BRS DEPOTS

Hi all,

I worked for N Francis Parcels in Parkholme Road Dalston in London E8. They were part of the BRS family. I can remember 2 other BRS parcel depots in London, one on the A40 at Acton, now a housing estate. And another on Cambridge Heath Road by the canal, also gone now.

ACC:
Hi all,

I worked for N Francis Parcels in Parkholme Road Dalston in London E8. They were part of the BRS family. I can remember 2 other BRS parcel depots in London, one on the A40 at Acton, now a housing estate. And another on Cambridge Heath Road by the canal, also gone now.

Hi , I can also remember that depot on the A40 ,quite a large one ,we frequently had to park there on a Saturday when turned away from the London docks ,then get a lift back to Oxford and return on the Monday-I believe it was Park Royal depot.

ACC:
Hi all,

Didn’t Francis run some Ford K series integral vans?

Pete.

Hi All ,The Gloucester video was priceless ,showing the dominance of BRS in its day .the number of Seddon MK 5s, the mixture of general haulage etc, my own depot of Oxford reflected that mixture , with tippers ,cattle trucks ,car transporters ,along with a large fleet of general,and the night trunks and shunting -it was a one stop shop despite the unionised system but it worked well , -found a shot that may interest some of you --cheers toshboy
BMC  401.JPG

toshboy:
Hi All ,The Gloucester video was priceless ,showing the dominance of BRS in its day .the number of Seddon MK 5s, the mixture of general haulage etc, my own depot of Oxford reflected that mixture , with tippers ,cattle trucks ,car transporters ,along with a large fleet of general,and the night trunks and shunting -it was a one stop shop despite the unionised system but it worked well , -found a shot that may interest some of you --cheers toshboy0

All BMCs! Three Wolseley 16/60s by the look of it and a Moggie with whitewall tyres. Is that a window in the passenger foot-well?! Robert

toshboy:
Hi All ,The Gloucester video was priceless ,showing the dominance of BRS in its day .the number of Seddon MK 5s, the mixture of general haulage etc, my own depot of Oxford reflected that mixture , with tippers ,cattle trucks ,car transporters ,along with a large fleet of general,and the night trunks and shunting -it was a one stop shop despite the unionised system but it worked well , -found a shot that may interest some of you --cheers toshboy0

Hi toshboy , great shot , but i did not realise that Oxford depot had cattle trucks ! regards Keith .

kingswinford kit:

toshboy:

Hi toshboy , great shot , but i did not realise that Oxford depot had cattle trucks ! regards Keith .

Hi Kingswinford. yes when i first joined Oxford , the tippers worked out of Standlake/ Stanton Harcourt pits on the Brize and Heyford airfield constructions. the cattle wagons i believe worked Thame and Oxford markets etc although they eventually disappeared and the drivers remained on general,i believe the cattle trucks were originally taken into BRS from a a Thame haulier on nationalisation.

Hi All, To continue the on the unusual mix of Oxford depot ,this poor quality shot shows the range of ages in the fleet at that time,the Albion hd53 was 1951. the Seddon artic mk5 was 1950 and were still running a number wartime Bedfords and Ford 7v s with perkins p6 conversions

e2414.JPG

Might not be the best quality pic Toshboy, but a great pic none the less. The two on left are like I remember my dad parking up at home when he was on Joe’s (Harding.) That would have been just before BRS was formed, but could well have been the same motors at some time. Looks like a few loads from John Allen’s! Would that have been the depot at Sandy lane?

BigG-Unit:
Might not be the best quality pic Toshboy, but a great pic none the less. The two on left are like I remember my dad parking up at home when he was on Joe’s (Harding.) That would have been just before BRS was formed, but could well have been the same motors at some time. Looks like a few loads from John Allen’s! Would that have been the depot at Sandy lane?

