Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

robthedog:

Buzzer:

oiltreader:
Hi Buzzer, this in my flickr mail box today,… your buddy…name the truck on board :bulb: .
Oily

Not a clue less its a MAN looks a little like that but some one will know for sure, Buzzer.

I’d say an international or a ford

Is it a Unimog? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

robthedog:

Buzzer:

oiltreader:
Hi Buzzer, this in my flickr mail box today,… your buddy…name the truck on board :bulb: .
Oily

Not a clue less its a MAN looks a little like that but some one will know for sure, Buzzer.

I’d say an international or a ford

That’ll do Rob, had a look at the suggestions and found this IH Loadstar, pretty near… teamwork :sunglasses:
Oily

Certainly got the Wild West bug this pair. Think this is in Canada. Mike.

thelongdrag:
Certainly got the Wild West bug this pair. Think this is in Canada. Mike.

Hi Mike, that’s certainly a one off, necessity is the mother of invention… ingenuity :sunglasses:
Oily

Now I may be wrong but I am fairly certain that this Transcon was operated by a chap called Arthur Bessant who hailed from the Poole area and if it was that truck I ran along side it many times when working for Colin Wilks AKA Hocfun out of Southampton going to Italy in the 80’s. The number plate SJT certainly rings a bell or three and the colour is right as well and even the Rentco box is what we used either carrying synthetic rubber or Tampax that went to Prato. It had a ■■■■■■■ engine in it and every time someone overtook him he had it uprated or so the saying goes, did overtake him once and he did not like it one bit. Remember also while loading in Italy somewhere with Arthur he asked if I wanted a drink and he had a massive fridge like you would have in a house on the chassis rail and the can of Coke was ice cold and stuck to my hand, never forget that as most of us had a can carrier on the wing mirror arm and let the wind cool it but nothing like his, any one remember them ? another MH moment Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Now I may be wrong but I am fairly certain that this Transcon was operated by a chap called Arthur Bessant who hailed from the Poole area and if it was that truck I ran along side it many times when working for Colin Wilks AKA Hocfun out of Southampton going to Italy in the 80’s. The number plate SJT certainly rings a bell or three and the colour is right as well and even the Rentco box is what we used either carrying synthetic rubber or Tampax that went to Prato. It had a ■■■■■■■ engine in it and every time someone overtook him he had it uprated or so the saying goes, did overtake him once and he did not like it one bit. Remember also while loading in Italy somewhere with Arthur he asked if I wanted a drink and he had a massive fridge like you would have in a house on the chassis rail and the can of Coke was ice cold and stuck to my hand, never forget that as most of us had a can carrier on the wing mirror arm and let the wind cool it but nothing like his, any one remember them ? another MH moment Buzzer.

Hi John,

Hope you and “The Boss” are keeping well,and your shoulder is on the mend.

I remember Arthur a great larger than life character,the Transcon always looked smart,and pulled like a train.

Regards
Richard

IMG_0172.JPGHaving read the Davies thread since the beginning I think that there is too

much attention to agriculture. What about horticulture? I don’t have any

machinery like Buzzer. And I’m 20 years older. Even so I’ve still managed to

handle a huge garden by hand. Here is a picture of my large estate.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Ps. Will someone please rotate the pic. Gratzie

Had a go Charles I thought you wuzz in ozzie for a moment we do have a horticultural section run by Mrs D will post evidence later, Buzzer.

IMG_0172.JPG

Looks like one of your old ones Buzzer ■■ Pulling a Solstor trailer. :wink:

DEAN it was still probably ours at that time, we were in at the start of Solstor in fact before there inception when it ran under Chingford fruit packers and we had four globies pulling Chingford fridges of which at the beginning they had six. Running on four EEC books and enough running money to do at least two trips, Tony Mapson was driving for me then and the other two CFP trailers were pulled by Micky North and Frankie Hurren good old days indeed, The main idea behind SLS was to bring in fruit for Chingford and after that they got big and had there own trucks running. First Mark Viner was in charge and he could lie for England, then when he was extingwished we had young Nicol a hard person to work for but she knew what she was doing, we still work with them to this day a very long association but them was the best days in the job not like today, she was the last motor I drove before exiting to a desk doing two wine tanks a week out of France and still running nine other units on traction, cheers Buzzer.

PS. ended up putting a brand new engine in that motor after a rod went through the side but the cab was real good.

Photo0773.jpg

Not farming, not trucks, not the right man if you got a ounce of brain, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
DEAN it was still probably ours at that time, we were in at the start of Solstor in fact before there inception when it ran under Chingford fruit packers and we had four globies pulling Chingford fridges of which at the beginning they had six. Running on four EEC books and enough running money to do at least two trips, Tony Mapson was driving for me then and the other two CFP trailers were pulled by Micky North and Frankie Hurren good old days indeed, The main idea behind SLS was to bring in fruit for Chingford and after that they got big and had there own trucks running. First Mark Viner was in charge and he could lie for England, then when he was extingwished we had young Nicol a hard person to work for but she knew what she was doing, we still work with them to this day a very long association but them was the best days in the job not like today, she was the last motor I drove before exiting to a desk doing two wine tanks a week out of France and still running nine other units on traction, cheers Buzzer.

PS. ended up putting a brand new engine in that motor after a rod went through the side but the cab was real good.

Remember Chingford Fruit Packers well ! They were no different to any fruit importer some of the most
ignorant,lying people i have ever come across ! Out of intrest are T.J.Poupart in Southampton fruit
market still trading ■■

Buzzer:

I AGREE WITH BUZZER ! Bewick.

Buzzer:

My son in law, aged mid thirties, thinks Corbyn is a great man, who, unlike other politicians, tells the truth. I have stopped ‘discussing’ politics with him. I like him very much as an individual. But he will never persuade me and I will never persuade him.

I was lucky. I was born in 1948, but dad was well off and I never suffered poverty. My fifties middle class life style was probably similar to today’s ‘poor’. We had electricity and a TV, and ‘hunger’ for me was no food between meals. No snacks ever. A mars bar from your pocket money on Saturday.

No credit. If you couldn’t afford it you couldn’t have it. Skyrocket inflation in Labour’s seventies. Great if you already had something- property, a Gardner engined Atkinson…

Buy a house? By the time you had saved £200 you needed £600.

We were the first generation to think that discrimination was wrong. I still feel the same, working in Saudi, I worked with people from nations all over the world. I liked and disliked people on a personal basis, never from where they were born or lived.

Many more arguments. Too boring to go on.

I think the baby boomers deserve to have some money in retirement. Of course I’m biased. Oh, and by the way, who are we going to leave our money to? That will be the millenials if they can just wait a few years!

John.

DEANB:

Buzzer…who drove WCG 364V then ■■ Buggered if i can even remember that F10…

mappo:

DEANB:

Ex PALL Europe Pompy bought for a song think K3 Les slater came with me on the day and he could not believe how cheap it wuzz and came complete with snow chains, Horry would be able to give you the full SP on drivers of said machine but had a feeling Spadger RIP had a stint in her. Think I got muddled about the last one I drove which was WHO 498V that’s the one what had the new engine fitted after FT bless him put a rod through the side on the old Winchester bypass and got towed off by the cops in a range rover afrter tipping London markets and it was on PLG tax at the time but they never twigged, Buzzer

Wait for Horry to respond Tone.

Paul Nichols was with us when pulling the Chingford trailers Buzzer.
I know you did a spell in this one too…got pics somewhere of the two of us in Spain…

Copied this pic from page 1 of this thread…

Tony thought you would have recognised the Transcon further up the page of Arthur Bessant fame, he pulled for Wilksy, Tampax and the ISR rubber do you recall that motor ? JD.

Yeh i remember Arthur Buzzer, did the same work of course…i was driving for Eddie Huntley when
pulling for that scallywag Colin Wilkes…
I know he had a Transcon, but wasn’t sure if it was the same one.
Yet more M H moments eh… :sunglasses: :laughing:

Buzzer:

mappo:

DEANB:

Ex PALL Europe Pompy bought for a song think K3 Les slater came with me on the day and he could not believe how cheap it wuzz and came complete with snow chains, Horry would be able to give you the full SP on drivers of said machine but had a feeling Spadger RIP had a stint in her. Think I got muddled about the last one I drove which was WHO 498V that’s the one what had the new engine fitted after FT bless him put a rod through the side on the old Winchester bypass and got towed off by the cops in a range rover afrter tipping London markets and it was on PLG tax at the time but they never twigged, Buzzer

Wait for Horry to respond Tone.

PLG tax, now that brings back memories, me and me old dad got stopped up the top of jubilee way in a Transcon loaded with satsumas in step frame tilt. Not only had it got plg tax, the disc had been confiscated in harwich by the coppers the week before. Me dad did get an endorsement for speeding, and stung for the back tax. I was only 10 and learnt enough swear words that day to last me a lifetime.