Looking for pictures of

Mr MJM:
Ron drove a few trucks at MJM but the two main ones were EGV 118Y - a white 142 6x2 rear lift on air ex Holland and then ‘The Beast’ which was the Danish blue & white 142 on air. It was named the beast because its reg was B666 ETW. Ron started off doing Italy for us and then went on to do a bit of Spain before leaving to go to Birds. When we bought B666 we liked the paint scheme so much it went on to be the fleet colours.

A few other names who were there at the time;

Sid Crow
Dave Capewell (went to Birds)
Alan Jewkes
Bob Tolley
Bob Moseley
Trevor Evans
Peter Walker (went on to run a pub)
Dennis Compton (went on to be an owner driver for Tarmac)
Steve Tolley
Phil Lewis
Kenny ‘me mon’ Mundon - RIP - but what a star
Adrian Street
Angus Robertson

I could list more

Does anybody recall these guys and more to the point does anybody know what these guys are doing now.

I knew a few of your lads 85 / 95 I worked for Hays Chemicals running Barcelona, from memory there was Sid who carried out repairs at the side of the road, Trevor Evans, Black Bob and the lad who was killed on the A34 many others but a long time ago now, I remember giving Martin a lift back from Claudes at St Genis he had gone down for some repair or other, back then I was known as Frank The Tank, I you used to run back empty with the tank but still hazardous as it was not cleaned and used to wind people up telling that my backload was contaminated Glider Fuel (Dirty Air) some people believed me at times.

Dave s:
The very same one!!

He had the van company for a few years but sold it for various reasons. Then went back to Bird’s !!

I remember the MJM motor - if i recall a tag axled 141?

I remember running back from Spain with Ron after loading water melons and the bottom boxes collapsing on my load and having a fair old bulge, fair play to him he ran behind me all the way to the ferry, i was driving for Mick Lambert at the time. While we were on our way back we got talking about the Middle East and it turns out our paths had crossed then while i was working for Malc Hillage

request from a newbie!!

Fabulous forum, thanks to everyone for all the fantastic pics and anecdotes.

Has anyone any pictures of trucks from:

RK Crisp
Harrison International (operated from Brierley Hill if I recall)
Lloyds of Birmingham
Caerphilly Van Hire (CVH)

All these my old man (Ronnie Slater) drove for during the 70’s and 80’s in between driving for Bird’s and various other companies!

many thanks in advance :smiley:

Is that the same Ronnie who was on MJM? , If it was I was friendly with him ,he left MJM to start a van hire company

The very same one!!

He had the van company for a few years but sold it for various reasons. Then went back to Bird’s !!

I remember the MJM motor - if i recall a tag axled 141?

Dave ,
There is an MJM thread futher down the page , Your Dad is mentioned there and Montanaman was on MJM the same time as your Dad and Sid.

Just spoke to the old man brought the names brought back a few memories for him!

My memory is not so good it was a tag axled 142!

Ron drove a few trucks at MJM but the two main ones were EGV 118Y - a white 142 6x2 rear lift on air ex Holland and then ‘The Beast’ which was the Danish blue & white 142 on air. It was named the beast because its reg was B666 ETW. Ron started off doing Italy for us and then went on to do a bit of Spain before leaving to go to Birds. When we bought B666 we liked the paint scheme so much it went on to be the fleet colours.

A few other names who were there at the time;

Sid Crow
Dave Capewell (went to Birds)
Alan Jewkes
Bob Tolley
Bob Moseley
Trevor Evans
Peter Walker (went on to run a pub)
Dennis Compton (went on to be an owner driver for Tarmac)
Steve Tolley
Phil Lewis
Kenny ‘me mon’ Mundon - RIP - but what a star
Adrian Street
Angus Robertson

I could list more

Does anybody recall these guys and more to the point does anybody know what these guys are doing now.

A couple of other characters as well

Mark Watson
Jimmy Cox
Bob Ryder

All early MJM boys who don’t seem to have popped up on the radar in a long time

Unfortunately Jimmy Cox passed away a few days ago. RIP

Dave s:
…All these my old man (Ronnie Slater) drove for during the 70’s and 80’s in between driving for Bird’s and various other companies!

Dave

Dave Harris, ex Birds, sends his regards to your dad.

Thanks Kate, I’ll pass on his regards

Dave s:
request from a newbie!!

Fabulous forum, thanks to everyone for all the fantastic pics and anecdotes.

Has anyone any pictures of trucks from:

RK Crisp
Harrison International (operated from Brierley Hill if I recall)
Lloyds of Birmingham
Caerphilly Van Hire (CVH)

All these my old man (Ronnie Slater) drove for during the 70’s and 80’s in between driving for Bird’s and various other companies!

many thanks in advance :smiley:

Hi Dave, info on C.V.H.,

Ask Ron to look at Page 2 on this B.B. ANY INFO ON THIS LOT ■■?
Posted by K.W. on Sat 8th March .

Have a look at picture 9 E309ENK your Dad might know something about this truck.

Also look at the bottom 2 comments on this page.

And if M.and C. Jamie is reading this, was Little Alfie Jones the Welsh guy who had a great singing voice and used to recite poetry.?