Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

pete smith:

I wonder if this little ERF of Ritsons had the Perkins 6:354 engine under the bonnet ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

pete smith:

I wonder if this little ERF of Ritsons had the Perkins 6:354 engine under the bonnet ? Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis, Its quite possible that it was a Perkins engine, Gardners were in short supply at this time IIRC,Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

pete smith:

Hi Dennis, Its quite possible that it was a Perkins engine, Gardners were in short supply at this time IIRC,Regards Larry.

Aye Larry ,lets get back to having a bit sensible “craic” about interesting posts and away from all the bollox the likes of “CF” try to bombard us with ! ■■■■■ like him have been know where and done even less eh! But my question still stands, did that l’al ERF have the Perkins engine OR mebe the 4 LK but don’t you go PM’ing that ■■■■ “CF” to find out ! Oh! no that isn’t allowed Marra ! :wink: :blush: Cheers Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

pete smith:

Aye Larry ,lets get back to having a bit sensible “craic” about interesting posts and away from all the bollox the likes of “CF” try to bombard us with ! [zb] like him have been know where and done even less eh! But my question still stands, did that l’al ERF have the Perkins engine OR mebe the 4 LK but don’t you go PM’ing that [zb] “CF” to find out ! Oh! no that isn’t allowed Marra ! :wink: :blush: Cheers Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dennis my friend I wouldnt dream of asking him for anything, As far as engines go he lives in cuckoo land to say the least,Im just having a malt or two just to relax me from all crap about Gardners that he spouts, Hope you & yours are keeping well, Regards Larry.

Yes we’re great Larry and I trust you and yours are the same ! We’ve just had a couple of bottles of NZ Savion blanc ( spelling not too good !) over dinner Great ! at a tenner a bottle it is far better than the Euro stuff although the Chilean wine is excellent also ! Regards Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

pete smith:

Aye Larry ,lets get back to having a bit sensible “craic” about interesting posts and away from all the bollox the likes of “CF” try to bombard us with ! [zb] like him have been know where and done even less eh! But my question still stands, did that l’al ERF have the Perkins engine OR mebe the 4 LK but don’t you go PM’ing that [zb] “CF” to find out ! Oh! no that isn’t allowed Marra ! :wink: :blush: Cheers Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Never fear I have had a private message from my Surrey friend, it apparently had a Detroit stroker fitted from new…

Many thanks Ray, I have not seen this JRT work horse before thanks for posting.
Interesting load as you say.
Cheers
Dave

This Sentinel Steam Wagon dates from about 1935. The steam wagons and ballast tractors and trailers
were frequently seen on the Dock Road in Liverpool until the early 60s. Regard, Ray Smyth.

United Africa.jpg

Hi Ray, another good piccy of the work horses on the dock road.
Cheers
Dave

I don’t know if this has been shown before but you used to see John Mason Removals all over the country,60’s, 70’s, 80’s.

liverpoolpicturebook.com/201 … ovals.html

Leyland Comet caption 9.jpg

Ray Smyth:
This Sentinel Steam Wagon dates from about 1935. The steam wagons and ballast tractors and trailers
were frequently seen on the Dock Road in Liverpool until the early 60s. Regard, Ray Smyth.

Hiya,
The old steamers that traveled along Strand Road from the docks
to Appleby’s Flour Mill were my “hanging on the back” transport to
and from school for most of my school years which were the war
years, O’h yes this was WW2 and not WW1
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

Ray Smyth:

Hiya,

We are glad that you cleared that up Harry as we are sure that you can’t remember much about The Boer war. :slight_smile:
P.S. we hope that you and the management are both well. :wink:

mushroomman:

harry_gill:

Ray Smyth:

Hiya,

We are glad that you cleared that up Harry as we are sure that you can’t remember much about The Boer war. :slight_smile:
P.S. we hope that you and the management are both well. :wink:

Hiya,
Yes "mushroomman"the Missus and Myself are quite well thank you,
by the way mate are you the mushroomman that used to park up at
Norman’s back in time I worked for Siddle C Cooks in those days and
there always seemed to be a mushroom motor staying there when I
was "in residence, this guy must have been cheesed off of me trying
to be funny and telling the driver "you haven’t left mushroom driver.

Hiya,

Not guilty me lud, I use the name mushroomman because my last driving job before I retired was for Queensland Mushrooms not far from Brisbane.
I have just noticed Harry that the photos that I put on page two of this thread via Photobucket of an old Hanson E.R.F. outside A.V. Crutchleys old place have now disappeared and gone for ever. :frowning:

mushroomman:
Hiya,

Not guilty me lud, I use the name mushroomman because my last driving job before I retired was for Queensland Mushrooms not far from Brisbane.
I have just noticed Harry that the photos that I put on page two of this thread via Photobucket of an old Hanson E.R.F. outside A.V. Crutchleys old place have now disappeared and gone for ever. :frowning:

Hiya,
Seemingly lots of pic contributors are complaining about the same
thing their pics just being taken off and in some cases many years
of work just erased, Bubblemans excellent work all gone, terrible,
PS When doing my bit as a scouser I lived only about 50 yards from
A V Crutchley’s yard they also had horses’n’carts in those days

harry_gill:

mushroomman:
Hiya,

Hiya,
Seemingly lots of pic contributors are complaining about the same
thing their pics just being taken off and in some cases many years
of work just erased, Bubblemans excellent work all gone, terrible,
PS When doing my bit as a scouser I lived only about 50 yards from
A V Crutchley’s yard they also had horses’n’carts in those days

Hiya,
Just a bit off topic “mushroomman” but my sister who at the moment
is staying with our sister in Cornwall, when well enough to travel will
be flying home to Bangalow which as you know is about an hour and
threequarters down the coast from Brisbane, bit of useless info.

Thanks mushroomman for posting Mason’s I have quite a few of this company’s vehicles, still nice to see them.

xkopite:
Hi Lads the ERF TRACTORS were green the farm vehicles were cream and green
Does anyone rember the Bibby ERF tractor with their 4 in line drags.

Can anyone confirm if they were green as I have seen some Austin bulk carriers in a light livery for Bibby,s also.

Both vehicles seen in black & white photo,s

I would like to know both livery colours if possible.

Hi jmather,
I have seen the Austin bulk carrier in B&W it does look a light colour maybe cream maybe similar to Spillers livery.

The Mersey Tunnel had several types of cleaners over the years.
Picture 1 is a roof cleaner, built on a Pagefield chassis by Walker Bros Engineering in Wigan.
Picture 2 is one of the many lady cleaners who cleaned the raised walkways and tiled sidewalls
throughout the entire length of the tunnel. Their only equipment was a mop and bucket.
They worked without any form of breathing apparatus…No Hi-Vis vest and hard hat in them days.

Regards, Ray Smyth.