Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

I dragged my trailer behind The Joker with Garry , from Italy to Le Havre.
Richard G

Was that your on trailer or Gary’s trailer. We need to know. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

One for charlie one

robthedog:
One for charlie one

Many thanks for that. Oh me lost youth!

Looks like Dobber Lawrence. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hello charley, My brain is a bit buggere4d, Gary and her girl came home from Italy in my truck and asr trailer. Me and Gary borrowed a trailer from Alton to put his truck on it. Gary (I think) said leave the trailer in Le Havre and we went to Italy just with the truck. We went on Susa?? I got his trailer on behind me and then we sort off put the Joker on a chain and drag thing behind the trailer. We came up to the Tunnel and they said would have to pay both trucks, at the time Gary then started to growl like being a dog, The bloke deciced he didn’t like dogs so let us through the tunnel !!!~~
We drove across France and I don’t think we paid f.or 2 trucks?
I am going to bed no9w I am tired
Richard HG

charlie one:
Was that your on trailer or Gary’s trailer. We need to know. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Charlie done you some pickled shallots mate if you can arrange a courier, there is a shady mush from Wellow way who does this sort of work and he takes DKV cards for payment so let me know when you have got it organized.
On another note I ran back up with Richard with Gazzer dangling on a bar and chain tow and believe there were a couple more in the convoy as well, Gaz was offered a break from being towed at about Macon but insisted on completing the whole journey and IIRC it was peeing down as well so no fun being 6 foot behind a tilt and no forward vision, he needed an endurance medal for that but was cream crackered when he got to Le Havre but that’s how it was every one mucked in, real camaraderie back then and Mary Hopkins was singing on the radio as well, all the best to you and Rose, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks for the info Richard. I’d forgotten that story until now.

You’ve got a better memory than me! Hope you’re still keeping

your end up. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer:

charlie one:

Charlie done you some pickled shallots mate if you can arrange a courier, there is a shady mush from Wellow way who does this sort of work and he takes DKV cards for payment so let me know when you have got it organized.
On another note I ran back up with Richard with Gazzer dangling on a bar and chain tow and believe there were a couple more in the convoy as well, Gaz was offered a break from being towed at about Macon but insisted on completing the whole journey and IIRC it was peeing down as well so no fun being 6 foot behind a tilt and no forward vision, he needed an endurance medal for that but was cream crackered when he got to Le Havre but that’s how it was every one mucked in, real camaraderie back then and Mary Hopkins was singing on the radio as well, all the best to you and Rose, cheers Buzzer.

Thank you very much Buzzer. The Wellow Wonderman said he was coming up to Alton soon. I will remind him.looking forward to receiving them. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all, What a sad site.
Was that the end of the old girl or was she mended ■■? wont ask Gary, would’nt like to make a grown man cry !!! Harvey

Hello, The Joker was mended. Took a while so Gazzer was driving a lot of Rawlings trucks about
Richard

charlie one:

Buzzer:

charlie one:

Thank you very much Buzzer. The Wellow Wonderman said he was coming up to Alton soon. I will remind him.looking forward to receiving them. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]

Hi John,

Thank you I resemble that remark just got back from doing a quick Glasgow today,the manageress in the high class lingerie shop I do a lot of work for said “Morning Richard are you here again ? you must know all our shops up and down the country” to which I replied “Yes I had a job in the Cambridge shop but it didn’t last” she said “What were you doing there” I replied “Measuring the customers for underwear it was £120 a week”
she said"Thats not much" I said “That’s all I could afford”

Let me know when the Shallots are at Tracey Island and I will collect them and drop them to Charlie,I would like to purchase a jar if you have one available please,I will leave the cash with Horry, I was wondering what to get Angie for Christmas !

If anyone would like to join Jimski,Mappo and myself when we go to Alton for lunch please let me know,the DKV card is still good for a few quid.

Regards
Richard

Richard have dispatched said pickled goods to Tracy Island this AM via super courier “The Boss” and will be left in office in the care of Horry so collection at your will. There is a half gallon jar of shallots for dear Charlie who was down on his luck but things are now looking up for him & also a duel pack of 2lb jars one shallot one onion for your good self, you can then make the choice of what you give Angie for a Christmas present. I advise both as you will know from experience there is nought better than a nice pair, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Richard have dispatched said pickled goods to Tracy Island this AM via super courier “The Boss” and will be left in office in the care of Horry so collection at your will. There is a half gallon jar of shallots for dear Charlie who was down on his luck but things are now looking up for him & also a duel pack of 2lb jars one shallot one onion for your good self, you can then make the choice of what you give Angie for a Christmas present. I advise both as you will know from experience there is nought better than a nice pair, cheers Buzzer.

Thank you John,perhaps you and the Boss will make a trip out our way over the festive season so I can repay your kindness.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

Buzzer:

Thank you John,perhaps you and the Boss will make a trip out our way over the festive season so I can repay your kindness.

Regards
Richard

Richard you are so kind but I knew that as I had to tell young Charlie to button it at the August bash never stopped going on about you and yours well it was proper embarrassing I can tell you, personally I think he is losing it and poor Rose has a awful lot to put up with. Any ways if we can break ourselves away from flogging the Christmas trees and mistletoe something we have to do each year to make ends meet, you know how it is Richard all these drivers thought we made a fortune out of trucks while all the while we feathering there nests not our own but thanks for the offer anyways. Buy the way the Boss is still taking in ironing which she does in the evenings for a few well healed ex drivers which all goes in the survival pot, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

MaggieD:

Buzzer:

Regards
Richard

Richard you are so kind but I knew that as I had to tell young Charlie to button it at the August bash never stopped going on about you and yours well it was proper embarrassing I can tell you, personally I think he is losing it and poor Rose has a awful lot to put up with. Any ways if we can break ourselves away from flogging the Christmas trees and mistletoe something we have to do each year to make ends meet, you know how it is Richard all these drivers thought we made a fortune out of trucks while all the while we feathering there nests not our own but thanks for the offer anyways. Buy the way the Boss is still taking in ironing which she does in the evenings for a few well healed ex drivers which all goes in the survival pot, cheers Buzzer.

John,
At least in Mappo’s case she only has shorts to iron !!

Regards
Richard

I get my socks ironed as well… :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mappo:
I get my socks ironed as well… :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mappo also has his “Disguise Clobber” washed and ironed…including his “Alloa Athletic F.C.” replica footy shirt. Ray.

Never mind the saga of The Joker, I’m so pleased that Richard is still with us, not having heard or seen him for a while.
Missed at the August Bash for many a year Green Canary!!

My trailer was dropped opposite the Italian Routiers Susa. Loaded with Bolzano apples.
I went with Richard up to LH and Sonya accompanied John “Animal” Smith…he might have enjoyed that but I’m not sure she did!
Richard and I bob tailed back with a bar and a chain or two.
Sorted an air leak and ran the engine attached 6ft from the back of my tilt with Richard up front. Boy that is hard all that way trying to stay awake and keep control of the tractor when you cant see anything and peeing with rain.
Just to make up the lost time, Jimmy sent us double manned to Germany to fill out the week whilst Prince’s recovered The Joker from Pompey dock.
Then spent months of locating a cab. VOLVO had none as “spares” all were allocated for production.
Keltruck offered to cut the roof off a standard cab and fit a top…in the end VOLVO came up with a cab fully kitted out.
I drove various vehicles for ASR in my leisure time. Sonya got a job working for M&S in London with a friend to pass the time and bring in some money. She also did Worldwide Courriering for DHL from Feltham too, she didn’t like that too much.

EAA Containers.JPG

richard.h.g:
Hello, The Joker was mended. Took a while so Gazzer was driving a lot of Rawlings trucks about
Richard

Hello Richard, Gazzer and I whent our seperate ways many years ago but bumped into each other now and again during work time so not much oportunity to chat.
I remember David Rawlings and the last time I saw Jim was about 6 months after Davids funeral.
Now I understand Jim has allso gone, very sad indeed.
What became of the Joker ■■? do you know ■■ Harvey

Hello, I have no idea what happened to The Joker. Gary can tell you. I stopped being a trucker about 30 years ago.
Richard