Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

I wonder how many of us remember Mr Des Meacher a really decent bloke

DEANB:
An old pic of Meachers. I know they are still operating.

Morning Deanb,
When in West quay road they belonged to pirelli cable company and covered thier haulage requirements.
they moved to Nursling industrial estate (still there) seting up K L Commercials, the ERF main dealers,( who i worked for for about 6 years)
Bob Terris whent from TM to owner when they bought themselves out of pirelli.
KL stoped when MAN took over from Western Star, I joined Hendy truck.
A nice man with a lot of knowledge in our industry. cheers
Harvey

Hi Jimski,

I found the photo I took when on a trip with Phil in the early eighties, that’s him in the Merc on the left. There is a good selection of Southampton lorries, including Transport Services, Springroad and Skillbeech!
I have more from around this time if anyone is interested.

Regards, Mark

LR Man:
Hi Jimski,

I found the photo I took when on a trip with Phil in the early eighties, that’s him in the Merc on the left. There is a good selection of Southampton lorries, including Transport Services, Springroad and Skillbeech!
I have more from around this time if anyone is interested.

Regards, Mark

Yes please Mark let’s have them, as you say a lot of Southampton trucks together and that’s how it was back then, most drivers knew each other as they all shipped out Sunday, Monday & Tuesday on a regular basis. There was real camaraderie then and all would help each other if in trouble like a blow out but sadly not the same today as for a start a lot of these companies are no more but they were definitely the best days in the job, cheers Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer,

I have found a ticket from one of my trips with Phil going out on a Tuesday from Southampton to Le Havre.

BEFORE you all start questioning your future…I will be at The Wheatsheaf on Bank Holiday Sunday in August even if you aren’t! Just sayin’ ya know!

gazzer:
BEFORE you all start questioning your future…I will be at The Wheatsheaf on Bank Holiday Sunday in August even if you aren’t! Just sayin’ ya know!

I’m glad someone will be there Gazzer. I’m fitting extra batteries on my

buggy which enable me to do the return trip. I’ve also spoken to Mappo.

He’s going to bring a tow rope with him in case I need to be taken home.

What a lovely chap. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

LR Man… great pic there, could have been me in the other Merc, like Phil went later into a Fiat.

Gazzer… i’ll be there mate with Paul Nichols, and just spoke with Charlie, he’s gonna be there
and so will Richard Green…pretty sure it will be a full house as usual, its become a tradition now eh…
Look forward to seeing everyone…

Must have been typing at the same time Charlie…they do say great minds think alike. :unamused: :laughing:

Very true Tony. We sure do have great minds Just like new.

Hardly ever been used! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all. I was only thinking about the Wheatsheaf get together an wondered if i was going to be on me own this year but good news all me old buddies will be there that’s good to know.How is your shoulder getting on buzzer hope it’s getting there.My my you are a busy boy of a weekend wrighty you do work hard.Hope you play hard to. :sunglasses:

mappo:
Must have been typing at the same time Charlie…they do say great minds think alike. :unamused: :laughing:

Hi Tony, You are so right…Great minds think alike…Fools seldom differ. Talk to you soon, Regards, Ray. :wink: :wink:

Hi All
We have slipped to page two oh no
Its nice to see so many local lorries on the Paul site
Cheers
Rich

Another old one of Meachers.

DEANB:

Hi DEANB never thought I would see the photos of Meachers old trucks…nice to see them I drove one of these old Comers for quite a while, really good trucks I loved driving them

It looks as if they were TS3 Maxiload,s with the wider front wings and twin headlights.

totton trooper:

DEANB:

Hi DEANB never thought I would see the photos of Meachers old trucks…nice to see them I drove one of these old Comers for quite a while, really good trucks I loved driving them

You never know what is going to pop up on these pages chap ! :wink:

kerbut:
It looks as if they were TS3 Maxiload,s with the wider front wings and twin headlights.

Heres a commer advert Nigel ! :wink:

Click on twice to read.

DEANB:

found this the other day, amongst some bits and bobs from my mum and dads house

I had an Austin Westminster back in the day.

Lovely car. It shows your dad wasn’t like some of the

hauliers with the Range Rovers and Porsches. He used his

loaf.Good posting George. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing: