Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

Chris Webb:
Yes David,they could have vetted some of those so-called “home from home” flea pits rather than writing about minor driver offences.

You are right Chris, it would have been useful to have a section for drivers’ reports, like the 5 star system on Truckfly today. When I am searching for somewhere to park and eat in an unfamiliar area I read the worst report first and then balance it with the best. Only trouble with that is that in those days you had to write an actual letter ( :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ) to get your view across.

Like most professional drivers I sorted out the best and the worst from experience, but there were so many bad ones that a large number of drivers took bedding with them and draped themselves over the engine. :unamused:

Of course the unions had a big hand in that because they opposed sleeper cabs long after they were commonplace in the rest of the world.

We at BRS had a notice board so drivers could comment on the better ones and advise against the worst ones ,it had the advantage of arranging to meet your mates but they tended to become 'BRS only ’ establishments.

toshboy:

Spardo:

Chris Webb:
Yes David,they could have vetted some of those so-called “home from home” flea pits rather than writing about minor driver offences.

You are right Chris, it would have been useful to have a section for drivers’ reports, like the 5 star system on Truckfly today. When I am searching for somewhere to park and eat in an unfamiliar area I read the worst report first and then balance it with the best. Only trouble with that is that in those days you had to write an actual letter ( :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ) to get your view across.

Like most professional drivers I sorted out the best and the worst from experience, but there were so many bad ones that a large number of drivers took bedding with them and draped themselves over the engine. :unamused:

Of course the unions had a big hand in that because they opposed sleeper cabs long after they were commonplace in the rest of the world.

We at BRS had a notice board so drivers could comment on the better ones and advise against the worst ones ,it had the advantage of arranging to meet your mates but they tended to become 'BRS only ’ establishments.

Interesting, not many people know that. Well, I certainly didn’t, perhaps I should have put a flat cap on and infitrated some BRS drivers for the ‘good oil’. :smiley:

toshboy:
0Weather topic today ,a reminder of when drivers earned their corn

Webasto/Eberspacher night heaters :unamused: Never heard of 'em, a piece of old sacking tied to the front of the radiator had to suffice.
Hell, I once near ■■■■ froze to death in an Sed/Atky on a lorry park in Dundee.

Right…before sleeper cabs we’ve all used ‘transport digs’, let’s hear of some of the best and some of the worst (and please, nothing that’s in business today, we don’t want to be hit with any legal stuff so just places that no longer exist)
I’ll start:-
The worst…Brays, Liverpool Rd, Islington. The best…Mrs Riley, Berwick on Tweed.

grumpy old man:
Right…before sleeper cabs we’ve all used ‘transport digs’, let’s hear of some of the best and some of the worst (and please, nothing that’s in business today, we don’t want to be hit with any legal stuff so just places that no longer exist)
I’ll start:-
The worst…Brays, Liverpool Rd, Islington. The best…Mrs Riley, Berwick on Tweed.

The worst - West End Café,Gloucester,and one on Bloomfield Road Blackpool,name escapes me - they were both in Headlight mag.
The best by far - Transport House,Ipswich,owned by an American and run by a French woman,immaculate place.

Thanks toDEANB, Froggy55 and toshboy for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also all the craic input :smiley:
Oily
A snow melter in the USA.

Transport Digs…When I drove for Robert Baillie of Portsmouth, I occasionally
stayed in transport digs run by Mrs Saint in Sheerness, and sometimes in digs in
Christchurch Road in Doncaster, run by Mrs XXXXXX, cant remember her name. :slight_smile:
Ray Smyth.

All right, I’ll be the one to ask: how does a snow melter work?

peterm:

Well I was just about to tell you Peterm, but, no, I’ll leave it to one of the others. :laughing: :wink:

Oh for derv prices like that again, and VAT at 10% Buzzer.

peterm:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowmelter
planetforward.org/idea/mn20 … ng-machine

Buzzer:

Would that be your hand writing Mr Buzzer? :smiley:

Dave…

dave docwra:

Buzzer:

Would that be your hand writing Mr Buzzer? :smiley:

Dave…

You can see it’s been doctored Dave!

David

Thanks Oily… and Spardo :laughing:

ERF advert 1973.

Hi Buzzer, The first bulk order I made for diesel was in January 1964 when I paid £106.00 for 500 Gallons which = 21.2 pence per gallon (4 shillings 2d 4/2p. The good old days when 30 bob a ton was a good rate.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Came across this in my travels, any ideas ■■?
[attachment=2]IMG_2326.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMG_2327.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]IMG_2328.JPG[/attachment]

ade

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

Bit of a unusual cab on this one…?

Well got out of bed this morning just to find this…

I really dont like snow any more… :unamused:
This alot of snow here around Stockholm.
But it looks kinda nice but still i dont like it…

Danne

769A561E-CFD7-4DD8-BCBA-68DE1DAA6CCE.jpeg

Hahaha,the tropical South. :slight_smile: