures ,have you any L E Jones of North Wales ? thank you Trevor

Sorry no livestock Trevor, one general.
Cheers
Oily

Hello oily ,but thanks very much Trevor

Hi Chris this Scammell KSM 837F was supplied new to Wm Halliday & Sons of The Flosh, Kirkpatrick Fleming hence the Dumfrieshire registration number.not Oswald Transport which I think they acquired later.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Chris this Scammell KSM was supplied new to Wm Halliday & Sons of Kirkpatrick Fleming hence the Dumfrieshire registration number.not Oswald Transport which I think they acquired later.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Aye 600,you are right,I thought at first it was ex Moores Motors of Ayr,they were regular visitors to Sheffield loading billets for Scottish Stampings at Ayr. It was a friend of mine who told me it was ex Halliday,so why I put Oswald in frame I don’t know.I don’t think Oswalds ran any Scammells,they ran some AECs I remember.
Anyroad I got Kirkpatrick Fleming right. :smiley:
Some of the R8s that Sid Harrison ran were ex Youngs Express Paisley with the XS reg plates.

Chris.

IIRC Oswald Transport was bought out by GKN who also owned Scottish Stampings, Oswald livery then disappeared to be replaced by the Blue GKN livery. I bought an ex Oswald Mk1 Atki along with a local firm we took over, Reg No. KSD 101F ■■■■■■■ NH180/ZF 6 speed box/ Kirkstall BDR axle. It had done a lot of work but it was 100% reliable if a bit noisy though ! Cheers Bewick.

Scottish stampings. That was a good job.
Nice run and a good tip.
Shame it shut a few years ago.
Used to take billets from Aldwarke and Stocksbridge there.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

coomsey:
Past present or future ?

otosan ford f-max ,truck of the year 2019.

tonyj105:

coomsey:
Past present or future ?

Presumably that is built in Turkey at the Otosan plant. Is it fully Euro-compliant? If so, I wonder why we aren’t seeing more of them. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

tonyj105:

coomsey:
Past present or future ?

Presumably that is built in Turkey at the Otosan plant. Is it fully Euro-compliant? If so, I wonder why we aren’t seeing more of them. Robert

Son of Transconti! ■■■■■■■ / Fuller ?

their own eco torq 500 engine and a ZF box. shame, its crying out for a big ■■■■■■■ and an eaton box.

One from over the pond, Buzzer

fodenway:

pv83:
Bit of a unusual cab on this one…?

One of the first (if not THE very first) Scammell R8’s. One of several originally owned by Pickens of Rotherham, it ended up with Harrisons of Sheffield, and may even still exist.

Ta Fodenway :wink:

One from over the pond, Buzzer
Reo Speed Wagon.
Oily

Reo Speed Wagon Joe Ross cc by sa 2.0 2253357595_97f57f0ac4 jr _o.jpg

Thanks to fodenway, Chris Webb, coomsey, Bewick and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

coomsey:
Past present or future ?

Turkish reg Ford Cargo
Bridgwater 25 August 2016

pyewacket947v:

coomsey:
Past present or future ?

Turkish reg Ford Cargo
Bridgwater 25 August 20160

I’m at a loss here. What’s this beast all about? N why R hand drive in my picture? Cheers Coomsey