Mersey Docks & Harbour Board Lorries

Hi lads,
Can anyone help with some pictures of MDHB lorries.
This is for a modelling project I will be trying to do if I can get some pics.
I have done some Liverpool Hauliers from the 1960’s to exhibit at a few shows.
Any help please.
Thanks

GOOD JOB IT IS THE LORRIES YOU WANT,AS FOR THE DOCKERS, WERE THE MOST LAZY BAST-RDS UNDER THE SUN WHO FU-KED EVERY LORRY DRIVER THAT EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO BE DELIVERING THERE AND WAS NOT LOCAL…I DO REMEMBER THE OLD IRON FAIRIES CRANES.

Hi,
Would like to see some of your Liverpool Haulier picturs please.
BTW, would you know what colour the lorries owned by the overhead railway wuld have been?

deckboypeggy:
GOOD JOB IT IS THE LORRIES YOU WANT,AS FOR THE DOCKERS, WERE THE MOST LAZY BAST-RDS UNDER THE SUN WHO FU-KED EVERY LORRY DRIVER THAT EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO BE DELIVERING THERE AND WAS NOT LOCAL…I DO REMEMBER THE OLD IRON FAIRIES CRANES.

I used to deliver Lister farm elevators all over the UK back in the 70’s,and Liverpool docks were my least favourite drop,they usually went into dock storage awaiting the ship to dock,the Ganger used to show me where he wanted it/them and leave me to it,very awkward bits of machinery to offload on your own,but it could be done,handball,with ropes and skids only,no such lift from a Rapier that was standing idle in the same shed…but ha,ho!!!

The good old days■■?

David

Loaded frozen peas there once. They were an insult to British Industry, 6 of them watched a 16yr old driver’s mate load (handball) the trailer and took the ■■■■ at every bag I moved. George Betts the driver swore he would rather leave than go back there. Great canteen though! Jim.
Sorry only bad memories. Shipped out to Belfast or Dublin many times, but don’t remember any shunters.

I cannot help with the actual lorries but I spotted this pic on Google Images, were the lorries painted the same as the locos perhaps? ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big … 1029-0.jpg

Pete.

deckboypeggy:

STOP SHOUTING. IT DOES MY EYE IN

I heard that they tried to take some photo,s but they did,nt come out because to everyones suprise one of the docker,s moved.

Hello Lads,
I can understand driver,s bitterness towards the docker,s and more than likely deserved your wrath, but my request has nothing to do with docker,s.
I would just like to get some info on the vehicles used by M.D.H.B.
As for the lad who asked about the L.O.R lorry I have been lead to believe it may have been light brown, not a 100% certain as the info not easy to come by.
Thanks again

YESok XKOPITE IDID understand your genuine request.sorry to hijack your request… however once liverpool docks are mentioned the old red flag appears ,and i would suspect not one word from any driver that endured their wrath of bone idleness, would support them…there done … i hope you get what you are looking for…

norfolk:
I heard that they tried to take some photo,s but they did,nt come out because to everyones suprise one of the docker,s moved.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s fine deckboy I totally understand how they cause ill feelings but not all Liverpudlians are like that.
You always get lazy bar stewards who seem to get jobs when other people deserve them.
Cheers mate.

I dont know why but I somehow have it in the back of my mind that the waggons were painted a light brown with black lettering, I cant say 100% that im right , but having being a drivers mate in the 60,s and loading/ unloading on L/pool / Birkenhead docks on almost a daily basis for some reason those colours come to mind.

Hi Norfolk,
Are you on about M.D.H.B. or L.O.R lorries
Ta

M.D.H.B

Never had any good memories of em …lazy bunch Jesus you had to walk like on eggshells or they f–ked off forever…

Greetings,All.
I agree about the Liverpool dockers too:We,on Union Cartage,used to load Frozen lambs in the Docks.They’d put a sort of a skip,full of lambs by the tailboard and, at the speed of light, F.O.When finished,approx 800 handball lambs later they would return looking like they’d done well loading.None of us,like all of you, had a good word for them. Regards,900x20. :frowning: :neutral_face:

I have one photo of a Vulcan lorry, just wanted to know if anyone had any photo’s of M.D.H.B. vehicles,
Ta lads.

We never had trouble attracting dockers due to the fact we used to deliver Whisky ( up to a 1000 cases at a time ), this was hand balled into a cage in the corner of the shed being a drivers mate one of your jobs while you unloaded was to make sure no "Rats " crawled under the waggon and assisted you unloading, they had some big rats in L/pool, however if from time to time a case ended up leaking and you filled their drinking bowl ( brew can ) with the contents you could use any equipment that the docks possessed ( forklifts, cranes, bogies ) to assist you in your work i.e. turning a trunk moter round. At the ripe old age of 15 during the lunch hour ( 11.15 to 13.30 ) I made a couple of shilling loading/ unloading waggons that didnt have the same facilities we had.