George King

I enjoy reading about old haulage companies who have been around many years, in particular have enjoyed reading Dennis Smiths jottings about Bewick and ■■■■■■■ in particular.

However I have become confused recently, is Georges aim purely to antagonise Dennis or is he here to gain Brownie points for Eddie Stobart as his latest posts seem to praise the great man.

But these threads have made me have second thoughts! :confused:

Bewick:

georgeking:

Bewick:
When I joined Brady’s in Barrow-in-Furness as a teenage trailer mate I underwent a weeks induction in the class room under the keen eye of Jackies right hand man “Glassey”.I was given full instruction on all legal matters regarding safe coupling and un-coupling of the trailer and also permitted hours of work as well as making sure that there was no over loading of the vehicle/trailer and that full observance of speed limits were observed at all times. At the end of the induction period we were issued with our “made to measure” tailored uniform and taught the "Company verse " which from memory was this ---- "We loads all day and drives at night and do repairs on Sunday! The only thanks you’ll ever get (off Jackie) is “Son” get a “flyer” Monday !!! Bewick.

Brady was put out of business after losing a contract to Stobart, did you ever have any dealing with Stobart?

georgeking:

yungnad:
more so when they done pat hornsbys and fisons, by the time all the work had turned to chapel bank fearons was john irvings and they stuck with tankers and containers, and theres another name squeak o,neil, irvings bought his tankers,
got nice photo of a thames trader of his with a old mmb body converted to carry steel drums 3 rows high standing,
and theres another name batemans, they used to sub whey powder out of the dairy, there was a daltons used to come to bothel for whey powder, they had commers with single axle trailers, but they were about 38 long for carrying aluminium, we could only put 10 ton on, and heres another one, ike teasdale, i was loading out a yard on the a5 just past daventry turning, and the boss man recognised my accent, and asked if i knew ike,“corse a deu,”, well he said he use to work a firm that was clearing their yard, and they had 3 old erfs and a shed of parts, ike came and took the lot, the guy was wondering if ike ever repaired the wagons,? yep i reckon so,
fearons used to run coke breeze and clinker from glass houghton to marchon, it was a daily slog for ■■■■■■■■■■ h & l , fearons, jr graham, he had a nice atki twin steer on that job, fearons had a couple of 86s and h & l had erfs some of them jazzers old ones and guys, a couple of them had rolls royce engines, they could fly on that job,(dont mention the dennis artics they had).

What a pity it is all about Stobart now.

This is not a dig, but I thought George was an Eddie Stobart Fan, and some of his older threads suggest I am incorrect. Or is it the fact that you like the new but not the original company George?

Wheel Nut:
I enjoy reading about old haulage companies who have been around many years, in particular have enjoyed reading Dennis Smiths jottings about Bewick and ■■■■■■■ in particular.

However I have become confused recently, is Georges aim purely to antagonise Dennis or is he here to gain Brownie points for Eddie Stobart as his latest posts seem to praise the great man.

Bewick:

georgeking:

Bewick:
When I joined Brady’s in Barrow-in-Furness as a teenage trailer mate I underwent a weeks induction in the class room under the keen eye of Jackies right hand man “Glassey”.I was given full instruction on all legal matters regarding safe coupling and un-coupling of the trailer and also permitted hours of work as well as making sure that there was no over loading of the vehicle/trailer and that full observance of speed limits were observed at all times. At the end of the induction period we were issued with our “made to measure” tailored uniform and taught the "Company verse " which from memory was this ---- "We loads all day and drives at night and do repairs on Sunday! The only thanks you’ll ever get (off Jackie) is “Son” get a “flyer” Monday !!! Bewick.

Brady was put out of business after losing a contract to Stobart, did you ever have any dealing with Stobart?

georgeking:

yungnad:
more so when they done pat hornsbys and fisons, by the time all the work had turned to chapel bank fearons was john irvings and they stuck with tankers and containers, and theres another name squeak o,neil, irvings bought his tankers,
got nice photo of a thames trader of his with a old mmb body converted to carry steel drums 3 rows high standing,
and theres another name batemans, they used to sub whey powder out of the dairy, there was a daltons used to come to bothel for whey powder, they had commers with single axle trailers, but they were about 38 long for carrying aluminium, we could only put 10 ton on, and heres another one, ike teasdale, i was loading out a yard on the a5 just past daventry turning, and the boss man recognised my accent, and asked if i knew ike,“corse a deu,”, well he said he use to work a firm that was clearing their yard, and they had 3 old erfs and a shed of parts, ike came and took the lot, the guy was wondering if ike ever repaired the wagons,? yep i reckon so,
fearons used to run coke breeze and clinker from glass houghton to marchon, it was a daily slog for ■■■■■■■■■■ h & l , fearons, jr graham, he had a nice atki twin steer on that job, fearons had a couple of 86s and h & l had erfs some of them jazzers old ones and guys, a couple of them had rolls royce engines, they could fly on that job,(dont mention the dennis artics they had).

This is not a dig, but I thought George was an Eddie Stobart Fan, and some of his older threads suggest I am incorrect. Or is it the fact that you like the new but not the original company George?

No sweat “wheelnut” George is only after the managers job at Stobart Air Southend so a bit of “greasing up” may not go amiss! But if they get Ryanair to move from Stansted I wouldn’t envy being the manager at Southend as Mr.O’leary will be more than a match for the Fast Eddie crew.Being a Marra born and bred its in “Georges” DNA to be antagonistic and ask "pointed and loaded"questions.and being similarly bred myself it just runs of my back same as the proverbial duck! quack,quack! Bewick.

Bewick:

Wheel Nut:

Bewick:

georgeking:

Bewick:

georgeking:

yungnad:

No sweat “wheelnut” George is only after the managers job at Stobart Air Southend so a bit of “greasing up” may not go amiss! But if they get Ryanair to move from Stansted I wouldn’t envy being the manager at Southend as Mr.O’leary will be more than a match for the Fast Eddie crew.Being a Marra born and bred its in “Georges” DNA to be antagonistic and ask "pointed and loaded"questions.and being similarly bred myself it just runs of my back same as the proverbial duck! quack,quack! Bewick.

Alas Dennis you are not the first person to make me out to be an idiot!

Wheel Nut:

Bewick:

georgeking:

Bewick:

georgeking:

yungnad:

Dennis knows my background etc I won’t go into on here. I greatly admire what Stobart have achieved (sorry if I offend anyone) however it is sad that so many other companies from ■■■■■■■ are no longer in business.

georgeking:
Dennis knows my background etc I won’t go into on here. I greatly admire what Stobart have achieved (sorry if I offend anyone) however it is sad that so many other companies from ■■■■■■■ are no longer in business.

Certainly no offence taken George, it is just a forum with many different view points, that what makes it exciting. I preferred things when Tom Smith with 5 or 6 lorries did the work out the feed mill in t’village and lads who drove em were related to the gaffa or each other.

On a thread a long way from this one is Simon Gibson from Newbald in East Yorkshire, a little village with a long heritage of small hauliers, relatives and family friends, many known by 3 generations of drivers. They reckon there were 60 haulage companies or owner drivers leaving Newbald on a Monday morning :open_mouth: