Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Morning Buzzer,
I think a lot of people would have wanted to know that, great bit of history, kids today are not interested, shame rearly.
Les, not heard of him for years, how about Derick Coombs, did you ever have any dealings with him, great fitter in his day, Harvey

HRS:
Morning Buzzer,
I think a lot of people would have wanted to know that, great bit of history, kids today are not interested, shame rearly.
Les, not heard of him for years, how about Derick Coombs, did you ever have any dealings with him, great fitter in his day, Harvey

Harvey do you mean Dave Coombes from Salisbury ? he started out as an apprentice with Unit Commercials who were the Scania dealership in Salisbury and they also had a place in the West country, then yes I did he serviced and looked after my Scania 110 in West Quay road in TIP’s yard, he had a makeshift shack by Star car transporters as he also looked after Dennis Whites Trucks mainly F86’s then F7’s later on and later on he moved to Coates gravel pit near Landford he had a blue Commer cob van back then but good all round mechanic.
While we are on the subject of blast from the past do you remember Paul Steven’s AKA Truckserve, we gave him a nickname by the way Fxxk Truck he was a bit like Mr Kipling either exceedingly good or absolutely useless hence the name, a lot of people never new what FT stood for and I have known Paul along time I think when Bjorn Bourg was winning his third Wimbledon title so many moons ago, his man came and fixed my pickup tipper gear yesterday but he is semi retired and does not a lot now. Most people would know him as the night heater bloke as he fitted and serviced loads of them back in the day when Southampton was buzzing with International hauliers and owner drivers alike but that’s all gone now. all this Mary Hopkins stuff in one go help I am getting old, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Aha mikey1964 not a lot of people know that but it does go back along way but if you cast your mind back when BT had an advertising campaign using Maureen Lipman’s voice she had a crazy bird in the ad called Buzby who was always on the phone and as that was the case for me coz back then I never had computers and the like as today the telephone was the main connector with your business clients, now I cannot remember who gave me the name but got a feeling it was Les Slater of LS commercials who looked after the trucks in the early days, he only had one line to his business and I was always hogging it so he had a second line put in so his customers could get hold of him and that’s how it was that I was to become Buzzer or Buzby. In the early days I had a MK1 ■■■■■■ van and Buzby the bird was emblazoned on the bonnet.
Later on we gave lots of drivers nick names that stuck and they still have them till this day even if they still dont work for us anymore and sadly some are no longer with us but there nick names live on, hope that clears that up for you or any one else that wondered how it came about, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer, I see that now and remember the adverts and Miss Lipman saying how good it was her grandson had an “ology”. Cheers for the explanation as now all clear. As for your nipper dropping the PGS sadly its the way of the world and some customers are too high brow I guess especially the cruise ship work, we had to wear shirt and tie to go on board and see the supply officer in the 90’s when at Macscot so a fat pig on the motors these days might need some explanation I guess. I miss it on the trucks but you do have a really smart fleet with subtle signage so maybe it was for the best.

You know its one of yours from afar even before you see the name, do miss the old square Globetrotters too.

“Yep” its an age thing. David, known to all as Dave Coombs.
I was at Unit Commercials at the same time and learned a lot from David.
At my interview for the first sales job, Ian Andrews said, you can drive ok (part of the job back then) but you dont know much about Scania’s, sorry.
I said, Give me a chance with 3 months in the workshop and if you still feel the same way I will go, but if I pass your test i get the job. you get a cheap fitter for 3 months.
For your Fg cheek you can have a go then. 6 weeks later he said here are the car keys, price list, go and sell me some Fg trucks.
It was down to Dave that I learned enough and he reported that to Ian, never forget that.
Good times. Harvey

Evening Buzzer

Well it’s certainly making up for our recent dry spell, a reet thunder storm going on at the moment but it was much needed so hopefully it will make the grass grow. Most of the stock is now out just some August calvers left in, so it’s cleaning sheds out and spraying which are this weekends jobs. Loaded up for Scotch on monday finishing near Buckie so that should keep us going till dinner :wink:

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20180601_008.jpg

WP_20180601_001.jpg

WP_20180530_005.jpg

WP_20180529_001.jpg

Wrighty good to see you back on the thread after your well earned break on holiday, must admit I did expect a shot or two of your travels. How you getting on with your knew trailer and have you had a load of straw on her yet ?. The other thing I wondered is do your company put another driver on the truck while you are away. As for the new trailer my boys inform me they have ordered ten new fridges from Chereau as the other ones are ten year old and that does not seem possible how time flies, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Wrighty good to see you back on the thread after your well earned break on holiday, must admit I did expect a shot or two of your travels. How you getting on with your knew trailer and have you had a load of straw on her yet ?. The other thing I wondered is do your company put another driver on the truck while you are away. As for the new trailer my boys inform me they have ordered ten new fridges from Chereau as the other ones are ten year old and that does not seem possible how time flies, cheers Buzzer.

Morning Buzzer

Yes the trailer is good, getting used to loading it now but there isn’t as many lashing points as my old one but were managing. Haven’t had a load of straw on yet so that will be interesting the first time, my only criticism is the paint which is very soft, backing that big tractor on and the front tyres pulled paint off aroud the lashing points which isn’t a promising start but we will see.
As for holiday snaps there weren’t many, we had a very relaxing week around the pool and only ventured out for food and ale.
When we are on holiday the only one who drives the motors is Colin the boss, and I think he was out most days on mine doing local runs so that is a bonus when you don’t have to empty all your gear out, something we had to do everyweek at Bargh’s.

Your fleet will look well with new trailers although the one’s you are running now still look very tidy, they certainly dont look 10 yrs old are there any plans to upgrade the units in the near future…?

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20180521_007.jpg

Looking a bit murky there mate, was like that ere but the sun soon burnt that off. Ready here to cut grass just looking for the 5 to 6 day window of good weather and we are off then we can get some aftermath for the steers to follow on too.
Nice your boss drives ur truck when you are away and like you say you aint got to take all your kit out which is a fair bit when you are away all week, cheers Buzzer

Went over the ex’s place other week

Nice evening for a cruise!!
F4E21534-33D8-4CE0-A976-3214A4B22390.jpeg

Buzzer:
Another eventful day at the holding at first I loaded my pickup with FYM for a chap just down the road anyway got it on and off I go find where it needs to be tipped and the bloody thing would not work, spent and hour looking at fuses and various wiring but no joy so that can stay on till I get an electrician to sort it.

This week we have had a chap clean all the block paving round the mansion house which took him two days but there is about half an acre of it, he came back today to put the kiln dried sand in with his Mrs helping but it looks good and the Boss is pleased with it.

Walked round the grass last night and its nearly time to get mower out just need five clear days of sun and we are off with that job, the steers that are out look really good and contented with plenty of grass for them to munch.

Finally we used to have this little Pig motif on the doors of the trucks but my nipper stopped putting them on a while back and we had uproar from the drivers, the PGS bit stood for porky git squadren and JD was obviously me, shame its not still on but its not my decision any more, cheers Buzzer.

Stop press I’ve heard a rumour that the pig might be making a comeback??

A few in at Tracy Island the other weekend
04FE28BD-D85F-4B76-96B0-18D885A7151E.jpeg
7DD0CCDB-9071-4906-A328-293BE31DFAA1.jpeg
823811DB-BEBA-4C4A-8F23-0214D35321BC.jpeg

Start of a good trip for me swap trls & off I go to Croatia!! First time for me but as you all know was a regular destination a few years ago when JD was at the helm at least I didn’t have to dodge bullets!!
A2AD3752-6FE1-460D-8321-D8C7B2105C87.jpeg

Pole position on train again long may it continue

Our truck, pilot Roger Limburn, tipped North of Stockholm then R/L Sweden for Germany then R/L Hamburg and Holland for the UK that’s how a proper International company rolls, multi inter country service, cheers Buzzer

34258513_1790619204361794_255365763144089600_o (4).jpg

Buzzer:
Our truck, pilot Roger Limburn, tipped North of Stockholm then R/L Sweden for Germany then R/L Hamburg and Holland for the UK that’s how a proper International company rolls, multi inter country service, cheers Buzzer

Nice one buzzer! were north of Stockholm? Just wonder cos i live just north of stockholm :smiley:

Danne

Sorry Dan don’t know exact location but will try and find out. Hospital today 9.30 appointment for an ultrasound on a hernia and two x ray’s one on me knee which was kicked by a steer and both hips as they bin giving me grief lately, cant complain in and out in an hour which is just as well as the parking charges are bloody dear, walk round cattle this afternoon and finish with a haircut which I pay for with sausages, cheers Buzzer.

Was it V77? Spotted today near Kolding heading direction D, a nice sight gelling on!

short walk:
Was it V77? Spotted today near Kolding heading direction D, a nice sight gelling on!

Yes mate uncle Dodge longest serving driver & oldest too!!

German-Austrian border for the night had last ■■■■■■■■■■■■,was left for a reason a bit tight but we managed with a little help from a couple of Taliban watching me in so they not all bad■■?