Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hi everyone.This is a plea for help from an old Alton pensioner who is down on his luck.Next Monday I have to take my wife to the Southampton General for a scan.How do I get there? I know that this sounds impossible for a man of my many years experience but I,ve never been there.Many thanks.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Hi everyone.This is a plea for help from an old Alton pensioner who is down on his luck.Next Monday I have to take my wife to the Southampton General for a scan.How do I get there? I know that this sounds impossible for a man of my many years experience but I,ve never been there.Many thanks.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

I’m sure some will say stay on the motorway but I’d go M3 and come off for the A33 at Chilworth roundabout, head straight down the avenue and turn right at the first roundabout onto Winchester Road A35. Then follow the signs, you go down to another roundabout (straight across) Through quite a few sets of lights and then turn right on the lights 100 yards past the ‘Range’ and the Shell garage, down and up the hill (valley) . The hospital will appear in front of you. Head right for the car park but do get there early as parking can be a pig.

mikey1964:

charlie one:

I’m sure some will say stay on the motorway but I’d go M3 and come off for the A33 at Chilworth roundabout, head straight down the avenue and turn right at the first roundabout onto Winchester Road A35. Then follow the signs, you go down to another roundabout (straight across) Through quite a few sets of lights and then turn right on the lights 100 yards past the ‘Range’ and the Shell garage, down and up the hill (valley) . The hospital will appear in front of you. Head right for the car park but do get there early as parking can be a pig.

Many thanks for that mikey.Especially the last bit about parking.Very usefull.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Charlie 0ne,

You’re welcome and I hope all turns out well.

The car park can have longs waits, so get in early as I said, I’m sure you can guess what the avenue and area around the hospital can be like at rush hour! The M271/M27 is as bad as you may of experienced in your time, even with the wonderful lights now the highways have taken away the constant slip road. If you walk through the main entrance you’ll go past some shops and up to a burger king (ignore it). Turn left and just along that corridor opposite the cash points i think, you can walk down stairs to the visitors and staff canteen which is alot better than the burger king. If you are there for a long time I think the ward or department you are at can get you a concession on parking. This may well of stopped but its worth an ask. Expect to pay between £3 and £6 to park.

No need to thank me again, cheers Mike.

Mikey
Hi mate u delivered a new TIP fridge trailer in Frigoscania livery to Kings lynn & collected a steel tube from Sherbourne for me .
I will post the pics when I have time.
Cheers Rich

tribsa:
Mikey
Hi mate u delivered a new TIP fridge trailer in Frigoscania livery to Kings lynn & collected a steel tube from Sherbourne for me .
I will post the pics when I have time.
Cheers Rich

Tribsa,

it all come’s back with a jog to the memory, and i remember a few night runs to Bourneville and a good weekend at Shepton Mallet with my wife and kids sleeping in your old Daf at the truck show. Happy days with the boys from Royers! And i do remember the day I out lifted you and little sean with a diesel tank?

Mike

charlie one:

The way you’ve been told is correct:-if the scan your wife is having is a pet/ct then the trailer is parked round the back by Victoria house, if not the MRI and CT units are close by inside, they are signed posted,good luck… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

shady:

charlie one:

The way you’ve been told is correct:-if the scan your wife is having is a pet/ct then the trailer is parked round the back by Victoria house, if not the MRI and CT units are close by inside, they are signed posted,good luck… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Shady. Many thanks for the info mate.My wife is indeed having a pet/ct scan.Saved me a lot of walking.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

CHARLIE ONE ANY PROBS ON MONDAY GIVE US ACALL I ONLY LIVE AROUND THE CORNER AS MIKE SAYS PARKING CAN BE A SERIOUS ISSUE.
PS IL PM MY NUMBER AND IF YOU WANT ANY PICS SCANNED ON YOU CAN DROP EM OFF
REGARDS ALAN :laughing: :laughing:

Charlie:- OK buddy,One of the guys working on the trailer should be Adam,I don’t know who the others will be but let him know that I know you and it might help the process along. the whole thing should take close to 2hrs start to finish.I haul Pet/Ct 5 around and sometimes the one that is in Southampton,there are 6 of us that used to work for Davies now driving for InHealth.The best of luck on Mon. Steve… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

is ray wyer still about ie R&M freight
this was taken when we cleared the rowntree mackintosh whare house at eastleigh
cheers al :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ah shady i was working on the new queen Elizabeth school in wimborne till my accident ,
so that was your unit parked behind the garage nice one :smiley: :smiley:

swayze1:
ah shady i was working on the new queen Elizabeth school in wimborne till my accident ,
so that was your unit parked behind the garage nice one :smiley: :smiley:

Swayze1:-Elo buddy,yes matey parked at Stapehill end of Wimborne there most Wednesdays, but not for the next couple of weeks,I’m on me hols, going to ourgate again,like it their but cant rely on the weather… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

swayze1:
is ray wyer still about ie R&M freight
this was taken when we cleared the rowntree mackintosh whare house at eastleigh
cheers al :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Swayze

Ray is still operating he does mostly ‘Hillier Nursery’s’ work and a name from the past Allistair Lane is working for him

From Bubblemans Scarpbook thread

Left ■■■■■■ F12 of Southern Transport seen in Codford cafe,A36.

jdc:
I know its not strictly Southampton, but did any of you guys have any contact with Ron Ridgers based in Lymington? As a kid, I used to go past his yard, right in the middle of the one way system in Lymington and remember looking at his F12’s with envy :smiley:

I think he used to run to Italy quite regularly but I could be wrong on that. I see his son, Ron, a bit but he is now in the building trade I think.

I used to work for Ridgers back in the 80s and heres a list of others that worked for him about that time. Derek Moody (RIP),Hookey McKenner(RIP),Mick Sheen,Bob English,Bob The Dog,Brian Read,Alan(went to work for ROBA),Les Richmond(Tonto),Kevin Screech(Handbag),Steve Kemp(Steam Queen),Les McKenner(Ragger),Henry Roberts,Chippy(Later went on for R&A),Todd McKenner.Thats the only ones i can recall at the moment.regards ,Todd

Hello Mikey1964
Mike did you ever work for a company called something PEARCE ran out of Fareham had Leyland Roadtrains might of had a couple of ERFs■■?
Regards Jacko

R_JACKO, you must mean John Pearce from Shirrell Heath…Coca Cola work, Capt. Morgan (Also of Buzzer Davies) worked there.

Pat, that was Ginger Ainsleys F12 on STS.

GAZIOW: I stopped at Victors, Burgos for a refreshement. As I strolled past the “club”, an old bird sat on the step outside called out “garree?” , I politely replied “Si senora”, She said " My my, you have not aged, but why did you dye your flamed hair?" I thought for a moment, then replied " But I have never been ginger!" and swiftly moved on! Should I have enquired further? Would it have been to my advantage? Discount maybe, introduction to her 24 year old son?daughter?

I was a contract subbie to Ferrymasters Southampton around then but I must admit I can’t place those firms. Probably due to spending too many nights in the Juniper Berry or paddling around the swiming pool car park.

Hi All, Hi Toddmck i remember back early 80’s i did a load of reels of paper i think it was a scac trailer I had on for Bob Cartwrght at the time, there was a driver tipping with me from Ridgers just cant think of his name he had a scannie he used to park on one of the bridges over the M27 and used to live around there somewhere in chilworth, well it was his advise i took while we tipping that day i was drinking bottles of coke like there was no tomorrow, he said to me" you should see a Doctor mate might have diabetes" how right that man was !! thats exactly what i had.just cant remember his name. Regards Jimski