Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

A few photos I took at Wincanton depot at Maltby in 1995 when they had the Malton Bacon contract. Wincanton bought Glass Glover out in early 90s and the Littlewoods contract finished in 1994.I was made redundant and went back on tankers for two months,then back to Maltby as a full time shunter.Most of the fleet was ERF for a start but a few Hitler’s revenges and DAF 95s were present,plus an FL10 which was always popular,some drivers not liking to double-declutch - (or not knowing how to) :grimacing: ,all cast-offs from Milton Keynes,Chippenham and Trafford Park. :smiley: The FH Volvos were from Dawson rentals and it used to make me smile when the rookie TSMs upstairs allocated one to an agency lad and an ERF E10 or Merc to a full timer.Eventually we ended up with all 3 axled units and tri-axle trailers as we also did hanging carcasses and intersite work with semi processed meat in dolavs between Malton,Ossett,Ashton u Lyne,Whitchurch and Winsford as well as Ipswich and Elmswell Suffolk,although a lot was subbed out to local Malton hauliers.We also used subs for RDC work to Scotland and the South East,including Manton Transport,Mackays Kinross,Maclaughlan Perth,Mathers Aberdeen,Ashfield Transport Luton (what an immaculate fleet) and a host of others.
The contract finished in 2005 and I was again made redundant,I’d been at Maltby for 27 years…

winc12.jpg

winc11.jpg

winc10.jpg

winc8.jpg

winc6.jpg

winc5.jpg

winc4.jpg

winc2.jpg

winc1.jpg

TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries.Past Present And In Between In Pictures.Page 498. VALKYRIE. Tuesday,24th April,2018.

QUOTE: Ray Smyth » St.George’s Day,Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi Chris, Just read your RAF Hitchhiking story above, getting picked up by Turners at Wicker, Sheffield.
Here is a painting of “Wicker Arch” by transport artist Eric Bottomley, it is reproduced on a ceramic
wall plaque, one of three, that were given to me as a birthday present, the others being Leeds & Glasgow.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.UNQUOTE.

Eric Bottomley Portrait-Paintings,Patrick,Glagow,Scotland :-

BR-LMS H.G.Ivatt 4F 2-6-0 Steam Railway Locomotive,Glasgow Coronation Tram No.1274,Glasgow Standard Tram No.681,Austin Westminster A90-A95-A105,1955-1959,Austin 8HP or 10HP,1939-1947,Motorcars.

.BR-LMS H.G.Ivatt 4F 2-6-0 Steam Railway Locomotive,Glasgow Coronation Tram No.1274,Glasgow Standard Tram No.681,Austin Westminster A90-A95-A105,1955-1959,Austin 8HP or 10HP,1939-1947,Motorcars.1.jpg

More details about the Glasgow trams: Glasgow Coronation,DT64,EMB Bogies,8-Wheel,Tram,No.1274,1937-1941.
Glasgow Standard Tram,No.681,1898-1924,many of these Glasgow Standard Tramcars were built with gradually improved design over the years.
The Glasgow Tram System finished on Tuesday,4th September,1962.

Eric Bottomley Portrait-Paintings,Briggate,Leeds,West Yorkshire,England :-

BR-LNER-NE Raven B16 4-6-0 Steam Railway Locomotive,Leeds Horsfield Tram No.180,Leeds Feltham Tram No.501,Ford 7Y 8,Morris Minor,Ford Prefect Motorcars,Morris 8 Van.

.BR-LNER-NE Raven B16 4-6-0 Steam Railway Locomotive,Leeds Horsfield Tram No.180,Leeds Feltham Tram No.501,Ford 7Y 8,Morris Minor,Ford Prefect Motorcars,Morris 8 Van.1.jpg

More information on the Leeds Trams: Leeds Horsfield,Brush,DT60,4-Wheel,Tram,No.180,1930-1931.
Leeds Feltham,Union Construction Company,DT70,Two 4-Wheel EMB Maximum Traction Bogies,8-Wheel,Tram,No.501,1930-1931,originally London
United Tramways,then London Transport.
The Leeds Tram System finished on Saturday,7th November,1959.

Eric Bottomley Portrait-Paintings,The Wicker Arches,Sheffield,South Yorkshire,England :-

BR-LNER Gresley B17-1 4-6-0 Steam Railway Locomotive,61626,BRANCEPETH CASTLE,Sheffield Leyland Titan PD,Sheffield Trams No.253 & 189,Morris J Van,Jaguar XK120,Lambretta Scooter.

