Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

Conga:

240 Gardner:

Mi671ke:
Hi just seen this page, Robert Armstrong(Liverpool)Ltd, Linacre Road Litherland, workedclosely with Streets of Watchet in the 60s,taking backloads of paper reels for Bowaters Ellesmere Port fron the Reed and Smith Mill at Watchet. I beleive they were absorbed by Pandoro llater on.

They became part of the P&O Group, but nothing directly to do with Pandoro. As I recall, they disappreaed into P&O Roadtanks along with James Hemphill, John Forman & A S Jones

I think Pandoro were the paper company.I drove for Armstrongs from 1973 until emigrating in 1979.Then were all based in Southampton.Think PO to command in 1978 or77.I picked up the ERF from Linacre on my first trip.The Volve was painted in P&O colours later then replaced with an F12 which I drove from new.

I worked at Reeds in Watchet as a mecanic after leaving the Army(based at Watchet in the REME).Strangly worked for Armstongs later.

A couple of pictures of Liverpool Corporation Cleansing Dept lorries Courtesy of “xkopite/Dave”.
A Dennis, cant remember whether it was a Dennis Max, or Dennis Pax, seen here in Liverpool
City Centre, probably late 1950s, cant make out the exact location, someone will know.
It could be near the top end of Bold Street.

The Leyland Beaver artic OKB 884 dates from approx 1953, and is seen at one of several dumps
on the then outskirts of the city. The colour scheme was 2 shades of grey. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Percy Quirk.jpg

This AEC appears to be from a Liverpool BRS Depot, judging by the Depot code, and the Reg. No.
Picture courtesy of Eddie Heaton.

Yes CA was Studholme Street Depot, Liverpool…Tony.

Ray Smyth:
This AEC appears to be from a Liverpool BRS Depot, judging by the Depot code, and the Reg. No.
Picture courtesy of Eddie Heaton.

It’s an AEC Mercury. We had a similar one to this on an E plate, ex-BRS Leeds, which came with a braking system that could couple to either air braked or vacuum braked trailers.

An article about Liverpool.

Click on pages twice to read.

I have borrowed these 2 pictures from the “Scrapbook Memories” thread. Thank you to Marcus Bubbleman.
Miller & Gordon from Liverpool, and Associated Lead from Bootle. Regards, Ray Smyth.

JEM 205H.jpg

1056 KB Foden.jpg

Pic for Ray Smyth.

Article.

DEANB:
Pic for Ray Smyth.

I am grateful to Dean for sorting out the yellow Leyland Comet Artic picture, Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

DEANB:
An article about Liverpool.

Hi Dean, I have zoomed in on these Liverpool Dock Road pictures in order to read all the script, and I have noticed
that the ERF Grain Bulker artic is from the same company as the yellow Leyland Comet artic that you sorted out for me.
The name “Clarendo”, seen on the bulk trailer, and above the windscreen of the Leyland would have been a trade name
for one of the products of White, Tomkins, & Courage, one of many corn millers along the Dock Road. Another feature
of the Dock Road was the large number of pubs, and also many cafes. There were about 8 cafes spread over several
miles that were called “Stan Waters”. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Robsons of Carlisle once had a Scots Driver in the 60’s who lived in Kendal called Sandy Shanks ( a native of Lesmahago ) and all he did on the Trader 4 wheeler he drove was Liverpool Docks. But he was a Great Pub singer and apparently he was a Star turn at lunch times ,and evenings, in various boozers on the Dock road. Guess what, he never ever waited very long in queues it was a case " Robson lets have you Wack we need your goods stowing now" !! or words to that effect, never failed ! Sandy was a real “■■■■ head” and eventually got finished at Robsons and he got a start with a local Animal by products firm in Kendal as spare Driver. But one day on his way back from Carlisle he pulled into Stonebeck Arms just north of Penrith on the then A6 and got ■■■■■■■ he got pulled up in Shap village waving a bottle out the cab window and singing his ■■■■■■■ heed aff ! He spent the night in the cell at Shap Nick. Needless to say he got fired and eventually left Kendal and went back to L/magow. He used to have a wee bedsit behind a Green Grocers shop in Wildman St. Kendal, also owned by another Scotsman called Tommy ■■■■.

I know that this little vehicle is not a lorry, but it has a flat bed and wheels, and was built to carry goods.
During my days in Liverpool dock sheds in the 1960s, these B.E.V. electric trucks were a common sight.
I think the dockers referred to them as a Bogie, and for some reason they were almost always driven in
reverse, the docker stood on his little platform facing the rear of the truck. The controls were unusual,
On the footplate was a brake pedal which when pressed down, released the brakes so that the truck
could move, and to apply the brakes,the docker raised his foot. One of the hand levers was for forward
and reverse travel, the other lever was for steering left and right. The steering wheels were the ones
nearest to the driver. Dinky Toys made this one at their Binns Road factory in Liverpool.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

B.E.V..jpg

Bewick:
Robsons of Carlisle once had a Scots Driver in the 60’s who lived in Kendal called Sandy Shanks ( a native of Lesmahago ) and all he did on the Trader 4 wheeler he drove was Liverpool Docks. But he was a Great Pub singer and apparently he was a Star turn at lunch times ,and evenings, in various boozers on the Dock road. Guess what, he never ever waited very long in queues it was a case " Robson lets have you Wack we need your goods stowing now" !! or words to that effect, never failed ! Sandy was a real “■■■■ head” and eventually got finished at Robsons and he got a start with a local Animal by products firm in Kendal as spare Driver. But one day on his way back from Carlisle he pulled into Stonebeck Arms just north of Penrith on the then A6 and got ■■■■■■■ he got pulled up in Shap village waving a bottle out the cab window and singing his [zb] heed aff ! He spent the night in the cell at Shap Nick. Needless to say he got fired and eventually left Kendal and went back to L/magow. He used to have a wee bedsit behind a Green Grocers shop in Wildman St. Kendal, also owned by another Scotsman called Tommy ■■■■.

Ha ha the good old days … my dad told me that his dad and a few others were regulars down the east midlands and they would be delivering yarn to various sites but would leave the drivers mates to finish off the tipping and all meet up in a pub , the drivers mates would come back loaded with empties and no one was the wiser :wink:

For DEANB
A big thank you for posting the articles and pictures on this thread, it was what I hoped for when I started it.
Do you have any more like this please.
The Clarendo vehicle is one I am making into a model and it has cleared up the livery for me as I was told a pale lemon.
Thanks again.

Miller & Gordon AEC 8 Wheeler KKD 862 from about 1949, Loaded with cable drums.
British Insulated Callenders Cables had large factories not far away at Prescot and Leigh.
Photo courtesy of Bubbleman.

Miller & Gordon.jpg

Good one Ray,
Did Miller and Gordon only run loads of cable drumd full and empty.

xkopite:
Good one Ray,
Did Miller and Gordon only run loads of cable drumd full and empty.

Dave, Have a look higher up this page, another Miller & Gordon lorry, loaded with bales, Regards, Ray.

Ray
I hope you are well.
I forgot about that photo, Should have remembered.
Thanks
Dave

Ray Smyth:
I know that this little vehicle is not a lorry, but it has a flat bed and wheels, and was built to carry goods.
During my days in Liverpool dock sheds in the 1960s, these B.E.V. electric trucks were a common sight.
I think the dockers referred to them as a Bogie, and for some reason they were almost always driven in
reverse, the docker stood on his little platform facing the rear of the truck. The controls were unusual,
On the footplate was a brake pedal which when pressed down, released the brakes so that the truck
could move, and to apply the brakes,the docker raised his foot. One of the hand levers was for forward
and reverse travel, the other lever was for steering left and right. The steering wheels were the ones
nearest to the driver. Dinky Toys made this one at their Binns Road factory in Liverpool.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Royal Mail have hundreds of these Ray - they call them ‘Scuds’. One of the most frightening, yet hilarious things I’ve ever seen involved one of these at the new (now eight years old) Royal Mail NW RDC at Winwick. I was managing the project which installed all the IT infrastructure during the building refurb and part of it involved connecting scanners above all the new loading docks, which were having new levellers installed. While finishing the installations, they sent a Scud into the back of a trailer across the dock, and the leveller (on it’s own - and very unexpectedly) dropped while the Scud was in the trailer. When it came out, the driver didn’t notice the leveller had dropped, and he hit the end of it while still accelerating with a loaded cage behind him. The Scud hit the end of the concrete dock, stopped dead & tipped forwards, hurling the driver into the building - closely followed by the contents of the cage!!! A pal of mine still works there and reckons it wasn’t an isolated incident…