Bygone Hauliers

Hi Mick Hubbard…just seen this post by you…Dave Sibbons is Harry Sibbons son & im Daves daughter Sharon! just wondering how you know the firm etc as dad didn’t recognise your name? Il have to get dates etc but when H Sibbons LTD was running out of canningtown I think in the 20’s/30’s dad was running AEC’s, Seddon Atkinsons & ERF’s… but when he went on to run his smaller company later on that’s when he was running DAF’s…I can get more info if your interested…as for the Readers not sure what happened to the firm but I still keep in touch with Bernard Readers daughter,

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi All
Finally found the photo my Dad had, taken in Sibbons transport office am assuming Harry at the desk with my Dad standing, would have been late fifties early sixties don’t know the reason for the photo as I was only about five at the time.
Distant memories being passenger in FG Fodens and ERF KV’s, warming up around the coke stove in the workshop, and a vehicle reversing over a pit and falling into it, the cafe in montague road edmonton used to be a regular stop before heading north up windmill hill and the ridgeway Enfield and on to potters bar and beyond.
Funny the things you can remember from all those years ago, I now have trouble remembering where I went yesterday lol.
Chris.

I think that cream/green paint scheme used to be the industry standard as I remember the offices at the firm my dads drove for were the same colours.

Hi Mick,
There is a Crokerton thread on here (titled Crockerton Haulage, as usual Crokerton was spelt wrong) with some pictures, it’s been a while since there was any input to the thread so goodness knows what page its on. Talking about mispelling, were you with Crokerton when they issued the uniforms, blue trousers and jacket with Crockerton Haulage (note the spelling again!) aboce the left breast?

Rgds

Iain

Hi chris thanks for posting photo, I can remember the old stove, I used to go & clean some of the motors when I was little, I just loved being around the lorries!! Il ask my dad who was in the picture with your dad…any more memories of HSibbons would be appreciated!!
thanks, Sharon.

See these photo’s ages ago on here thanks to Steevo, just giving them an airing again.

sibbons pic 1.jpg

sibbons pic 2.jpg

OMG where is this lorry!!! Id love to know when & where this was taken…thank you for posting this!!
Sharon.

Bet that Mk3 was a beauty in it’s day.

truckersareus1:
OMG where is this lorry!!! Id love to know when & where this was taken…thank you for posting this!!
Sharon.

Problem is Sharon when was the photo originally taken it was probably sitting in someones photo album for years before it first appeared on here, try PM’ing “Steevo” he put the photo on here and may know more info.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Bet that Mk3 was a beauty in it’s day.

Hi there
Retired old ■■■■, how do you tell the difference between the MK3 and the MK5 which is what I thought it was.

Hi Guys, well I got my dad with me (dave sibbons) & the old motor in the picture is an AEC mammoth major mark 5!! It had a 590 engine with a 5 speed gear box… ratio of back axle 7:1 40 by 8 tyres!!

thanks Sharon.

trucky1955 I cant seem to find steevo! can you point me in the right direction please, cheers Sharon.

truckersareus1:
Hi Guys, well I got my dad with me (dave sibbons) & the old motor in the picture is an AEC mammoth major mark 5!! It had a 590 engine with a 5 speed gear box… ratio of back axle 7:1 40 by 8 tyres!!

thanks Sharon.

Of course it’s a bl**dy Mark 5!!!
Looks like I’m developing numerical dyslexia to go with my alzheimers. I’m falling apart, Doc.
Please accept my apologies.

truckersareus1:
trucky1955 I cant seem to find steevo! can you point me in the right direction please, cheers Sharon.

Here’s the page

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27272&p=882011#p882009

Retired Old ■■■■:

truckersareus1:

thanks Sharon.

Of course it’s a bl**dy Mark 5!!!
Looks like I’m developing numerical dyslexia to go with my alzheimers. I’m falling apart, Doc.
Please accept my apologies.

No worries R O F were all getting there lol.

R. o F.

Tut Tut, what next?

Bassman

Don’t YOU start! :wink:

R.O.F.

Would I now ? I’m in full support of our generation,we all have failings but even so some of us know a good motor (or the remains of one) when we see one.
I wouldn’t mind taking a Mk. V up the road now.Not too far though, I’m getting to prefer retirement.

Bassman

They were a lovely old thing in their day but I much prefer driving a pint or three of Banks’ Bitter.

Couldn’t agree more I’d spent my younger years in the passenger seat of many a Mk V and the Aki like the one in my avatar they had so much character OK not like the refinements you get in todays vehicles.