Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Charles my man I did promise you some pictures of the Horticultural side of things at the homestead so I have just gone out in the poring rain to take a couple of shots for you to peruse and got a new green house arriving next week so watch this space. When I was coming out of the summer rented council ground the other day a chap asked me from whence I came and when I told him Hackett’s he told me his dad had taken that on in 1943 and they had 120 acres in all around Bursledon and the annual rent was £7.10 shillings a year and the landlord had to make good the fences out of that as well, how things have moved on eh but you are right it is nice to go down of an evening and just walk round the cattle in a place like that & occasionally call in at then local for a swift half, got a quad bike now and waiting to get it Ag registered as my old legs aint what they used to be, Cheers

Went to check the big steers and I would say they was full and contented just laid down chewing the cud, and looks like a full spring tide in the background 2nd pic, Buzzer.

Chip in the Algarve parked at night lucky dude like a holiday and being paid, Buzzer.

New Forest show today with Mrs D my kind of weather as overcast and not too hot and no rain, saw my friends showing in the cattle tent and had a cup of tea with me agr machinery chap on his stand and saw two of my old horses in the show ring as per picture below but this place was full of food outlets and stands selling clothing and other nick nacks too commercial for me so home and picked another 24lb of beans for the green grocer, Buzzer.

Today farming exploits was to go and fetch 45 new POL pullets from near Fordingbridge, they already had there colour coded rings in place so I can keep track of how old they are and all I had to do when we got back home was to clip one wing so they cannot fly. Took the old stock out to make way and they are in a makeshift pen in the barn and they wont go till the pullets come into lay else my egg customers would get upset, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Today farming exploits was to go and fetch 45 new POL pullets from near Fordingbridge, they already had there colour coded rings in place so I can keep track of how old they are and all I had to do when we got back home was to clip one wing so they cannot fly. Took the old stock out to make way and they are in a makeshift pen in the barn and they wont go till the pullets come into lay else my egg customers would get upset, cheers Buzzer.

Do love the ‘Archers’ thread, keep up the good work buzzer.

‘Nothing as daft as a chicken’. I may have to challenge that.

I remember a lad called Dave (can’t remember his second name). Drove a car transporter for John Lancaster from Dammam to Riyadh. His ex wife called him ‘Turkey.’ I asked if it was anything to do with the country. He pulled from his wallet a newspaper clipping she had sent him. It had a night scene of a barn with turkeys outside. Apparently the turkey is so stupid that it will freeze to death outside, not realising that warmth is a few feet away! Bootiful!

John.

Buzzer:
Charles my man I did promise you some pictures of the Horticultural side of things at the homestead so I have just gone out in the poring rain to take a couple of shots for you to peruse and got a new green house arriving next week so watch this space. When I was coming out of the summer rented council ground the other day a chap asked me from whence I came and when I told him Hackett’s he told me his dad had taken that on in 1943 and they had 120 acres in all around Bursledon and the annual rent was £7.10 shillings a year and the landlord had to make good the fences out of that as well, how things have moved on eh but you are right it is nice to go down of an evening and just walk round the cattle in a place like that & occasionally call in at then local for a swift half, got a quad bike now and waiting to get it Ag registered as my old legs aint what they used to be, Cheers

I’m highly impressed by your pics Buzzer. Lovely show.At the rest home we have twenty tomatoe plants all just starting to turn. Twelve runners which we have been picking for about three weeks. In the greenhouse we’ve had a good show of courgettes.We put all the produce in the residents lounge and they help themselves putting a donation in the box. The cash is then collected by me as I’m the treasurer and wisely spent at the Legion.Also I’ve grown two red chill plants. Nobody wants them except me!

This ends the report from Alton. Don’t forget the pics of the greenhouse. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Charlie the Horticultural department is down to the Boss nought to do with me so I cant claim any credit for the display, all I do is go and collect the plants from the nursery, my department is the veg plot and to date so far I have picked over two hundred pounds of French and Runner beans which I sell at the door and excess to a green grocer to date at £1 per pound off three 50 foot rows, now getting worried if I ought not to register for VAT or not, that’s (vegitable authorization trade) not the tax variety, proceeds do help for seed costs unlike you I am virtually “T” total and don’t waste the proceeds on alcoholic beverage. Well now its started we do seem to be getting plenty of the wet stuff which I have to dodge when picking said beans as else I have to dry them off in the airing cupboard cos it makes the paper bags soggy otherwise, well as you can see by the time of this post I got up to make a cup of tea woken by the rain and just thought I would have a nose, keep up the watering Charlie & trust Rose and you well, regards Buzzer.

