J&R Adams Newcastle

IMG_0759.JPG

J R Adams Ltd Their MOT Building at Swalwell. Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

A question for the “knowledgeable” was the Marathon grille actually a Kysor Rad shutter ? I’ve often wondered if this was the case . Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis, I will consult Adams,s Fleet engineer, Who has worked for them since he left school, Davy James he learned the hard way if I may say so, He worked under the supervision of the late Geordie Thomas, A man of many tallents, He was the fitter at Adams when their depot was at Byker, They then moved to Fisher Street at Walker into a brand new depot with warehousing etc., Regards Larry.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

A question for the “knowledgeable” was the Marathon grille actually a Kysor Rad shutter ? I’ve often wondered if this was the case . Cheers Bewick.

Think you mean Crusader Dennis.
Colin.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Yes Dennis, the Crusader (a mechanically sound alternative to the Marathon!) had a Kysor rad shutter (and Dynair fan).

ERF-NGC-European:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Yes Dennis, the Crusader (a mechanically sound alternative to the Marathon!) had a Kysor rad shutter (and Dynair fan).

There was NOTHING WRONG with the Marathon driveline mechanically…after all it had your favourite Fuller gearbox, and in your opinion that’s all that matters.

gingerfold:

ERF-NGC-European:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

There was NOTHING WRONG with the Marathon driveline mechanically…after all it had your favourite Fuller gearbox, and in your opinion that’s all that matters.

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with the Marathon driveline. I have never criticised the Marathon, not having driven one. I would have loved to have driven one. I merely quoted Commercial Motor in stating it was one of Leyland group’s sound alternatives. If you gave me the choice of either to drive to Gibraltar and back, I’d probably have to toss a coin! :slight_smile: PS I’ve driven Acking F***ktrosses to Gib and back and I’d happily take even a Marathon Mk 1 than that ■■■■ thing! :laughing:

colinwallace1:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Think you mean Crusader Dennis.
Colin.

Yes I did mean Crusader Col ! :blush: Cheers Dennis.

ERF-NGC-European:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Interesting ! I had Kysor shutters on the first three Atky’s then I decided that the Dynair was the better fitment so the Atkys/ERF’s and the single Seddon 32/4 Cu 220 got the Dynairs fitted from new. Cheers Dennis.

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with the Marathon driveline. I have never criticised the Marathon, not having driven one. I would have loved to have driven one. I merely quoted Commercial Motor in stating it was one of Leyland group’s sound alternatives. If you gave me the choice of either to drive to Gibraltar and back, I’d probably have to toss a coin! :slight_smile: PS I’ve driven Acking F***ktrosses to Gib and back and I’d happily take even a Marathon Mk 1 than that ■■■■ thing! :laughing:
[/quote]
Apology made Robert… :blush: :blush: A lot of the faults that the Marathon Mark 1 was criticised for, i.e. riding characteristics, apply to the Actros to this very day. Even Leyland eventually corrected most of those faults with the Mark 2 Marathon in 1977… Mercedes are still playing catch-up 40 years later.

Regarding the Kysor Shutters I prefered them, IMO They kept a lot of flys out of the rad, Regards Larry.