Smoking Ban

Thats going to put the cat among the pigeons!

On the news it was announced that the new smoking ban in Scotland starts this week!

Anyone caught smoking in a public place can be fined up to £3600

Ouch :exclamation:

It will be down here soon,

Thats not quite true!

Scotlands ministers are having a debate on Wednesday to decide on a ban

More news here

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3989807.stm

A interesting point regarding smoking bans, in Ireland where they had banned smoking

He said: “There are 23 million fewer pints being sold in Ireland since the ban came in in March, we know that businesses are down 20 to 25%.”

Thats a lot of beer! because of that, for my money it will never work!

TC:
A interesting point regarding smoking bans, in Ireland where they had banned smoking

He said: “There are 23 million fewer pints being sold in Ireland since the ban came in in March, we know that businesses are down 20 to 25%.”

Thats a lot of beer! because of that, for my money it will never work!

One point has it as a result reduced drink driving ? as that sounds like a real possibility.
I’m not a smoker but it does look like a spin could be put onto this kind of press release which could give the anti brigade extra evidence for the benifits of a smoking ban.

We have the smoking ban in New York… the loss of business revenue hasn’t had any effect on changing the law here, and I doubt it will there either. Bars around here are empty on a saturday night. We don’t bother going anymore.

From Empire Information Center
Survey Report

– 34 percent of New York City bars, hotels and nightclubs surveyed have reduced staff since the smoking ban took effect, by an average of 16 percent. 74 percent of those establishments identified the smoking ban as the cause of the reduction in staffing.

– 76 percent of bars and nightclubs across the state have experienced a decline in customers since the smoking ban was enacted, by an average of 30 percent. 78 percent of businesses surveyed said that the smoking ban had a negative impact on their businesses.

it’s not happened yet in pubs and clubs,but it will come in.what did happen this weekend was a ban of smoking with in murryfield rugby ground,during the game with australia,out of all the complaints that the sru got this was the highest on their list people saying that it spoilt their enjoyment of the game :wink: