Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Another of Bubbleman’s pics from his Scrapbook thread an ex Phillips Volvo they worked out of Southampton for a while with Mr Roy Gover as transport manager

F88 6x4 of N.G.Williams of Bristol,lorry is ex E.F.Phillips ,Parkstone.

ainacs:
Another of Bubbleman’s pics from his Scrapbook thread an ex Phillips Volvo they worked out of Southampton for a while with Mr Roy Gover as transport manager

F88 6x4 of N.G.Williams of Bristol,lorry is ex E.F.Phillips ,Parkstone.

I used to meet up with one of Phillips drivers a lot a west country lad known as Lenny and we always seemed to have to much falling down water on the boat but we called it seasickness I think? one trip early 70s customs were on go slow so I knew we would be parked all weekend and was legless Saturday morning coming off ferry and had a wee bit extra in my bag but got through O K when I went back down Monday the customs man pulled me and said if I had ,had to pay duty on what was inside I would not be able to afford it and he new I had taken a couple of extra bottles through and it cost me a couple of brandy s in the bar but some you win some you lose.

CHEERS PAT , LITTLE MAT MUST BE INVOLVED BY KNOW I HOPE ,
HOW DO RECKON MAGGIE D IS DOING CAUSE HE IS SO QUIET,
HOPE HE PUTS SOME PICS ON SOON SO WE GET PAGE 100
FAIR PLAY TO YOU BOYS WHO STARTED THIS THREAD :wink: :wink: :wink:

We (Ian and I) had the honour of speaking to “Nunkey” last night. We have informed him of trucknet, he is into a steam wagon forum, so shouldnt have a problem here.

Jimski:
Hi All, Hi Toddmck i remember back early 80’s i did a load of reels of paper i think it was a scac trailer I had on for Bob Cartwrght at the time, there was a driver tipping with me from Ridgers just cant think of his name he had a scannie he used to park on one of the bridges over the M27 and used to live around there somewhere in chilworth, well it was his advise i took while we tipping that day i was drinking bottles of coke like there was no tomorrow, he said to me" you should see a Doctor mate might have diabetes" how right that man was !! thats exactly what i had.just cant remember his name. Regards Jimski

Thanks to your question Jim i have recalled two more drivers that worked for Ridgers and they are Brian Oliver,and Bill Smith.Bill Smith used to park up at Chilworth so that sounds as if he was your man.

R-JACKO:
Hello Mikey1964
Mike did you ever work for a company called something PEARCE ran out of Fareham had Leyland Roadtrains might of had a couple of ERFs■■?
Regards Jacko

Yes rich, I left before they moved to fareham. I think i left to go to pitters or the other way round. they only had about 5 motors i think when i joined but they bought a bigger outfit from fareham (alan something i think) and It dragged the owner down If i remember rightly. We also used to do a lot of fizzy coke distribution from MK and edmonton etc. A good job until they bought the other outfit. They moved all the plastic cups etc to mcdonalds rdc’s from a company in gosport. I do believe a nipper who was on there went in the docks, he was guilty of planting a slightly open tin of sardines or some fish under my bunk ( i was ever so grateful).

Mike

mikey1964:

R-JACKO:
Hello Mikey1964
Mike did you ever work for a company called something PEARCE ran out of Fareham had Leyland Roadtrains might of had a couple of ERFs■■?
Regards Jacko

Yes rich, I left before they moved to fareham. I think i left to go to pitters or the other way round. they only had about 5 motors i think when i joined but they bought a bigger outfit from fareham (alan something i think) and It dragged the owner down If i remember rightly. We also used to do a lot of fizzy coke distribution from MK and edmonton etc. A good job until they bought the other outfit. They moved all the plastic cups etc to mcdonalds rdc’s from a company in gosport. I do believe a nipper who was on there went in the docks, he was guilty of planting a slightly open tin of sardines or some fish under my bunk ( i was ever so grateful).

Mike

Hello Mike
The nipper who went in the docks did he have ginger hair■■? :laughing:
Regards Jacko

MIKEY was that other firm ALAN WATKINS, blue and white ,
they moved into the mill at bishops waltham for a short while.
:cry: :cry:

Yet another of Bubblemans pics from his Scrapbook Thread this time Mammoths Merc seen in Poole.

Swayze1,

that was it Alan Watkins. Thanks. When John Pearce took them over we were based in the corner of the yard in Bishops Waltham so they came there but I think they either moved to fareham or came from fareham. i left shortly after john bought them i think.

R-Jacko

Richie, ginger hair. And a proper ugly git too! Can’t imagine any one would know him in the docks, quiet and shy type? J?

mike

mikey1964:
Swayze1,

that was it Alan Watkins. Thanks. When John Pearce took them over we were based in the corner of the yard in Bishops Waltham so they came there but I think they either moved to fareham or came from fareham. i left shortly after john bought them i think.

R-Jacko

Richie, ginger hair. And a proper ugly git too! Can’t imagine any one would know him in the docks, quiet and shy type? J?

mike

Got in one mike :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi All, Hey Gazzer i read some where else on this site that Nunkey has an old steam traction engine or some thing like that does any body know where he keeps it ■■? Why ive asked i cos there is some one just around the corner from where i live in Totton Im wondering if it might be Nunkey ■■ I aint seen him for about 25 years. R Jimski.

Jimski:
Hi All, Hey Gazzer i read some where else on this site that Nunkey has an old steam traction engine or some thing like that does any body know where he keeps it ■■? Why ive asked i cos there is some one just around the corner from where i live in Totton Im wondering if it might be Nunkey ■■ I aint seen him for about 25 years. R Jimski.

Sorry all it should av read "there is some one in Totton that has a steam traction engine " just wondering if that might be Nunkey ■■

Hi Toddmck Yeah Bill seems to ring a bell that could be the fella. R Jimski.

Hi jimski nunkey lives and keeps his steam engine in a row off houses on the entrance to poulton’s park but this weekend will probabley be at the netly marsh steam rally :laughing:

Hello All
Does any one remember BLING HAULAGE :question: found this old ■■■■■■■ Bubblemans scrap book i thought i put these couple of photos on for a laugh,apparently the guy also has living accommodation in the trailer :laughing:
Last seen in France.I think he could have put a elephants trunk where the Peterbuilt sign is :laughing:

Regards Jacko

Hi Gerbil thanks for that, not the fella around the road from me then. how things looking for Aug bank holiday roundup ■■

Hi mate august bank holiday should be ok last time i spoke to tim shepard he was still up for us going there so it all depends on who wants to turn up on the sunday :laughing:

Its a come one come all situation in August. Those that dont lose out in a social sense.

I think the only legal number plate on that rig is Belgian.

Hi Gazzer hope you got the P.M. ok, Im useless on these things. off to Germany tomorrow for 3 days see you all later.
Hey Mappo your quite lateley Tony.Whats Doin ? Regards Jimski

Hello All
Does any one remember the exact year that Bakers Transport ceased as a transport company■■?
Regards Jacko