More information on the Sheffield Trams and Bus: Sheffield Domed-Roof,Sheffield Transport Department,DT61,Peckham P22 4-Wheel Truck,Tram,No.253,1936-1939. Sheffield Standard,Sheffield City Transport Department,DT61,Peckham 4-Wheel Truck,Tram,No.189,1934.

In the Postwar years Sheffield City Corporation Transport Department bought several batches of all-Leyland Titan PD double decker buses,including
the one in the above portrait-painting: Leyland Titan PD2/10/Leyland H58R Double Decker Bus-Omnibus,OWB 857,Sheffield No.657,1952 - NOTE registration and fleet number are informed guesses! :slight_smile: because the portrait-painting is not that clear.

The original Sheffield Tram System finished on Saturday,8th October,1960.

NOTE:A new Sheffield Tram System - the Sheffield Supertram System opened on Monday,21st March,1994.Stagecoach,the motorcoach,bus and train
operating group,took over the South Yorkshire Supertram Limited in 1997 and is contracted to run this Sheffield Supertram system until 2024.
Now known as Stagecoach Sheffield Supertram,the original still-in-service trams were refurbished in 2005-2009.
Sheffield Supertram No.120 is painted in a Sheffield Heritage light cream and blue livery - the blue should be the dark Azure Blue by the way.
All of the current Sheffield buses,motorcoaches and trams ought to be painted in the 1960 Sheffield City Corporation Transport Department livery!!! :exclamation: - to give back the City of Sheffield a major part of it’s identity!!! :exclamation:

Seven new Spanish-built Vossloh Citylink Class 399 Tram-Train Trams were bought 2015-1016 for operation on the new Sheffield to Parkgate Rotherham tram-train service which begins in 2018.

Sheffield Supertram,Siemans-Duewag,ST86,Electric Motors - 4 x Siemens 277 Kw- 373.4 BHP =1493.6 BHP,86-Seat,3-Section,Articulated,Tram-Supertram,No.120,1993-1994,Sheffield Heritage cream & blue livery - bring back the Sheffield Cream & Azure Blue livery on Sheffield buses,trams and motorcoaches!!! :exclamation: :smiley:

.Sheffield Supertram,Siemans-Duewag,ST86,Electric Motors - 4 x Siemens 277 Kw- 373.4 BHP =1493.6 BHP,86-Seat,3-Section,Articulated,Tram-Supertram,No.120,1993-1994,Sheffield Heritage cream & blue livery.1.jpg

#Sheffield
#Trams
#Supertrams
#Buses
#Motorcoaches

VALKYRIE

Bloody hell, Valkyrie, that’s information overload, I’ve only just got up for goodness’ sake. :open_mouth: :smiley:

But fascinating and very interesting nevertheless. Thank you. :laughing:

Chris Webb, love the photos of the Wincanton fleet , I cannot see the 95 daf’s but if I had the choice I take that or the VOLVOS ,then the ERF but NOT the old Mercs thank you ! :laughing: ,great photos .

JAKEY:
Chris Webb, love the photos of the Wincanton fleet , I cannot see the 95 daf’s but if I had the choice I take that or the VOLVOS ,then the ERF but NOT the old Mercs thank you ! :laughing: ,great photos .

Thanks Jakey,those Mercs were dire contraptions. Here’s a few more…

winc25.jpg

winc8.jpg

winc19.jpg

winc18.jpg

winc17.jpg

winc16.jpg

winc14.jpg

winc13.jpg

Thanks to Chris Webb for the pics :smiley: and all the supporting text… also VALKYRIE with all that detail for Ray’s paintings also the todays tram pic :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Brits in Spain

Still in Spain and a fine 1968 Berliet.
Oily

N.m.p,
Morning Oily,
I would imagine these D series would have been out of breath pretty quickly dragging these trailers around? Cheer’s Pete

df7a551f129fb69f0374ee5df79e4fe0.jpg

oiltreader:
Still in Spain and a fine 1968 Berliet.
Oily

Interesting! I had forgotten Berliet had produced trucks in Spain.

