Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Glossop

windrush:
When did the colours change Chris, all the ones we used to repair based at Woodley, Berks, were painted orange?

Pete.

About 1978/79 Pete.I can’t remember who sent me this photo with orange liveries,it was taken at Ross on Wye depot before I started with them.

mfs32.jpg

Cheers Chris, it would be around 1973 when we were servicing their BMC Lairds and Boxers.

Pete.

Some more MFS photos…

mfs14.jpg

mfs13.jpg

mfs4.jpg

mfs58.jpg

mfs51.jpg

Thanks to DEANB, lurpak and Chris Webb for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and to Chris Webb for the accompanying detail :smiley:
Oily

Translation “grand stuff for mushrooms” and the the reg is apt.

Richard 27730022258_5d84125755_k rs .jpg

After going through all the pages I missed I found this photo posted by Ray aka “Fishflunk” and he asked if I’d ever had a lift in this wagon of Turners.Well it might not have been the one in the photo but I had plenty of lifts in those BMCs of Turners when they were running a Norwich - Manchester trunk with a Grantham changeover early 60s.I was int RAF at Feltwell near Brandon 1960-63 and got plenty of lifts with Turners trunkers to Grantham then diving into a Manchester bound wagon to be dropped off in Sheffield early hours.Same going back to camp on a sunday night. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:
After going through all the pages I missed I found this photo posted by Ray aka “Fishflunk” and he asked if I’d ever had a lift in this wagon of Turners.Well it might not have been the one in the photo but I had plenty of lifts in those BMCs of Turners when they were running a Norwich - Manchester trunk with a Grantham changeover early 60s.I was int RAF at Feltwell near Brandon 1960-63 and got plenty of lifts with Turners trunkers to Grantham then diving into a Manchester bound wagon to be dropped off in Sheffield early hours.Same going back to camp on a sunday night. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bet you’re glad you hopped out before trusting yourself to hurtling down Woodhead followed by a 4-in-line, Chris. :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:

Chris Webb:

Bet you’re glad you hopped out before trusting yourself to hurtling down Woodhead followed by a 4-in-line, Chris. :wink: :laughing:

Aye David.The Manchester trunkers used to pick me up int Wicker Sheffield about 2100,they were running “S” Type Bedfords then. They would run to Worksop on A57 then down to Newark via Ollerton,they didn’t hang about,especially one big irish feller that I got to know quite well.
You could smell the brakes when they stopped for me after coming over Woodhead. :grimacing:

Chris Webb:

Hia Chris, small world
1960s 70s I had run out of hours many times and parked up Manchester side of Woodhead and remember getting lifts off an Irish driver from Turners Norwich or Soham. 1970s the same driver moved to Walpole and Wright not sure if was related to E&SJ Walpole Diss Norfolk. Walpole and Wright used to do a night change over at a Lay By M60 A56 junction Stretford. I moved to Kings Lynn 1985 and was parked up at the grave yard BRS warehouse Wisbech “now taken over by Knowles Transport” and seen the same driver called George still working for Walpole annd Wright. He was thick set and black hair and lived at Necton near Swaffham.

My first job moving to Norfolk was on a sludge tanker at Clearwaste (Weeting Brandon) Brandon driving a 32 ton Hino. Money was good at weekends as we were paid hourly rate of “time and a turd” ? I did not stay long as it was the travelling from Kings Lynn and stink put me off. I moved to Dents Haulage Hilgay Downham Market Norfolk long gone.

My last job before retiring was civvy MOD MT driver at RAF Marham.
I had taken a photo on Sainsbury car park Kings Lynn and owner I am sure he said it was an old Turners lorry. Talking to the driver he used to work for yanks at RAF Feltwell, Sculthorpe. Mildenhall and later moved to MOD RAF West Rainham.

Regards Kev

Kraft Humko.tif (1.43 MB)

Hi Chris, Just read your RAF Hitchhiking story above, getting picked up by Turners at Wicker, Sheffield.
Here is a painting of “Wicker Arch” by transport artist Eric Bottomley, it is reproduced on a ceramic
wall plaque, one of three, that were given to me as a birthday present, the others being Leeds & Glasgow.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Proper paintings those are, Ray, you lucky bugger. :smiley:

Now who can name the most makes? My take:

Forget the trams, know nowt about them, so top to bottom, left to right,

1. XK 120, Morris van, Guy bus, Lambretta(?),
  2. Ford, Morris van, Moggie Minor, Daimler(?) Ford van(?),
  3. Austin Westminster, Standard(?)

Any takers? :wink:

Spardo:

Hi Spardo, In my opinion, the Sheffield bus is a Leyland, the black car on the right in Leeds
is a Ford Prefect, and the black car in Partick is an Austin 10. We shall see what the other
lads think. Kind Regards, Ray. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Spardo:

Grand paintings Ray

Well I’ll try and put yer right with the loco near Sheffield Victoria David. :smiley:
Top Sheffield.61626 ex LNER Gresley 4-6-0 Class B17/1 “Brancepath Castle”.Shedded at Norwich,Cambridge,King’s Lynn and March over it’s BR years.It will have come off at Victoria and an electric EM1 loco will have taken the train to Manchester London Road via the Woodhead line.Train could well have originated at Harwich and through to Liverpool,commonly known as “the Boat train”.

Second,Leeds. No number visible but it looks very much like an ex LNER 4-4-0 Class D49,known as “Hunts” or “Shires” and common in north east England and Scotland.

Third, Glasgow.Ex LMS Ivatt 2-6-0 Class 4MT 43141 on a local passenger train.

