Im sure this will get some comments

IRELAND’S SMOKING BAN

Europe’s toughest anti-smoking legislation comes into force in Ireland at midnight Sunday.

Lighting up will be outlawed in all pubs, restaurants and workplaces - including the CABS OF LORRIES

neil46:
IRELAND’S SMOKING BAN

Europe’s toughest anti-smoking legislation comes into force in Ireland at midnight Sunday.

Lighting up will be outlawed in all pubs, restaurants and workplaces - including the CABS OF LORRIES

The anti-everything let’s-[zb]-up-the-world brigade have clearly been hard at work again; I hope they’re proud of themselves. Pity they’ve got nothing else better to do :imp: AND I’M A NON-SMOKER :open_mouth:

As the ban in trucks is conected to work place smoking bans will they be subject to this ban when not in Ireland & will forign work places, i.e. non Irish registerd trucks be subject to this law when in Ireland ?.

We in New York have had this stupid law for a year now and about 30% of bars have gone bust, was this not warning for the Irish :question:

As for non smoking in truck cabs, that is dictatorship, no one is going to tell me what to do when I’m on my own. :angry:

Pat Hasler:
As for non smoking in truck cabs, that is dictatorship, no one is going to tell me what to do when I’m on my own. :angry:

Exactly. Well said Pat :angry:

As for not smoking in cabs if you are on your own & the only driver of that vehicle then I think it’s a load of carp,But if you work with a non-smoker ie home deliveries,abnormal loads,bin wagons etc then I think it is a good idea.
When I worked on an agency I drove a bin wagon for sita and if there was a non-smoker then nobody else could smoke in the cab but if they were all smokers it was fine.
Taking the subject a little further I feel it is right to ban smoking in public places.The usual argument from the pro smokers is that they have the “right” to smoke but I wonder how they would feel if heroin addicts felt they had the right to go around jabbing people with their used needles,thats the same thing as breathing in poisonus fumes from a smoker to a non-smoker.

I was on a first date with a young lady and we were in a restaurant in the non-smoking section when a “gentleman” lit up a cigar on the table next to us.
I politley asked if he wouldn’t mind putting it out pointing out he was in the no smoking section.He refused saying he had “the right to smoke where-ever he liked”
so I replied “does that mean we have to put up with your waste product ie the smoke”
he said “yes”
at which point I said “thats fine because I have just had somthing to eat & drink and you obviously wont mind putting up with my waste product over you then”
thats when the manager stepped in and the girl walked out!

There aint any shortage of PC garbage and thats a fact! I’ll do what I want in my cab, they make me sick bloody tin hitlers, its do-gooding gone mad. Anyway, I’ll stop smoking if they ban the burning of all fossil fuels, cars, lorries, aircraft, power stations, oh yeah, my rollups real dangerous! Burning fuel in massive ammounts that puts all types of ■■■■ into the air wherever anybody is! but of course, that dont count does it! Barmy, thats all it is to my mind. Its just like having bleeding health and safety rules on a battlefield!

Mal.

Mal …you may not believe this but there are Health and Safety rules in a battle field. :exclamation: :exclamation:

Usually based on types of land mines and what to do if you find yourself in a mine field. Spent time in Banja Luka, Pristina and the Falklands that was the first thing the MOD tell you about.

Any way I am a non smoker and if I go in a pub I expect to smokers to be there having a beer and a smoke. If the smoke annoys me I can move . If I am talking to some one who smokes then I have chosen to breathe in their smoke. We are becomming too much of a “Nanny State” these days. Next thing to be outlawed will be ■■■■■■■ in public :exclamation: :exclamation:

God help us all if that happens.

Mal:
There aint any shortage of PC garbage and thats a fact! I’ll do what I want in my cab, they make me sick bloody tin hitlers, its do-gooding gone mad. Anyway, I’ll stop smoking if they ban the burning of all fossil fuels, cars, lorries, aircraft, power stations, oh yeah, my rollups real dangerous! Burning fuel in massive ammounts that puts all types of [zb] into the air wherever anybody is! but of course, that dont count does it! Barmy, thats all it is to my mind. Its just like having bleeding health and safety rules on a battlefield!

