Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Hi Dean B, thanks for posting a very rare picture of WCG, Buzzer was indeed correct, it was driver by Terry Sparrow rip, ex Pall Europe. IIRC did not have it too long.
Terry ordinarily did STS or Robert Armstrong wine tanks with it.
Dad you were right, it is WHO 498V sister truck to Ian Lawson with the engine trouble.
FT got a tow by a copper in a Range Rover through the Shockley lights when it went bang.

Hockley lights bloomin iPhone!!

mappo:
Paul Nichols was with us when pulling the Chingford trailers Buzzer.
I know you did a spell in this one too…got pics somewhere of the two of us in Spain…

Copied this pic from page 1 of this thread…

Those Globetrotters were a good looking truck,and definately your best colour scheme ! :wink:

DEAN nearly every one says about the two tone blue with red chassis was definitely my favoured colour scheme but it cost a lot to paint and now things have moved on with factory white cabs and sticky tape.
Well we seem to have a bit of a bean fest here and it took two & a half hours to pick em, 20lb of runners & 19lb of French and we eat them six days out of seven, the rest I sell from the door but me green grocer is taking 25lb tomorrow to help me out.

Your’s is a green harvest Buzzer, here’s an up to date old style golden one at Highbridge Farm, Eastleigh. Mostly barley and a lot of dock.
Oily

Farm Highbridge Farm Hampshire cr Anguskirk cc by nc nd 2.0 4901610611_45454b4c72_ako.jpg

oiltreader:
Your’s is a green harvest Buzzer, here’s an up to date old style golden one at Highbridge Farm, Eastleigh. Mostly barley and a lot of dock.
Oily

Oily wont be any of that going on today, we had forecast of a down pour and at 7pm we had a shower that would not even dampen the dust proper so I watered me beans as usual but we later had a lot of flash lightning and then it came, must have been torrential as my concrete pad is washed of like new and evidence of over flowing gutters, rather have a nice steady fall and let it penetrate the ground and we have more to come but we need it, cheers Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

Well it’s certainly raining up ere tonight not much of a thunderstorm but it’s very wet, been busy today tipping machinery at Builth Wells ready for the royal welsh show next week. Loaded up near Evesham on my way up scotch tomorrow, four drops starting in Perth and finishing at Forres then loading out of Inverurie on Friday.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170713_002.jpg

WP_20170714_002.jpg

Evening all bumped into this stranger today not seen him for a while back doing a bit for Davies’s some of you may recognise him

A couple more as we parted
IMG_9592.JPG

No telehoist, just good old graft, two pitchforks and able bodies up to the builder, or maybe a donkey engine elevator.
Oily

Haymaking_time_-_geograph.org.uk_Tim Jones cc by sa 2.0 -_TJ 129513.jpg

Oily done plenty of that but wayback now mostly big bales nowadays done with a machine but that’s a nice picture anyways. Been busy bean picking as they keep on coming and at least we are getting some rain now which we sorely needed, cheers Buzzer.

Forgot to tell all of my purchase last week and it is up for sale Massey 390. On another note had me medical Thursday which I past to enable me to carry on driving a juggernaught for another year, opticians 1st for an update £300 then docs for the medical 10 minuets & another £90 and £9 in Tesco for the mug shots but got 6 so keeping them for the next five years worth so nearly 400 sovs just to drive a truck robbery for an OAP with limited resources, Cheers Buzzer.

PS. and it’s still raining & a birthday tomorrow to boot.

Evening Buzzer

Tidy looking tractor that 390 and still worth a bob or two, we ran one scimilar and it was a very reliable motor. Well it’s been a very quiet weekend up ere which was much appreciated as we were getting ready for a relax, just had our sunday dinner and now time for a snooze before packing up ready for back to work tomorrow,
Loading out of the auction at Hawes in the morning for Suffolk and then Diss and then see what’s on after that.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170721_002.jpg

WP_20170719_002.jpg

WP_20170717_004.jpg

Wrighty glad to see they are keeping your wheels turning and you certainly get around the whole of the country, bet you never get board. Always think those tipper men out of the Somerset quarries must get a bit fed up with the same roads all the time when I pass them on me way to Frome Market. Well today my 68th birthday I mustered a few friends to run me calves to my rented field near home, a good bit of grass come back after we had the 57 bales of haylage of it in June, we have to put op 8 ten foot hurdles but that did not take long and let them run all over in a couple of minuets and they were safely in the grass, just been to check them to see all’s well and they are happy munching away after there initial charge round the boundary to see where they were and they found the water tank straight away as well so that’s less work for me now. Have got a couple feeders there and will finish off the nuts I still have and then wean them off the hard grub, cheers Buzzer.

Had a bit of a scare today when me and my mate went to fill the water tanks of the big steers in the marsh grazing, despite searching the whole 50 acres we could not find them. No panic as no one had rung to say they had escaped and most in the village know who’s they are so went back this evening and low and behold they appeared but I decided it was time to let them into the aftermath of where we made haylage, nice young bit of grass and boy did they like that, heads down and chomping merrily. Other than that I have got to collect 40 new POL pullet’s on Friday as part of a replacement program and off to the New Forest Show if time permits & not competing this year as no horses, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Had a bit of a scare today when me and my mate went to fill the water tanks of the big steers in the marsh grazing, despite searching the whole 50 acres we could not find them. No panic as no one had rung to say they had escaped and most in the village know who’s they are so went back this evening and low and behold they appeared but I decided it was time to let them into the aftermath of where we made haylage, nice young bit of grass and boy did they like that, heads down and chomping merrily. Other than that I have got to collect 40 new POL pullet’s on Friday as part of a replacement program and off to the New Forest Show if time permits & not competing this year as no horses, cheers Buzzer.

Now come on Buzzer !!! 50 acres and no where to be found ? Sounds like you and your Hoppo had been in the Boozer all afternoon to me ! :blush: :wink: was it Scrumpy you were on ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Buzzer:

Now come on Buzzer !!! 50 acres and no where to be found ? Sounds like you and your Hoppo had been in the Boozer all afternoon to me ! :blush: :wink: was it Scrumpy you were on ? Cheers Dennis.

Dennis we never went near the boozer anyways ours don’t open at lunch time only at the weekend, there are places you cannot really get too but they seem to find them, was concerned else me and the Mrs would noy have gone back tonight and they always come out for water in the end and so they did, you are a bit of a did believer you, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Thats a sweet spot there Buzzer running down to the river ! Cows are looking good ! :smiley:

How long do they take to fatten up ready for slaughter ! :unamused:

Dean I don’t finish them just sell them on and let someone else do that, hope to out winter them and sell in February when trade is usually on a high and I got plenty of fodder to see them through, cheers Buzzer

It is nice to see a pic of the odd lorry or two but always remember

the real purpose of this thread is agriculture and horticulture.

There’s always something relaxing about pictures of cattle and pasture

that takes me back to when I was a boy. My grandfather was a tenant

farmer. Poor old bugger. Worked his whatsits off. The only person who made

any money was the landlord! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing: