Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Its all starting to happen arround me now John.
These two youngsters with there first calfs just arrived in the field to day. Cant believe how much they have grown since Sept last year before they went home for the winter. Harvey

Harvey never liked cattle with head ornaments especially with young calves at foot and in the market they usually make less money to boot. My mate came today and we managed to get the bean fences up and seeping water pipes installed but then the sun got the better of us so transplanting of French climbers and runners planned for tomorrow now, my back is killing me so I was pleased to call it a day and sit and have a cup of tea in the shade and a nice roast lamb dinner to follow, cheers Buzzer

Photo1010.jpg

Morning John,
Yes I agree with you on the horns, makes it a little tricky getting them in the crush for jagging etc but Robert loves to see them.
He is a full time contractor and because he knows so many farmers he has about 40 head scattered about, obviously does not need any sleep, just loves it.
Q: You must have a very understanding local builder re the fencing, have you aproached Asda yet as a supplier. ha !! Harvey

HRS:
Morning John,
Yes I agree with you on the horns, makes it a little tricky getting them in the crush for jagging etc but Robert loves to see them.
He is a full time contractor and because he knows so many farmers he has about 40 head scattered about, obviously does not need any sleep, just loves it.
Q: You must have a very understanding local builder re the fencing, have you aproached Asda yet as a supplier. ha !! Harvey

Harvey grew 360lbs last year and sold the lot at the door or surplus to a fruit and veg man i know, pick em young and tender and you cant go wrong and those heras fence panels are ideal for the job and had em several years now mate, Buzzer

The Heras fence looks better with the bean plants in but sooo hot doing that job today but in now thank goodness, Buzzer

Photo1011.jpg

This is all a poor old ex truck salesman can afford John, :blush: Harvey

Buzzer:
The Heras fence looks better with the bean plants in but sooo hot doing that job today but in now thank goodness, Buzzer

You dont mess about when you grow Buzzer,thats a proper job ! :wink:

When a jobs worth doing, its worth doing well

All the veg plot planted now, last 20 seed spuds went in last night and today planted a double row of beetroot and waiting for the rain forecast for tonight, gentle showers for five or six hours will do the trick. Had a new trailer feeder delivered today with a retractable drawbar for use in the barn next winter, as well I mowed the lawns and paths before the wet arrives, Salisbury yesterday but not too much there that I wanted and still too dear, cheers Buzzer.

Frome market today but not a lot there, plenty of first cut silage on me way down though and some of the fields get cut four times, Salisbury Tuesday and try once more Buzzer.

Morning Buzzer

Well the weather up here has certainly improved and the grass has started to grow, a bit of rain last night and sunny again this morning just what was needed. Spent yesterday marking sheep and lambs out of the fields so we can start and grow some crop, we have turned some heifers out as our silage has about run out so the rest will be following shortly.
Busy on the work front with straw and concrete panels, and my new trailer has finally arrived in the yard so hopefully will have it on the road this week.

Cheers wrighty.

WP_20180502_013.jpg

Wrighty agriculture is such a finicky thing and as we both know if the weather is with you it makes a whole lot of difference with a little rain at night and sunshine all day the cattle turned out makes for an easier life, the steers I got at home that go out in the paddocks by day have just come in to a freshly littered bed and a new bale of haylage in the feeder but they are in there all laying down chewing the cud so must be full up with doctor green.
Me and me mate got to work in the greenhouse and planted up the yellow cherry tomato plants plus four cucumber plants in pots, we were nine short so I will be getting those tomorrow to finish the job off, then it will be just the watering and cropping. We like the cherry yellow’s as they are gob size and sweet as you like and we can buy local red toms cheap as chips.
The fox came last night and had a chicken that must have been shut out at closing time and I still got the trap set but they are canny critters and not easy to catch but I will keep on trying and maybe get him in the end, cheers Buzzer.

Let the bigger steers into more new grass, they have been contained in about a seven acre field at first but have got used to being outside and calmed down a bit. They know where the water is which is harvested of a barn roof. Finished off planting the toms int greenhouse and have caned them all and the Boss has administered water, cheers Buzzer

Photo1013 (2).jpg

image.jpeg955 international

image.jpegkomatsu 80

Dan that is so handy loading at near ground level and a lot safer I would imagine, today at Salisbury market I purchased 11 Sim X steers but while loading one of the beggars kicked me right on the knee and by golly it smarts, at first it felled me and another kind chap helped me load as my right hand man is on his hols in Devon. Now it has swelled up like the size of a grapefruit but I still had to struggle washing out the truck as you cant leave it as cow muck sticks like glue if it starts to dry, anyways did that then put me leg up with a bag of frozen peas on it to damp the swelling but bet it will be stiff tomorrow for sure, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer it’s also handy for low bridges :blush: :blush: :laughing: ,when I turn up at farms for a machine or tractor some of these wise old wurzels :laughing: think I’ve come with a flat bed and have got the hump before I’ve even got out the cab !

Punchy Dan:
Buzzer it’s also handy for low bridges :blush: :blush: :laughing: ,when I turn up at farms for a machine or tractor some of these wise old wurzels :laughing: think I’ve come with a flat bed and have got the hump before I’ve even got out the cab !

Seeing you in the cab Dan’l is enough to give anyone the “hump” :wink: Just think how I felt when I saw you in the Atky cab last Sunday ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: and I’m no wurrzel ! a ■■■■ maybe but not a Wurzzel ! :wink:
With you telling me the tag axle on the Foden was fixed I recall that we ran both fixed pusher axles on FL10’s and steered pushers on Scanias and there was nothing to choose between them for tyre wear. We also ran a good number of Scanias with tag axles which were fixed. I also recall that the first “add on” pusher axles that appeared in the UK for the first time were Italian Cesci axles. From what I gather from pals that tried them they were a right swine to manually lock into fixed positon for reversing but unless they were locked you couldn’t reverse. Cheers Denz’l

Buzzer:
Dan that is so handy loading at near ground level and a lot safer I would imagine, today at Salisbury market I purchased 11 Sim X steers but while loading one of the beggars kicked me right on the knee and by golly it smarts, at first it felled me and another kind chap helped me load as my right hand man is on his hols in Devon. Now it has swelled up like the size of a grapefruit but I still had to struggle washing out the truck as you cant leave it as cow muck sticks like glue if it starts to dry, anyways did that then put me leg up with a bag of frozen peas on it to damp the swelling but bet it will be stiff tomorrow for sure, cheers Buzzer.

That looks very 'ucking sore Buzzer ! Hope its not too serious though ! You’ll just have to get “The Boss” to push you around in the muck barrow ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Seeing you in the cab Dan’l is enough to give anyone the “hump” :wink: Just think how I felt when I saw you in the Atky cab last Sunday ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: and I’m no wurrzel ! a [zb] maybe but not a Wurzzel ! :wink:
With you telling me the tag axle on the Foden was fixed I recall that we ran both fixed pusher axles on FL10’s and steered pushers on Scanias and there was nothing to choose between them for tyre wear. We also ran a good number of Scanias with tag axles which were fixed. I also recall that the first “add on” pusher axles that appeared in the UK for the first time were Italian Cesci axles. From what I gather from pals that tried them they were a right swine to manually lock into fixed positon for reversing but unless they were locked you couldn’t reverse. Cheers Denz’l

Denz’l my Dad bought an axle self steering on casters from Italy and put it under his ford D1000 ■■■■■■■ powered V8 .