Hi Big G-Unit,
Joe Harding was at Sandy lane i believe before nationalisation ,BRS Oxford (RED) were at Mayfield rd off the Banbury rd formerly Scotts, when i started with them-we parked at Oxford University Press at Jordan Hill at that time, we later moved to Long Lane Littlemore where Hardings BRS Cowley (BLUE) were already based .
The two groups ran independent of each other ,just a dividing line down the field .in the pic the Seddon (pfc 316) was the sister to my Seddon artic (pfc 319)not shown , John Allen were in Between Towns rd and made all sorts of machinery -the scythes were made in their hundreds for export ,along with Nuffield Exports next door we were a very busy Depot

toshboy:

kingswinford kit:

toshboy:

Hi Kingswinford. yes when i first joined Oxford , the tippers worked out of Standlake/ Stanton Harcourt pits on the Brize and Heyford airfield constructions. the cattle wagons i believe worked Thame and Oxford markets etc although they eventually disappeared and the drivers remained on general,i believe the cattle trucks were originally taken into BRS from a a Thame haulier on nationalisation.

Hi toshboy thanks for that , i would not have thought Oxford BRS depot would have had tippers ,being very much car transporters orientated , as with cattle transport . Oxford being a very large depot , would Swindon depot have had cattle wagons also , regards Keith .

kingswinford kit:

toshboy:

kingswinford kit:

toshboy:

Hi toshboy thanks for that , i would not have thought Oxford BRS depot would have had tippers ,being very much car transporters orientated , as with cattle transport . Oxford being a very large depot , would Swindon depot have had cattle wagons also , regards Keith .

Hi Kingswinford kit, We must remember i am talking early days 1950/51 ,and BRS was still getting organised and i believe separate divisions were later formed for tippers and cattle etc ,initially all the newly nationalised lorries were sent to local depots ,i would not know about Swindon though. Oxford (general) only had the two car carriers (Morris/Saurers)in the Nuffield blue colours we also had many Morris’s the same on Ps co Prestcold work hauling trailers delivering fridges throughout the Uk again in the blue ,confusing isn’t it, all this separate from Harding BRS who done all the body shells etc 24/7 to the Midland manufacturers.not to forget that Milehams BRS were at Kidlington with a good sized fleet as well

One of my uncles drove for BRS from there unit in Strathkinnes Fife. Remember going down there when I was a wee fellae (not that I’m much bigger now). And gazing in amazement at the lorries…my other uncle drove for Danskins again out off strathkinnes. Remember it wel…

Well, the old BRS depot building in Dover is gone now. I did get some (fairly poor) pictures of it before demolition commenced, I’ll get them uploaded at some point. Surprising how much space has opened up on the site. It’s scheduled to be station parking, so better than sitting derelict and unloved I suppose… Apparently there was a good deal of asbestos in its construction, which is why it was unused/condemned for so long.

windrush:

ACC:
Hi all,

Didn’t Francis run some Ford K series integral vans?

Pete.

Hi Pete, yes they did, they were all Luton boxes with siding doors on the cabs.

Trev_H:

GlenAnderson:
I noticed today that the old Priory Goods yard building in Dover that housed the BRS depot there is starting to come down. It has been earmarked for the chop for years, and has stood empty since the late 90s when the last transport company (EVR Traction) moved on from there.

Three of my Uncles worked from there for BRS, and I worked from there for EVR in 1996/7 so I’m a bit sad to see it go, but it wasn’t nice watching it fall into ruin either…

I used to get diesel from there next to the railway station on Folkestone rd. I knew one driver from there called Mick Sheridan , I think he went to Maidstone depot.

I have only just seen this reply, so my apologies for the response several years late…

I was talking to Mick Sheridan just the other month, he was in fine form with plenty of stories.

The Granary, Kings Cross Goods Yard, Camden.1989.

The-Granary-Kings-X-Goods-Yard-Kings-Cross-Camden-1989.jpeg

would be interested in finding out where the old brs depots were located,i
know many have long been demolished and been redeveloped but some are still standing so come on and dig deep.if they arent there now tell me whats there now so i have an idea. :slight_smile:

the old office block and a few of the warehouses for BRS in Birmingham is still there on Bromford lane , just down from the esso fuel terminalin Erdington, next time I’m passin g I’ll get some pictures

I did my Fork lift truck training in 1986 there when it was still BRS

walsall depot was in midland road/tasker street (around the corner from keyfuels queen street).i think the last shed has recently been demolished
and redeveloped,but will take a photo tonight