Rayt,I’ll get me coat… :stuck_out_tongue:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Chris, Just read your RAF Hitchhiking story above, getting picked up by Turners at Wicker, Sheffield.
Here is a painting of “Wicker Arch” by transport artist Eric Bottomley, it is reproduced on a ceramic
wall plaque, one of three, that were given to me as a birthday present, the others being Leeds & Glasgow.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Cheers for the paintings/pics Ray, of which you kindly sent me copies a wee while ago.
Now then, the 2nd pic and between the trams going the other way, Jowett Javelin and Austin/Morris A55 van.
Oily

kevmorrow:

Chris Webb:

Hia Chris, small world
1960s 70s I had run out of hours many times and parked up Manchester side of Woodhead and remember getting lifts off an Irish driver from Turners Norwich or Soham. 1970s the same driver moved to Walpole and Wright not sure if was related to E&SJ Walpole Diss Norfolk. Walpole and Wright used to do a night change over at a Lay By M60 A56 junction Stretford. I moved to Kings Lynn 1985 and was parked up at the grave yard BRS warehouse Wisbech “now taken over by Knowles Transport” and seen the same driver called George still working for Walpole annd Wright. He was thick set and black hair and lived at Necton near Swaffham.

My first job moving to Norfolk was on a sludge tanker at Clearwaste (Weeting Brandon) Brandon driving a 32 ton Hino. Money was good at weekends as we were paid hourly rate of “time and a turd” ? I did not stay long as it was the travelling from Kings Lynn and stink put me off. I moved to Dents Haulage Hilgay Downham Market Norfolk long gone.

My last job before retiring was civvy MOD MT driver at RAF Marham.
I had taken a photo on Sainsbury car park Kings Lynn and owner I am sure he said it was an old Turners lorry. Talking to the driver he used to work for yanks at RAF Feltwell, Sculthorpe. Mildenhall and later moved to MOD RAF West Rainham.

Regards Kev

Aye small world Kev.Walpole and Wright ran a nightly trunk to Manchester early 80s,loaded with malt for the breweries IIRC.I think the unit was either an F7 or maybe a FL10 but if you got at back of it on Woodhead that was it,no chance of passing after the two cuttings on Sheffield side,I remember it well when I was on nights…
A civvie at RAF Feltwell used to give me a lift to Stoke Ferry which was a start and I used to wait just past the A47 turn off at Lynn on the A17,usually about 8-00 pm. Turners Norwich,Rowntree Mackintosh Norwich-Halifax,Rickwoods from Swaffham doing the markets and odd times a Pointer tanker out of Dow Chemicals that ran to somewhere in Cheshire via Notts,Derby and Stoke,so I’d go with him as far as Derby and get a lift to Sheffield from there,bags of steel wagons to pick from at night.The usual way was via Sleaford and Newark but you took what was available at night,that A17 was dead really.I remember Dents from Hilgay,a biggish concern as well in those days.
The Thor missiles were at Feltwell when I was there and towed around the Norfolk/Suffolk countryside with Leyland Hippos. :laughing:

Chris

thor12.jpg

thor23.jpg

Chris Webb:
Grand paintings Ray

Well I’ll try and put yer right with the loco near Sheffield Victoria David. :smiley:
Top Sheffield.61626 ex LNER Gresley 4-6-0 Class B17/1 “Brancepath Castle”.Shedded at Norwich,Cambridge,King’s Lynn and March over it’s BR years.It will have come off at Victoria and an electric EM1 loco will have taken the train to Manchester London Road via the Woodhead line.Train could well have originated at Harwich and through to Liverpool,commonly known as “the Boat train”.

Second,Leeds. No number visible but it looks very much like an ex LNER 4-4-0 Class D49,known as “Hunts” or “Shires” and common in north east England and Scotland.

Third, Glasgow.Ex LMS Ivatt 2-6-0 Class 4MT 43141 on a local passenger train.

Rayt,I’ll get me coat… :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew an anorak would be along in a minute Chris, so I resisted making a fool of myself, it’s a helluva long time since my train spotting days at Tamworth high and low levels.

If I didn’t know you were waiting in the wings I’d have risked an LNER ‘namer’ for the top one and an 8-freight for one of the others. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

As for the cars, Oily, not sure you are right…but you could be. :unamused:

I had an agency driver in last week for a day, in his early 60s now according to his licence, and he said his dad had been the manager of Turner’s Manchester depot when it was at Collyhurst in the 1960s and 1970s. He told me that if they were a night driver short his dad would have to drive and he would ride with his dad, usually in a Bedford, to do a changeover at Grantham.

gingerfold:
I had an agency driver in last week for a day, in his early 60s now according to his licence, and he said his dad had been the manager of Turner’s Manchester depot when it was at Collyhurst in the 1960s and 1970s. He told me that if they were a night driver short his dad would have to drive and he would ride with his dad, usually in a Bedford, to do a changeover at Grantham.

I seem to recall getting a lift in an “S” Type of Turners’ Collyhurst depot from Sheffield and there was a youngish lad riding with his dad,I wonder if it was the same lad Graham?
The Fordham drivers changed over at Newark with Manchester lads and one night I got in a Newark bound wagon in Sheffield.No problem,the driver stopped just outside Newark,near the British Sugar plant and stopped a Grantham bound trunker for me. Good old days… :smiley:

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

I seem to recall getting a lift in an “S” Type of Turners’ Collyhurst depot from Sheffield and there was a youngish lad riding with his dad,I wonder if it was the same lad Graham?
The Fordham drivers changed over at Newark with Manchester lads and one night I got in a Newark bound wagon in Sheffield.No problem,the driver stopped just outside Newark,near the British Sugar plant and stopped a Grantham bound trunker for me. Good old days… :smiley:

It’s a small world Chris.

Thanks to Chris Webb, kevmorrow and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Recently in Inverness.