Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

Women were the best “operators” of these wee bogies ! I’m trying to wrack the old brain cell of where I was tipping one day years ago and there were umpteen of these things wizzing around all piloted by “the fairer ■■■” and they were ace at flying around the warehouse/ factory. It will come to me as to the location but at the moment zilch ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Women were the best “operators” of these wee bogies ! I’m trying to wrack the old brain cell of where I was tipping one day years ago and there were umpteen of these things wizzing around all piloted by “the fairer ■■■” and they were ace at flying around the warehouse/ factory. It will come to me as to the location but at the moment zilch ! Cheers Bewick.

Vickers Barrow in Furness had about a dozen of these bogies
They called the Lady,s that drove them bogie girls Ok

Leyland 680:

Bewick:

Vickers Barrow in Furness had about a dozen of these bogies
They called the Lady,s that drove them bogie girls Ok

Aye I’ve seen them Lasses running around the Yard ! You keeping a “low profile” or what Frank ? Cheers Dennis.

Bootle May Day Carnival in 1935, I cant identify the make of J.Langtons lorry.
I recall Langtons lorries in the 1960s, light to mid blue in colour.
Picture is courtesy of Peter Walsh, Ex Jarvis Robinson Transport HGV driver.
Click on the picture for the script.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

langton p1.jpg

Another old picture from Peter Walsh, Ex Jarvis Robinson Transport HGV Driver.
This picture is c.1956, a Foden lorry of F.Stephenson Ltd, Higher Lane, Fazakerley, Liverpool.
Frank Stephenson is stood beside his Foden. Click on the picture for the script. Ray Smyth.

Bootle Foden.jpg

This Liverpool Cartage AEC is parked on Regent Road, Liverpool, outside of one of the docks, North of the Pier Head.
The livery was Blue and Green. The trailer landing gear should have been wound up a bit higher.
The load on the trailer looks like a “Lancashire Flat” possibly for Ireland. I cant make out the names on the sheet.
The lorry at the rear is a Dennis, also belonging to Liverpool Cartage Co. Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray,
Some good photo’s, I liked the smart livery on the Liverpool Cartage.
Cheers
Dave

xkopite:
Hi Ray,
Some good photo’s, I liked the smart livery on the Liverpool Cartage.
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave, Tank you for your comments. Whilst I do like “Sharp” pictures in " Black & White",
I would have liked to have seen this picture in colour. Below the windscreen was midgreen,
above to the roofline was blue, and the cab roof was white, from memory Regards, Ray Smyth.

Not sure if this is old news but there’s an old 4 in line drawbar trailer parked on Prenton Industrial Estate im sure it’s been there years it’s in BRS red

R. Wright Ford D Series flat lorry, judging by the height of the headboard, this lorry may have
been used to carry trays and boxes of fruit and vegetables regularly. The “Central” phone numbers
on the cab door suggests to me that R. Wright were based in the Roe Street area of Liverpool,
which was the site of a Wholesale Fruit and Vegeteble Market, until well into the 1960s. Ray Smyth.

R. Wright.jpg

Arthur Wood Atkinson from Liverpool, The location looks very similar to Norfolk Street, Liverpool,
opposite the South Docks, where Guinness Exports had a bottling and canning factory for the
“Black Stuff” and also “Harp Lager”. Ray Smyth.

Porter Bros of Kings Dock, Liverpool were a major maker and supplier of Ships Flags,
Cotton Waste, and Cleaning Rags for Shipping Companies worldwide.
The cab doors on the nearest Seddon are hinged at the rear. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Porter Bros of Kings Dock, Liverpool were a major maker and supplier of Ships Flags,
Cotton Waste, and Cleaning Rags for Shipping Companies worldwide.
The cab doors on the nearest Seddon are hinged at the rear. Ray Smyth.

Hiya ,
Suicide doors,
thanks harry, long retired.