Mal.

and…

Colingl:
Any way I am a non smoker and if I go in a pub I expect smokers to be there having a beer and a smoke. If the smoke annoys me I can move . If I am talking to some one who smokes then I have chosen to breathe in their smoke. We are becomming too much of a “Nanny State” these days. Next thing to be outlawed will be ■■■■■■■ in public

Both you guys DEFINITELY[/b] get my vote :exclamation:

Colingl:
Mal …you may not believe this but there are Health and Safety rules in a battle field. :exclamation: :exclamation:

We are becomming too much of a “Nanny State” these days. Next thing to be outlawed will be ■■■■■■■ in public :exclamation: :exclamation:

Jesus Col! I am amazed, thats the craziest thing I ever heard :open_mouth: war, dangerous! never!

Fair play to you mate, Im a live and let live type, and its as you say, a nanny state gone mental, stuff it, Im going to live somewhere dangerous and free! Well, I would if er’ indoors would wear it, Im sick as a pig with all this rules and regs ■■■■■■■■!

Mal.

Mal don’t forget rules are meant to be broken :smiling_imp:

in this country the government raise an estimated £5,000,000,000,000 in duty on alcohol and cigarettes a year .
if all smokers were to stop smoking tomorrow , then the government would have to raise the lost revenue from somewhere else.
we all know where that would come from , dont we . :smiling_imp:

a total smoking ban in public places has been talked about in york for a few years now , but as pat said , look what as happened in places where such a ban is in place.

i smoke , but respect the wishes of others and will not smoke in their cars , homes etc.

bigandy:
in this country the government raise an estimated £5,000,000,000,000 in duty on alcohol and cigarettes a year .
if all smokers were to stop smoking tomorrow , then the government would have to raise the lost revenue from somewhere else.
we all know where that would come from dont we . :smiling_imp:

probably from the money we’d save in the national health service :wink:

We in New York have had this stupid law for a year now and about 30% of bars have gone bust, was this not warning for the Irish

can anyone actually see an Irish bar going burst :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

probably from the money we’d save in the national health service

fair argument nsh

north surrey haulage:

bigandy:
we all know where that would come from dont we . :smiling_imp:

probably from the money we’d save in the national health service :wink:

Thats crazy!!!
UK smokers pay for the Health service! its a known fact that even ASH agree that Tax income from tobacco in this counrty is greater than the total spend on the Health Service!!

Id like to see the figures that get bandied about re the NHS, I’ll bet that the books balance as the Critic says, with a load more being raked in from smokers and drinkers than they ever cost, I’ll bet they subsidise the NHS to an extent! In my opinion, the MP’s just toady to the lobbies, and the anti this and that brigade win, because they are the loudest and most energetic in getting in the lobby and getting what they want.

Mal.

Of course smokers and drinkers pay for the NHS :exclamation: :exclamation: Of course MPs toady :exclamation: Thats thier job ! There good for [zb] all else :exclamation:

An election is looming in the next 18 months or so. Your elected MP is your best friend :exclamation: :exclamation:

AYE RIGHT SO THEY ARE :laughing: :laughing:

smokers and drinkers pay for the nhs thats great
so
road tax pays for the roads
national insurance pays for our retirement
vat pays for our customs & excise service
council tax pays for our fire/police/refuse etc services
congestion charging pays for our public transport system
that leaves income tax to pay for education

so tell me again why do we pay fuel duty?

smokers and drinkers pay for the nhs thats great
so
road tax pays for the roads
national insurance pays for our retirement
vat pays for our customs & excise service
council tax pays for our fire/police/refuse etc services
congestion charging pays for our public transport system
that leaves income tax to pay for education

so tell me again why do we pay fuel duty?

unfortunatly it does not work like that.
what about the money for the armed forces , the civil servants who sit on their arse all day moaning they do not get paid enough . this list will go on and on i’m sure but does not escape the fact that the powers that be will not be happy until smoking is banned ( let alone everything which is bad for you )
as said , income from duty more than pays for the nhs ( which in my opion is a bottomless pit to throw money into )
it will not only be buissneses {sp) that will be affected but also the knock on effect to suppliers as well .