Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
Buzzer it’s also handy for low bridges :blush: :blush: :laughing: ,when I turn up at farms for a machine or tractor some of these wise old wurzels :laughing: think I’ve come with a flat bed and have got the hump before I’ve even got out the cab !

Seeing you in the cab Dan’l is enough to give anyone the “hump” :wink: Just think how I felt when I saw you in the Atky cab last Sunday ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: and I’m no wurrzel ! a [zb] maybe but not a Wurzzel ! :wink:
With you telling me the tag axle on the Foden was fixed I recall that we ran both fixed pusher axles on FL10’s and steered pushers on Scanias and there was nothing to choose between them for tyre wear. We also ran a good number of Scanias with tag axles which were fixed. I also recall that the first “add on” pusher axles that appeared in the UK for the first time were Italian Cesci axles. From what I gather from pals that tried them they were a right swine to manually lock into fixed positon for reversing but unless they were locked you couldn’t reverse. Cheers Denz’l

Denz’l my Dad bought an axle self steering on casters from Italy and put it under his ford D1000 ■■■■■■■ powered V8 .

That would sound about the right era Dan’l so I would think your Dad had one of the Cesci axles. The firm nearest to us that had a couple was called G. E. Moore from Carnforth and they were fitted on Dennis 4 wheeler tippers. Never fancied one on the D1000 I ran :wink: Cheers Denz’l.

Buzzer, i see that Shaftesbury market is shutting down now. Its a shame when the live stock markets shut
i used to go to the one at Sturminster Newton when we were kids.The closure of Shaftesbury means that
there are no live stock markets left in Dorset according to the news. :frowning:

Dean Shaftsbury market is going to become a Lidl super market if rumours are correct, it was not a big market but more and more today cattle and the like are sold on the internet which I have used recently and there is no commission either which can equate to £30 per head, shame but that’s progress as they say, Buzzer.

147459.jpg

300 pages of Farming Tips and photos of a fleet of Fridge motors still keeping the flag flying abroad.
A huge “Well done” so far and looking forward to the next 300+. Jim.

300 pages Buzzer well done, a daily read for me. The “housemaid’s knee” thingy, is that the same leg as the gash :question: doesn’t look good, as a youth helping out on farms, the store cattle were wintered inside in stalls tethered a pair to a stall with trough and hay rack, one of the jobs I hated was going up between them to feed and bed them. Take it easy, old 'uns take longer to heal :slight_smile:
Oily

Evening Buzzer

Looks like you’ve had a nasty knock there and having been on the recieving end of plenty myself I can understand your discomfort. Congratulations on reaching 300 pages a great thread and long may it continue, a mix of trucking and farming what could be better…
Finally got mi trailer on Tuesday so getting used to it, but it seems good to use and certainly looks better than mi old en.
Roll on Saturday Alice and misen are jetting off to Portugal for a week of rest and recouperation, getting ready for it after a long and testing lambing.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20180516_020.jpg

WP_20180516_009.jpg

WP_20180516_023.jpg

Nice trailer wrighty ,I like the thought of having something new .

Look at you wi a new bi of kit there Wrighty and as Dan says always nice to get your hands on summit no one else has messed with. Talking of new kit I understand from me oldest son that he has placed an order for ten new Chereau fridges not to come all at once but reasonably rapid, they are to replace existing from the same maker which are now in there tenth year but to look at em you would not think so summit that my sons have carried on after I left to keep things tidy and in the end you get less bother, its the same with tyres match them across an axle has always been my philosophy and I do believe it has paid dividends over the years.

Glad to see you are having a well earned break mate as you and Alice deserve to get away, me never been away as the Boss is a bit of a home bird and just loves her garden and she still works four days a week to keep things in fine fettle with the finances. That week will fly by and you will be back at it before you know it and then it wont be long afore you get started on the haylage once more although we are going to be praying for a bit of rain soon to keep things growing as us down here have had a long dry spell of late.

As for the going through the 300 page barrier I suppose it is quite summit but as others have said it is a good mix a bit of farming and trucks all in the same pages and followers of this thread seem to like that, always happening on here and we got the North/South thing going on to boot so long may it continue and while we are on that subject thanks to all those who contribute to make it such variety and long may it continue, cheers Buzzer.

PS. Typing this at some unearthly hour as me knee is giving me gyp so got up for a cup of tea.

Buzzer:
Dean Shaftsbury market is going to become a Lidl super market if rumours are correct, it was not a big market but more and more today cattle and the like are sold on the internet which I have used recently and there is no commission either which can equate to £30 per head, shame but that’s progress as they say, Buzzer.

Well done Buzzer on reaching 300 pages ! :laughing: Good stuff on here. :wink:

Re the live stock markets and buying online 30.00 a head soon adds up to alot of money,so you can see
how that will become popular. Mind you i would imagine its nice to see the animals in the flesh when
buying.

Wrighty,hope you have a good holiday chap i reckon you deserve a break as you always seem to
be on the go ! :wink:

Hi all how is the knee busser it look’s painful.This is my contribution to this years country file. :stuck_out_tongue:

IMG_1198.JPG

gerbil sb152:
Hi all how is the knee busser it look’s painful.This is my contribution to this years country file. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mate they look too close to the wall IMHO but you may prove me wrong, as for the knee it is sore but i can walk its more painful in bed trying to find the right position, went to the Doc’s today just to check as a mate who helped me litter up today saw it and said he had a friend who had summit wrong with his foot got gangreen and it killed him so got it looked at, she gave me some gel to take the pain out and reduce the swelling and got to see her again nex week so should be ok, cheers Buzzer.