Hi Ray,
I posted the Porter bros piccy some time ago, I remember there premises on the dock road.
Any idea of livery for them please.
Cheers
Dave

This crossroads junction in Liverpool City Centre was known by some folk as “Holy Junction”,
because of the names of the four streets that met here. The stationary bus in the lower part
of the picture is at the bottom of LORD Street, The British Railways Austin artic and stepframe
trailer is about to enter WHITECHAPEL to the left, The Morris Oxford, Ford Consul, and the
Liverpool Corporation Leyland PD2 bus are held at the traffic lights at the end of CHURCH Street,
and the Austin A35 van has just entered PARADISE Street. The first department store, middle left
was Greenwoods, and at the top left corner of the picture was Hendersons department store, which
I believe was part of Harrods, and later House Of Fraser. I don’t know the date of the photo, but I
remember very well, a dreadful fire that occurred at Hendersons store in June 1960, in which
eleven people lost their lives. I have seen this picture many times, and only just noticed that there
are 2 men walking along the canopy of Hendersons store. Ray Smyth.

I have had closer look at the above picture, and I think that the 2 men on Hendersons canopy are Police Officers.
The Policeman on the left is wearing gaiters,which from memory, were worn by Police Motorcyclists when riding
Triumph " Speed Twin " Motocrycles. The officer on the right appears to be wearing a Bobbys Helmet.
Perhaps they were part of the investigation into the 1960 store fire. Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray,
I don’t think the canopy was in good shape after the debris fell on top of it.

The Garston Haulage Company was my family’s business.

As far as I know, the original GH was formed by my maternal great grandfather and his cousin, presumably named German. I assume that when they died the business was passed down to the Salt and German families equally.

The company was run by Charlie Salt (my great Uncle) and Alan German. Charlie did the maintenance and Alan the business side.

After the war when British Road Services was formed, Alan was employed by BRS in the office and Charlie in the workshop.

The government paid the two families in shares in BRS. Not surprisingly the shares lost value rapidly. Most family members sold their shares but my Grandmother Ines Oakley (nee Salt) kept her shares. She said the dividends paid for my Dad’s school uniform !

BRS was then denationalised. Charlie and Alan reformed GH and bought two vehicles from BRS, one of which turned out to be a former GH vehicle. My Dad remembers it well as he went with Charlie to see the vehicle!

The company grew for a time and increased in size but getting new business became increasingly difficult and they lost the Garston Bottleworks business when it ceased trading. GH was making little profit and my Dad recalls the final nail in the coffin was when a ROI company failed to pay what they owed. Alan and Charlie decided to fold GH. The vehicles were worth very little and GH did not own any premises, hence there was no value in GH.

I’m 44, my Dad is 76 - My Dad was born & bred above a shop on Brodie Avenue - His earliest recollection of premises was in St Mary’s Road Garston, close to the baths, prior to being nationalised.

After being reformed it operated from Parliament St (where I would go to play on Saturday mornings as my Great Uncle worked on the trucks) and then from premises in Garston… have forgotten the name… on a business estate beyond Window Lane.

I now runs Vans, mostly involved in Music Touring, and sub out anything too big for me. Would appreciate any other pictures of any Garston Haulage trucks if anyone has any. The guy in the above photo was called ■■■■ Chamberlain.

Thanks

Chris Oakley

Walker Bros Engineering at Wigan built this Pagefield refuse lorry in the
1930s for Liverpool Corporation Cleansing Department. The swapbody,
after being lowered to the ground was horse drawn.

The second picture is an earlier horse drawn refuse cart, which when full
would be winched on to the Pagefield lorry, and be emptied at the dump.

Liverpool Daily Post & Echo delivery vans waiting to load at Crosshall Street in Liverpool City Centre.
The van on the right, CLV 250, will be from 1937. My Dad had a Ford “Y” model car, Reg. No. CLV 415.
I think the vans may be of Morris manufacture, not quite sure. Picture is from Xkopite Dave.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

Liverpool Echo.jpg