Leyland600:
Hi Buzzer, I reckon those two Atkis with the church spire in the background are climbing Parbold Hill not far from their home base. I remember seeing these wagons regularly in the 1960s, always immaculate when I started driving down through Lancashire for a living. This route was used by Atkinsons and Leyland Motors when road testing chassis. Here is a photo of the late Bill Hunter’s restored Atkinson which I met on Shap while attending a truck run in 2014.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Volvo should have used Parbold Hill for testing, but going down! Click on the photo for accompanying text

Volvo F10/F12 Canal Accident by Betapix, on Flickr

Meanwhile, here’s another Atkinson going up:

Pictures from Parbold Hill, on the A5209, just over 2 miles further on to the right is Junction 27, M6.
The Hagues lorry pictures are from Geoff Birchall. The Leyland Atlantean Ribble bus,fleet No. 1660
is on route 311, Liverpool to Blackburn, picture by Eckersley. Ray Smyth.

Ribble 1660.jpg

Hague 2.jpg

back on california next after short break in new one of theese

Thanks to pete smith, 240 Gardner, Ray Smyth and stevejones for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

European tipper variety, thanks to Peter Schöler
Oily

Tipper PS 30313761742_af18bedbca_o.jpg

Tipper PS 22080231366_13e6815217_o.jpg

Tipper PS 22116483961_55d2dac027_o.jpg

Tipper PS 12900786354_5e676793b7_o.jpg

Tipper PS 12900354935_51424cb0ee_o.jpg

pete smith:
N.m.p,
Morning Oily,
I would imagine these D series would have been out of breath pretty quickly dragging these trailers around? Cheer’s Pete

Minster Motors of Kings Lynn Pete, there is or was a Trucknet member who drove for them and yes and unless the D series had an implant it would struggle.
Dores Inn time coming up again :laughing: :sunglasses: .
Cheers
Oily

Had a Transit 17seater delivered on a D-Series, but this was not the fault of the motor.This ■■■■■■ was very late as far as production time and the headmaster of the school was very irate…They’d had vehicles from us before and no problem.Motor came .Hoo bloodyray! driver getting it off but one of the chains and hook weren’t fully wound up.He reversed the motor and the hook caught the drip rail over the rear doors.A ■■■■■■■ bus to tour round Barton-under- Needwood .That would have taken your mind off Thorneys Mr Woodings.Why didn’t we have digital cameras in those days ?
Had to write another of what do yousay to a customer in my excuses manual !

Tony

Know any history on this Oily or any one else ? loving the white wall tyres Buzzer.

Possibly the cab and cattle container was built by Leith bodybuilder Kirkness and Innes.
Cheers, Leyland 600

oiltreader:

pete smith:
N.m.p,
Morning Oily,

Minster Motors of Kings Lynn Pete, there is or was a Trucknet member who drove for them and yes and unless the D series had an implant it would struggle.
Cheers
Oily

Morning Oily,
Thank you for the info on the D series,
Can’t do the Dores Inn “trunk” this year mate, I’m moving house soon so I’m having a few days next week on Anglesey, will be visiting Llandudno transport festival on the Sunday, Mrs don’t know yet though! Dore’s Inn is pencilled in for next May, Cheer’s Pete

Buzzer:
Know any history on this Oily or any one else ? loving the white wall tyres Buzzer.

Hi a Buzzer
Many moons ago I used to deliver tinned food ex Smedleys Wisbech Long Sutton to William Lowes distribution warehouse (Tesco) Leith. Return load part of the year was seed potatoes for Lincolnshire. On my travells collecting from farms I am sure I had seen this vehicle, could have been Blairgowrie or Cowper Angus area or a look a like vehicle?

Regards Kev

pete smith:

oiltreader:

pete smith:
N.m.p,
Morning Oily,

Cheers
Oily

Morning Oily,
Thank you for the info on the D series,
Can’t do the Dores Inn “trunk” this year mate, I’m moving house soon so I’m having a few days next week on Anglesey, will be visiting Llandudno transport festival on the Sunday, Mrs don’t know yet though! Dore’s Inn is pencilled in for next May, Cheer’s Pete

I live near Kings Lynn and Minster Motors years ago used to deliver Scodas that were imported through Kings Lynn Docks.
1953 floods 100s of Scodas were written off and sold cheap locally. but I have heared stories many were still running rust free 1980s.

Cheers
Kev