Hi buzzer i think you could be right looking at them again might move them over only plant a couple of hours ago so should be ok. kep’t them close to the wall to try to protect them from the wind.We think the bloody dog has just burnt her tongue licking fat off the bbq. There is always something with animals. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Hi buzzer i think you could be right looking at them again might move them over only plant a couple of hours ago so should be ok. kep’t them close to the wall to try to protect them from the wind.We think the bloody dog has just burnt her tongue licking fat off the bbq. There is always something with animals. :sunglasses:

Morning gerbil sb152
A little smear of mustard in the early days could keep the dog away, not on a plant of course. Harvey

Morning Buzzer,
82 year old friend just out of Hospital after a bull gave him a nudge against the wall. Only a rough graze but Sepsis set in, so good you had it looked at quickly.
As we get older blood disorders are common.
Well done on the 300 pages, long may it continue. Harvey

Harvey the bruising has really come out now and I have to go back Thursday just for the doc to look again, not a lot of pain I have to say but the bruising has traveled down the leg now but I am applying pain relief gel prescribed, so GEL on in the Davies tradition. On the cattle front checked the cattle on the marsh yesterday and they all look fine and the rest go out on Tuesday or Wednesday after we have wormed them.
In the garden every thing is going along nicely just got to earth up the spuds talking of which I bought some new Cornish this week and they are excellent far better than the Jersey’s as they just aint like they used to be, someone told me its because they are not allowed to use seaweed any more stopped by the tree huggers but not sure if that is correct or not but they aint how I remember them 30 years ago and it wont be long before we get the Pembroke’s in they are also very good. No one wants to here this but we could do with a good rain now to spur every thing on but here we either get one or the other don’t we.
Got an old couple coming for Sunday lunch tomorrow from where I used to drive me horses from in the New Forest and we are having home produced pork with Cornish taters, Spanish carrot’s , beans from Kenya and local cauliflower with local grown Strawberries for afters with Jersey cream from about 3 mile away so quite a varied selection.
Looking forward now to cutting grass and making haylage ready for the winter but soon as we want to that we will get the rain but we must GEL on eh, cheers Buzzer.

PS. as for the 300 page mark thanks to one of our 90’s drivers Paul Who for starting it.

Thank you for the acknowledgement John, but this post has many contributors I have never meet.
Still a good read 300 pages on. Seeing it is close to hay making I spotted this at a local hotel.
MG_1802.JPG[/attachment]

IMG_1801.JPG
Bet you used to work one of theses.
Have a look at the horse in the background , I’ll try and post a picture of it.

IMG_1799.JPG

The horse was made with cogs and gear rings, and the sheep put together with old spark plugs, even Wee Jock couldn’t kill that sheep.

Buzzer:
Harvey the bruising has really come out now and I have to go back Thursday just for the doc to look again, not a lot of pain I have to say but the bruising has traveled down the leg now but I am applying pain relief gel prescribed, so GEL on in the Davies tradition. On the cattle front checked the cattle on the marsh yesterday and they all look fine and the rest go out on Tuesday or Wednesday after we have wormed them.
In the garden every thing is going along nicely just got to earth up the spuds talking of which I bought some new Cornish this week and they are excellent far better than the Jersey’s as they just aint like they used to be, someone told me its because they are not allowed to use seaweed any more stopped by the tree huggers but not sure if that is correct or not but they aint how I remember them 30 years ago and it wont be long before we get the Pembroke’s in they are also very good. No one wants to here this but we could do with a good rain now to spur every thing on but here we either get one or the other don’t we.
Got an old couple coming for Sunday lunch tomorrow from where I used to drive me horses from in the New Forest and we are having home produced pork with Cornish taters, Spanish carrot’s , beans from Kenya and local cauliflower with local grown Strawberries for afters with Jersey cream from about 3 mile away so quite a varied selection.
Looking forward now to cutting grass and making haylage ready for the winter but soon as we want to that we will get the rain but we must GEL on eh, cheers Buzzer.

PS. as for the 300 page mark thanks to one of our 90’s drivers Paul Who for starting it.

Hi John,

Hope you and The Boss are keeping well and your leg is on the mend. Was that Ernie in the photo with you ?

Regards
Richard

Richard that chap in the picture was a general farm hand working for all local farmers his name was Ray Stride in my teens I worked with him fencing and the like, had guests for lunch today and after they had departed and the washing up were done me and the Boss went to check the cattle on the marsh and boy what a lovely place they have to spend the summer as the pictures show then home quick cup of tea and earth the spuds up, a bit overdue with that job but its done now.

Photo1021.jpg

Photo1019.jpg

Photo1020.jpg

Evening all as dodg once said a Mary Hopkins moment there see I’m catching on with the lingo on here but better at putting up pics lol
Was parked minding my own business t’other evening when company appeared
13566359-75BA-4378-893D-99C626AB329B.jpeg