Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Yeah you know it Mike,only -6 to -8 c so not to bad but is till dont like it :smiley:
Checked the weather and monday night its says 10-15cm more. Its going to be mayham hereā€¦

Danne

I have no sympathy for you :smiley: .Here its sunshine and a fresh -25c.Take care,kƶr fƶrsiktig.

lurpak:
Came across this in my travels, any ideas ā– ā– ?

ade

Cast iron wheels and solid rubber tyres. Certainly the chassis of a very old truck, maybe pre-WW I. It looks the front axle has been moved and fied rigidly onto the frame, because one can still see where the springs were fixed at the very front. At that time, there were dozens of manufacturers, and the best would be to look for any marks on the chassis or perhaps the rear axle.

Froggy55:

lurpak:

Cast iron wheels and solid rubber tyres. Certainly the chassis of a very old truck, maybe pre-WW I. It looks the front axle has been moved and fied rigidly onto the frame, because one can still see where the springs were fixed at the very front. At that time, there were dozens of manufacturers, and the best would be to look for any marks on the chassis or perhaps the rear axle.

The curved front ends to the chassis with the spring hangers has me thinking Foden steamer. Might be worth contacting a transport museum and sending them the pics, sure they would love the challenge. Harvey

HRS:

Froggy55:

lurpak:

The curved front ends to the chassis with the spring hangers has me thinking Foden steamer. Might be worth contacting a transport museum and sending them the pics, sure they would love the challenge. Harvey

Itā€™s a puzzler Harvey, any steam wagons Iā€™ve studied have a single transverse front spring and chain driven rear axles, Adeā€™s chassis appears to have a diff of sorts or maybe it was chain driven, weā€™ll just have to guess what bits should be there, meanwhile back to search.
Cheers
Oily

pv83:
Bit of a unusual cab on this oneā€¦?

One of the first (if not THE very first) Scammell R8ā€™s. One of several originally owned by Pickens of Rotherham, it ended up with Harrisons of Sheffield, and may even still exist.

I canā€™t say for certain what it is, but it certainly isnā€™t a steam lorry chassis. It doesnā€™t look like an early Leyland either. I reckon itā€™s a 2-3 tonner from around 1910-20. Possibly a Karrier or a Guy - but might not even be British! Iā€™ll have a trawl through some books, see what pops up.

fodenway:

pv83:

One of the first (if not THE very first) Scammell R8ā€™s. One of several originally owned by Pickens of Rotherham, it ended up with Harrisons of Sheffield, and may even still exist.

Yes, correct it is reputed to be the first Scammell R8 and was in the ownership of Harrisons.

fodenway:

I canā€™t say for certain what it is, but it certainly isnā€™t a steam lorry chassis. It doesnā€™t look like an early Leyland either. I reckon itā€™s a 2-3 tonner from around 1910-20. Possibly a Karrier or a Guy - but might not even be British! Iā€™ll have a trawl through some books, see what pops up.

Again, I agree. Itā€™s not heavy enough for a steamer, and looking at the chassis rails and springs itā€™s a lightweight.

Thanks to Buzzer, DEANB, lurpak, pv83 and Dirty Dan :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and the craic :smiley:
Oily

Scammell Rigid Eight

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, pyewacket947v, pv83 and Froggy55 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Livestock wagons.

Hello Oily ,great pictures ,have you any L E Jones of North Wales ? thank you Trevor

gingerfold:

fodenway:

pv83:

Yes, correct it is reputed to be the first Scammell R8 and was in the ownership of Harrisons.

If it was Harrisonā€™s it was probably running up & down the M1 until a couple of years ago!

tastrucker:

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, pyewacket947v, pv83 and Froggy55 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Livestock wagons.

Hello Oily ,great pictures ,have you any L E Jones of North Wales ? thank you Trevor

Sorry no livestock Trevor, one general.
Cheers
Oily

Wales north  eastleighbusman cc by nd 2.0 25307775017_365746d091_elbm k.jpg

Retired Old ā– ā– ā– ā– :

gingerfold:

fodenway:

pv83:

If it was Harrisonā€™s it was probably running up & down the M1 until a couple of years ago!

Those R8s of Sid Harrisons were still doing internal work in Steel Peech and Tozers (BSC) in 1968 when I was loading out of there.

Chris Webb:
Those R8s of Sid Harrisons were still doing internal work in Steel Peech and Tozers (BSC) in 1968 when I was loading out of there.

You raise an interesting point Chris, I well remember all those Scammells across the road when I was a frequent visitor to STP, and seeing the odd old Highwayman up and down the M1, but are Harrisons still going, and are they still running old Scammells?

Now that would make some good pics for this thread, especially if there were some shiny big Scanias and Volvos in the background. :smiley:

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, DEANB, lurpak, pv83 and Dirty Dan :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and the craic :smiley:
Oily

Scammell Rigid Eight

Does anybody fancy swinging that starting handle to fire up the Gardner? :open_mouth:

grumpy old man:

oiltreader:
Oily

Scammell Rigid Eight

Does anybody fancy swinging that starting handle to fire up the Gardner? :open_mouth:

We had a yard foreman at Stirlands named Vic Lloyd he had shoulders and arms like Garth and we had a 6LW generator incase of power cuts
He could start it with one swing I couldnā€™t even turn it over even with the decompression levers up [emoji1303]

gazsa401:

grumpy old man:

oiltreader:
Oily

Scammell Rigid Eight

We had a yard foreman at Stirlands named Vic Lloyd he had shoulders and arms like Garth and we had a 6LW generator incase of power cuts
He could start it with one swing I couldnā€™t even turn it over even with the decompression levers up [emoji1303]

From my memory, and I was lucky enough almost just to miss the handle swinging era, it took several blokes and a bit of rope to achieve that. I do remember just one occasion, outside some digs, where all hands went out and started each motor one by one leaving a collective racket and a pall of smoke over the district as all went back in for breakfast while the cabs warmed up. :laughing:

Well, that was a bit of an exaggeration, cabs didnā€™t get warm in those days. :frowning:

Oh how the neighbours loved us. :laughing: That bit is a bit of an exaggeration too. :unamused:

bit like desborough in the 70ā€™s when 27 or so Ferrymasters F86ā€™s fired up first thing in the morning , blue fog.

Spardo:

Chris Webb:

You raise an interesting point Chris, I well remember all those Scammells across the road when I was a frequent visitor to STP, and seeing the odd old Highwayman up and down the M1, but are Harrisons still going, and are they still running old Scammells?

Now that would make some good pics for this thread, especially if there were some shiny big Scanias and Volvos in the background. :smiley:

Iā€™m afraid that theyā€™ve gone as a working concern, thereā€™s only Peter Harrison left, and the yard is now used as a carwash and for trailer parking. Part of the workshops is used by a tyre and exhaust fitter, although I believe Peter still tinkers with some of his old Scammells in the other part. There were still a few motors parked up behind the office (as they have been for many years) last time I went past. Peter apparently has quite a few motors stored in various places around the area, including a restored R8, a late 1920ā€™s chain-drive tractor unit and a couple of Highwaymen, all of which used to be on display at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum at Rotherham.