Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Sorry Lesley, aka Mrs Smith.

Gazzer…case of mistaken identity mate…Ray Smyth is not Roy Smith… :confused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Yep Mappo, my mistake not reading it correctly.

Just found in Dad’s stuff
Dukes of Bishops Waltham
Jeremy

Cfat

My Dad Tony Roberts passed away on wednesday, he never did much continental but he was a driver all his life,
Scats in Romsey , Reeves of Manchester, G Dear Whiteparish, Monkton Motors, Conoco before he started on his own in 74/75.
His last driving job was in his 7.5 tonner do groupage for Sea Route out of Eastleigh, But its was Farm Sales , Markets & Shooting was his real passion
& taking about the Army & War
He’s now doing a deal or 2 with the big G upsatirs
Jeremy

Badger:
My Dad Tony Roberts passed away on wednesday, he never did much continental but he was a driver all his life,
Scats in Romsey , Reeves of Manchester, G Dear Whiteparish, Monkton Motors, Conoco before he started on his own in 74/75.
His last driving job was in his 7.5 tonner do groupage for Sea Route out of Eastleigh, But its was Farm Sales , Markets & Shooting was his real passion
Jeremy

My condolences Jeremy, to you and your family on your loss…

Badger:
Jeremy

So sorry for your very sad loss Jeremy.My old Dad

passed away back in 87. Still miss him even now.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Smiths of Maddiston definitely operated 2 eight wheel Scammell Routemans
XWG 158 and XMS 540.They also operated a 6 wheel Scammell Routeman artic on continental service. This being SMS 212H.
Regards,
GBW.

roolechat:

pete smith:
Would this be Southampton depot?

GBW:

roolechat:

pete smith:

In the late 60’s,Smith’s opened a Southampton office in a house on West Park Road-near the station.The office was primarily to obtain back loads IIRC Bob Alford was one of the first managers.Vehicles were operated from the Lido lorry Park.
Later a depot was established in Nutsey Lane Totton which Jameson later shared

roolechat:
In the late 60’s,Smith’s opened a Southampton office in a house on West Park Road-near the station.The office was primarily to obtain back loads IIRC Bob Alford was one of the first managers.Vehicles were operated from the Lido lorry Park.
Later a depot was established in Nutsey Lane Totton which Jameson later shared

In-between being at the baths lorry park and Testwood, (where they shared with Bulwark) they were for a number of years at Elm Terrace, by the floating bridge, along with Jameson, and Yardly
The pub on the corner, The Chapel Arms, became the unofficial second office for the paperwork, especially for the night
trunks…

GBW:

roolechat:

pete smith:

Hi Pete…It was indeed Southampton depot, however, it never had that TK 6 wheeler, or did it ever run to the Continent out of Southampton as advertised in that flyer.
They did have a GuyJ in “Continental” colours, SD435 with a 180 ■■■■■■■■ first driven by Mick Hennessey, then I drove it after he left to join Henry Smithers…
With that short stubby exhaust it was loud, and in those colours a dodgy night ( not that I ever did :unamused: ) was out of the question, everyone knew you !!

Fergie47

Hi Dave whats a dodgy then??
At one time SOM used to park trailers in our yard below the filling station

DISPATCHER:
Fergie47

Hi Dave whats a dodgy then??
At one time SOM used to park trailers in our yard below the filling station

Hi Chris…I think it’s when you didn’t get much sleep ?.. :wink:

Do you remember Bootsie Biddle ? he phoned in late one night as he’d run out of diesel near Droxford whilst on a dodgy …your Dad answered the phone…whoops… :unamused:

Dave last time I saw Bootsie, I think he was driving Calor Gas rigid

HI badger ,sorry to hear about your dad lost mine 4 years back but still not easy, chin up mate. See you soon and keep an camping :smiley:

Badger:
Jeremy

Jeremy, Sorry to here of your sad loss, I worked with your dad on W.Reeves of Manchester 1961/62. A pleasure to have known him.

Stroker 156 DOT:

Badger:
Jeremy

Jeremy, Sorry to here of your sad loss, I worked with your dad on W.Reeves of Manchester 1961/62. A pleasure to have known him.

Stroker could you let me know your name so I can pass onto Mum, We have heard more times than can count of Warwick changeover, ISR bales of rubber a chinese six with 3/4 lock steering cant remember the make, but Reeves & Monkton Motors were I think his most memorable jobs
thanks
Jeremy

This was posted on facebook.

Click on page twice to view.