Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Gotta love the German traffic it’s worse than the uk?? Messed up my day a bit but never mind managed to get parked ok at a very nice restaurant lol
E459578A-F5E6-4334-BB2E-682B9C2A82A2.jpeg
424ABDB1-6BE3-4F9D-8751-3E556DF0C19C.jpeg

Buzzer:
Harvey just testing your white cells about this axle setup in the picture below, sure I have seen it on an A.E.Stuart cattle truck from near Exeter. Do you know if this is factory or a modified version, would be good for weight distribution I would have thought, cheers Buzzer.

I recall Langdons down at Taunton used to run a rigid in this configuration.

Buzzer:
Harvey just testing your white cells about this axle setup in the picture below, sure I have seen it on an A.E.Stuart cattle truck from near Exeter. Do you know if this is factory or a modified version, would be good for weight distribution I would have thought, cheers Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer,
A lot of them up in my area ( near wrighty) on animal feed.
Mainly Volvo & Scania . Carrs Billington from Carlisle and Lancaster.
Dugdales from Clitheroe have 1 Volvo and a lot of Scanias rear lift and steering axle.

Cheers Malc.

Thanks for the input on the rigid Volvos chaps amazing what comes out the woodwork, anyways a bit brighter weather so far this week and the harrow is mounted on the tractor ready but when I went to inspect the ground conditions I found the grass has grown far too much for harrowing so a roll is in order before it dries out too much but going to level where the wintered cattle were round the feeder first.
Salisbury market today and bid on six Sim steers but they went on up too high for me so home MT and will try again in Frome on Friday having sold all the Angus I bought two weeks ago and made a little profit to boot so will be able to have a small bit of cheese with me crust of bread, cheers Buzzer

Hi Buzzer,
Dugdales from Clitheroe have 1 Volvo and a lot of Scanias rear lift and steering axle.

Hello Malc,
Would you know if it is factory build ■■ or local fabricator, looks the part eh !!!
Turning circle was measured by placing the steer axle tyre alongside the curb, then full lock as you pulled away and when you came to what would be the curb opposite, that was the turning circle known as “curb to curb”. so im’e thinking this set up has to do with manoverability perhaps. would be nice to know the GVW.
The ones i have shown were factory spec for the old 4 metre ruling but even with restrictions on type approval some got into the UK, "till MOT time"perhaps. Harvey

TheBear:

Buzzer:

I recall Langdons down at Taunton used to run a rigid in this configuration.

Yes operated by Graham Walker, Partridges from Exeter area had a similar one on cattle transport, maybe the same one as in the above photos? They were conversions as opposed to factory build but can’t remember who made them, such things readily available off the peg these days of course.

HRS:
Hi Buzzer,

Hello Malc,
Would you know if it is factory build ■■ or local fabricator, looks the part eh !!!
Turning circle was measured by placing the steer axle tyre alongside the curb, then full lock as you pulled away and when you came to what would be the curb opposite, that was the turning circle known as “curb to curb”. so im’e thinking this set up has to do with manoverability perhaps. would be nice to know the GVW.
The ones i have shown were factory spec for the old 4 metre ruling but even with restrictions on type approval some got into the UK, "till MOT time"perhaps. Harvey

Hi Harvey,
As Shortwalk as just posted all the ones i see around the A65 area are factory specced mainly
Scania and Volvo but i have seen other major makes.
Cheers Malc.

Not being a fan of most politicians I found this explanation very true to form and suspect a lot of you will agree, Buzzer.

PS. did a bit of rolling on 6 & 1/2 acres today in the sunshine, grass too long to harrow and fertilizer on at the week end then a spray to kill the docks all go better late than never

Hi Harvey,
As Shortwalk as just posted all the ones i see around the A65 area are factory specced mainly
Cheers Malc.
[/quote]
Morning Malc,
Could the convertion company be, “Granning”. Harvey

HRS:
Hi Harvey,
Cheers Malc.

Morning Malc,
[/quote]
Harvey I had two Volvo’s converted in the early 80’s with Granning rear lift axles by Hartshorn in Birmingham an F89 & an F12, we were pulling SCAC trailers out of Portsmouth and the frogs only had tandem axle trailers back then and were just moving into triaxles. In 1983 the weight went up to 38 tons and the next day there were 10 or so SCAC trailers with 23 ton on board and no tri units to pull them so we had to act fast, at first they took a few pallets of a trailer then someone had a milk round delivering all the odds. Paid off in the end as we were very busy boys and when you look back we were earning well compared with today, IIRC the conversions cost about £2900 a go so not too expensive, cheers Buzzer.

