Bygone Hauliers

trucky

Do you think that in 20 or 30 years time trucks will be talked about in the same way as our generation talk of our memories of trucks with a bit of character.
A modern Volvo apart from the name on the front is much the same as a Scania or Iveco. Take the cabs off and thanks to modern legislation there is hardly any difference.

Is this where I reach for my tin hat?

Bassman

Bassman:
trucky

Do you think that in 20 or 30 years time trucks will be talked about in the same way as our generation talk of our memories of trucks with a bit of character.
A modern Volvo apart from the name on the front is much the same as a Scania or Iveco. Take the cabs off and thanks to modern legislation there is hardly any difference.

Is this where I reach for my tin hat?

Bassman

Probably not Mercedes Axor 2543 (present vehicle) must be one of the worst vehicles on the road with that so called auto box what a pile of crap that is with it’s dithery shall I change gear or drop into neutral just as you want to pull away.

Made for steering by idiots rather than driving by drivers, in my opinion.

Hi Mick,
The name rings a bell !!!1968 to 1973 thats when I worked for Joe. A few of us meet in the Joe Fagg Pop In Centre, Station Road Ashford on Friday mornings from about 10.30 untill about 1pm ish.
We chat about the good old bad old days, have lots of laughs, have a breakfast or just a drink in nice surroundings. The Pop in Centre is some thing that Joe set up for elderly and young people to have some where to go and meet up in the dry and warm, also available are a few services that Help the Aged UK oversee, lots of help and advice is available if needed.
If you are in the area on a Friday, drop in, you are sure to see a few old muckers there, of course the invitation is open to any other drivers from the firm, or other firms that we worked with during the life of ■■■■■ Fleet, 1947 upto about 1997 ish. Thats a very long time and we, the the few that meet up; are compiling what infomation we can, with a view to creating some sort of an archive for posterity. Best regards, Michael F.

Any one rember ■■■■■ Fleet from Ashford in Kent, their fleet were dark blue and always well turned out, think they mainly pulled for propriety perfumes, and Crokerton Haulage from Barking, I worked for them for a while. and Arther Kent, two tone green, mainly Thames Traders, the D series Fords, think they were from East Ham, and Caffins from South London, and Readers from Dagenham, there were so many small companies around in those days, and H Sibbons out of Silvertown, Dave Sibbons the Grandson of Harry opperated his own Daf up to some time in the 80’s, any one know where he is now? he was a realy nice bloke. seem to have forgotten more than I can remember

Readers sold there yard to put flats on and ray kent ended up in carpenters road e15 with a few cargos used to have a f86 and scania 80 was is southern road plastow for years all pulled down now and he packed in about 3 years ago crockertons packed up and the drivers all went alone under the cert banner