Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Fergie47:
I know it’s not a Southampton motor, but it’s close ! This came in a batch of pic’s sent to me by a French friend off a French forum, not sure if it’s been posted before…[/

Fergie I think it maybe closer than you think, looks like a Condor motor to me who made steel buildings in Winchester IIRC but Harvey will surely put us right on that one Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Fergie47:
I know it’s not a Southampton motor, but it’s close ! This came in a batch of pic’s sent to me by a French friend off a French forum, not sure if it’s been posted before…[/

Fergie I think it maybe closer than you think, looks like a Condor motor to me who made steel buildings in Winchester IIRC but Harvey will surely put us right on that one Buzzer.

Hi John, hope you and the family are all well…

Sorry, I didn’t explain myself properly, I should have said its a Condor, Winchester wagon…we use to take steel in from Scotland and the North East, and take finished fabricated steel out, mainly for Scotland, This would be late ,'60’s, I think they ran Atkinsons in those days…all all long time ago eh…!!!

Fergie47:

Buzzer:

Fergie47:

Hi John, hope you and the family are all well…

Sorry, I didn’t explain myself properly, I should have said its a Condor, Winchester wagon…we use to take steel in from Scotland and the North East, and take finished fabricated steel out, mainly for Scotland, This would be late ,'60’s, I think they ran Atkinsons in those days…all all long time ago eh…!!!

From humble beginnings in 1947 renting the village forge at Kings Worthy for 12s 6d per week,Condor grew to be one of the largest designers & suppliers of structural steelwork.Factories were opened in Burton On Trent,Darlington & ■■■■■■■■■■■ & overseas operations were set up in Australia,Nigeria & Kuala Lumper with agents in other parts of the world. Condor always operated a nucleus of their own vehicles at Winnal supplemented by hauliers as required

Conder had a site down Cupernham Lane didn’t they? Where they made prestressed concrete sections or such like. When they got into septic tank fabrication they used to store them there. Badger knows more. Wasn’t it Conder on the mainroad between Romsey and North Baddesley, where Pentalver moved into?

Gary
It was Reed & Mallick in Cupernham Lane, Reema in Baddesley
Condor did have a steel yard when Reed & Mallick moved, Condor kept all their long sections there had a full length Gantry crane, I think it finished there in the mid 90’s. When Cristofoli had their tile works in the est we use to park in the disused crane area as it was to far to go back to my yard?
Jeremy

So what happened to them ?

Fergie47:
So what happened to them ?

Perhaps Pat Scorey would have some info on Conder Engineering, although I have no contact details for him.

condor still going they bought allslade fabrication in portsmouth doing the steel work for university of southampton bolderwood project they also used to be in leigh road eastleigh where lamberts are

If my poor old tired brain is still working that 88 of Condor Steel

was driven by Pete Prior who was a cousin of the Rawlings. When I first started for

Jimmy I had an 86 doing mostly Condor work. I used to do a regular run

on a Sunday to Condor ■■■■■■■■■■■■ Bit of a struggle as the old girl

was slightly underpowered. However she was comfortable. Like

driving a car after the Big J I was driving before!

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer:

Fergie47:

No pressure then mate, Eric Pettit dealt with Condor, they were at the end of the Winnal trading estate.
I did a few hand-overs for him and this was one.
From memory Winchester was the fabrication base for the “Hill Span” buildings they made and sold, a lot was agricultural.
Fell out a little with the 290 prob’s ( like a lot of people) but a good customer of Princes. harvey

Hillspan was based in Eastliegh started originaly opposite Fords in Wide lane then moved to Boyatt Wood, no links with Condor.

Can I be pedantic and tantalisingly correct the name of the company of the 290 above?
CONDER (Southern)Ltd IIRC!

Conder Allslade are a steel structure business based in Pompey and construct hi profile buildings. I would think a development of Conder (Southern) Ltd.

DISPATCHER:
Hillspan was based in Eastliegh started originaly opposite Fords in Wide lane then moved to Boyatt Wood, no links with Condor.

2 Totally seperate organisations.There may have been mutual respect between John Cole’s Conder & Dudley Hill’s Hillspan,but there was no financial connection whatsoever

gazzer:
Can I be pedantic and tantalisingly correct the name of the company of the 290 above?
CONDER (Southern)Ltd IIRC!

Conder Allslade are a steel structure business based in Pompey and construct hi profile buildings. I would think a development of Conder (Southern) Ltd.

WOW mate, am I glad I am old. You think you remember the small details, things then bang.
I remember a welder at Conder who after placing all the huge beams in a jig could just lay the welding rod in the joint without a mask and stitch a lovely run of weld.
The steel was so thick and the weld rod so big he just kept his eyes away, no way it would stick. Glad you are well mate, Harvey

Hi All
When Coder finished the Burton depot kept going and later brought Allslade when they went pear
The 290 picture is on the winchesterbypass
Cheers
Rich

Cart & Horses dinner for a few.

HI All
Hope you all had a good dinner, but who got Charlies wallet out or is it another persons plus didn’t Richard jump across to get his DKV card back lol

Cheers

Rich

gazzer:
Cart & Horses dinner for a few.

No sign of Mappo…or was he behind the camera ■■ Regards, Ray Smyth.

In my capacity as A.R.S.E. (Alcohol Related Scrutineering Executive) on my recent trip
to Spain, I observed these important delivery lorries, as well as sampling their products.
Pleased to say that the brewery products were as good as ever. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Smiffy,: Mappo made his excuses and was unable to attend for health reasons.

Cruz Campo…mmmmmm! We’ve all switched to Victoria, brewed in Malaga and Murcia. More taste.