Afternoon Buzzer

We there’s only one word for it and it’s WET, everywhere up ere now resembles a bog and there is no chance of any hay weather in the foreseable.
Cattle and sheep are knee deep in mud and we have been unable to get on the land to spread the bedding muck.
The only consolation is our land at Redmire which is usually very dry is getting soaked, which should give us a reasonable 2nd cut later on.
Been another busy week on the driving front, been down in Norfolk and Suffolk as well as loading back out of the Royal Welsh show on Thursday night. Had a reasonably early finish on Friday as it was mi birthday,so have had another quiet weekend thanks to the weather(any chance of a month or two of red hot sunshine Baldrick?) Hope all is well down Burslem…

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170729_004.jpg

WP_20170724_015.jpg

WP_20170724_002.jpg

WP_20170729_002.jpg

Very clean and hygienic there Wrighty, I started today getting the muck out the sheds but I am taking it 6 miles to a mates farm as I don’t want it at present and its where I get my straw from so I said I should not really have to pay for the straw as I am upcycling it for him and adding nutrients. Managed 3 loads today and got one on for an early start 2moz so hopefully knock a hole in it by evening. If I deep cleaned my two sheds my nipper would want a party in em before the cattle come back in so watch this space, Buzzer.

Buzzer… It looks like you should have cleaned it out 6 weeks ago… 3ft deep!

Regards.

Evening Buzzer

Well it’s been a busy couple of days up ere, tipped Huddersfield Monday morning and then loaded out of Hull docks for three drops down country finishing near Cirencester. Loaded out of Evesham for four drops up scotch tomorrow, aye it’s all go…

Cheers Wrighty.

OJ that muck has been accumulating since last October and I bin busy making haylage etc so it will be cleaned out well in advance of the cattle coming back in, done five loads today and taking it six miles so not bad and got one loaded ready for the off tomorrow, that muck gets deeper towards the back of the shed and is deceiving haw many loads are still in there but no rush it will get done and got to deliver a load to my Mole catcher tomorrow for his veg patch a ■■■ for tat job that one, after tea went bean picking again just 21lbs tonight but is a time consuming job but me customers love em, Buzzer.

Well a very wet one today that’s for sure, finished clearing the muck out of the barns 12 loads to me mates farm, 1 to the mole man and 3/4 still on the trailer for my veg plot all loaded with my wonderful little Avant loader would not be without it, just waiting for “Wrighty” to turn up now to power wash and deep cleanse but cant see that happening any time soon Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Well a very wet one today that’s for sure, finished clearing the muck out of the barns 12 loads to me mates farm, 1 to the mole man and 3/4 still on the trailer for my veg plot all loaded with my wonderful little Avant loader would not be without it, just waiting for “Wrighty” to turn up now to power wash and deep cleanse but cant see that happening any time soon Buzzer.

Do you upset the counter balancing when you climb aboard Buzzer ? :blush: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis as you can see if you are observant it has counter weights fitted, having said that I am a mere 103 kilo’s 16 1/2 stone in old money but have wondered if it would handle better if the seat was further back and of course I don’t carry my wallet when working and that could make a difference according to some I know. But all said and done I am sure in your life you have had a bit of kit which is top notch and you wondered how you managed before you had it, my wife is another example of this but she cant shift muck as quick as that little Avant, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Dennis as you can see if you are observant it has counter weights fitted, having said that I am a mere 103 kilo’s 16 1/2 stone in old money but have wondered if it would handle better if the seat was further back and of course I don’t carry my wallet when working and that could make a difference according to some I know. But all said and done I am sure in your life you have had a bit of kit which is top notch and you wondered how you managed before you had it, my wife is another example of this but she cant shift muck as quick as that little Avant, cheers Buzzer.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer:

You’re right Buzzer not much chance, but I could do a bit of grain drying for you. Loaded it last night near Forfar and dropped it at Coventry this afternoon, 5 metres tall and 3metres wide.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170802_001.jpg

WP_20170802_008.jpg

Well it has arrived and is erected our new 17 reg greenhouse and a picture Charlie for your perusal, just got to tranship the tommy plants in at the weekend, Mrs D said she would like a table and chairs in there so had to put her straight, then did me rounds checking cattle first the big steers they were happy as larry did a head count as always then the same check on the calves in the other field all well today.

Photo0806 (2).jpg

wrighty:

Buzzer:

You’re right Buzzer not much chance, but I could do a bit of grain drying for you. Loaded it last night near Forfar and dropped it at Coventry this afternoon, 5 metres tall and 3metres wide.

Cheers Wrighty.

Still raining I see mush, bet that bit of kit will be needed if it carries on like this, no good for the corn farmers eh, just glad I made haylage when I did that’s for sure Buzzer.