HRS:
Hi Harvey,
Cheers Malc.

Morning Malc,
[/quote]
Hi Harvey,
No definitely factory built.Not to say that no outside conversions are done i have
only seen factory built ones.
Cheers Malc.

Hi Buzzer, & Davies team,
going on P&O Cruise from Malta in 2 weeks will we see the Davies Fleet stocking up the ships supplies on route around the Med, last time we saw most of the Davies Fleet in Venice stocking up the Ocean Village cruise ship, cheers Alan.

noddy360:
going on P&O Cruise from Malta in 2 weeks will we see the Davies Fleet stocking up the ships supplies on route around the Med, last time we saw most of the Davies Fleet in Venice stocking up the Ocean Village cruise ship, cheers Alan.

Sorry noddy360 we lost that job as usual someone undercut us but not by the odd £50 but about £500 but that’s how it is nowadays and when we worked it out the job was not that good as you cant miss a ship in port so lots of the trailers were loaded with a couple of days to spare so that cost as well, its being done by Bluewater I believe from Denmark so how they work on short notice like we did heaven’s knows. They got let down once and phoned us and I think the boys quoted them double what they used to pay before on a take it or leave it basis, what goes round comes round and sometimes it bites, cheers Buzzer.

One of our old F88’s in its afterlife not looking so bonny as when we ran it, ex Ken Chant RIP ACG 824R was an ex tyre company truck from Brighton IIRC and was ziebarted from new and the cab was rock solid, same as another F88 ex Bowyers GFC that was solid as well, good old Mary Hopkins days when you had a Volvo F88 you thought you were the real deal, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
One of our old F88’s in its afterlife not looking so bonny as when we ran it, ex Ken Chant RIP ACG 824R was an ex tyre company truck from Brighton IIRC and was ziebarted from new and the cab was rock solid, same as another F88 ex Bowyers GFC that was solid as well, good old Mary Hopkins days when you had a Volvo F88 you thought you were the real deal, cheers Buzzer.

Great looking trucks Buzzer in your best colour scheme ! :laughing: :wink:

DEANB:

Buzzer:

Great looking trucks Buzzer in your best colour scheme ! :laughing: :wink:

John, you were the real deal when you ran an F88, however, Ziebart !!! what a bl…dy awfull mess that was.
I remember delivering some 8x4 tippers to Mr West at Winchester council with Ziebart and the fitters nearly walked out, ( my sugestion of going up a socket sise did not help ) :blush: Harvey

Buzzer:

noddy360:

Sorry noddy360 we lost that job as usual someone undercut us but not by the odd £50 but about £500 but that’s how it is nowadays and when we worked it out the job was not that good as you cant miss a ship in port so lots of the trailers were loaded with a couple of days to spare so that cost as well, its being done by Bluewater I believe from Denmark so how they work on short notice like we did heaven’s knows. They got let down once and phoned us and I think the boys quoted them double what they used to pay before on a take it or leave it basis, what goes round comes round and sometimes it bites, cheers Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer,
sorry about the contract loss , i will keep a look out to see who is doing the ships supplies , i will let you know after the cruise, cheers Alan.

Buzzer:

noddy360:

Ah Buzzer, it was ever thus!

Even in my Dad’s day, 1930s - nationalisation, late forties, when road transport was a lot more restricted, and A licences were worth £1,000, which was a lot then, he told me that they would have an RHA meeting, where everyone would nod sagely and agree not to undercut, when the meeting was over, the more unscrupulous would use the information gained to offer better rates.

As ever, the only way is to promise, and deliver, premium service - and if the bean counters have dislodged the entrepreneurs who built the business… time to move on or sell up!

John.

Sorry to hear of your contract loss but unfortunately it does happen but as you say “what goes around usually comes around”. I recall quoting for a decent contract once where the base price I quoted was £750,000 per year and Wincanton came in with £500,000 !! The firm I was dealing with were flabbergasted to the extent that they quoted me the Wincanton numbers ( not to get me to “compete” you understand!) So I told them that either Wincanton weren’t paying for their fuel, which they would be. Or they wern’t paying their drivers, which they would be, Or they would be using beat up old equipment from other contracts , which they did. What a shambles the contract turned out to be with this shower, it obviously cost Wincanton mega bucks and the Customer couldn’t wait to get rid of them after the three years was up ! We got the contract next time around and by that time the price was £850,000 for the base price, but they got the service they expected. As we delivered 3 or 4 loads of product per week during the 3 years Wincanton had the distribution contract we could see what a right ■■■■■■■ mess they were making ! ■■■■■■■ ! Cheers Dennis.