British Road Services - North Western Area

ridings at longridge had ex b r s leyland beaver nvt 460 do youhave any in fo on any of the preston depts

I remember a EX BRS, driver Alfie Leyland he live in Stamford Str, Oldham, he was a shunter for Baxters Road Services Newcastle on Tyne, He was a great lad, the trunkers used to pick him up at his home & he dropped them off at their digs in Ardwick Green, I wonder if he is still about,? any of you old BRS Lads know him ? Regards Larry. (60s Era).

nianiamh:
A series from Wrexham depot, with a nice spread axle trailer :laughing:

I was in Wrexham BRS 24 years after I moved from BRS HighWycombe. Iwas transfered to Wincanton when BRS lost the Rexham plastics contract .

Hi Dave, This might look familiar to you!

nice Fl

brs volvo  northern.jpg

Nice f

brs volvo northern.jpg

any body have a list of burnley depts or is there a b r s site

I can remember the BRS Depot at Carelton at Carlisle, I used to deliver soap powder there for Thos Hedleys Later (P&G), they had a good canteen, one of thier drivers was in charge & dished up some canny meals, & cheap, this was the 50s era, Regards Larry.

laybuy:
any body have a list of burnley depts or is there a b r s site

After nationalisation there were depots at Canning St., 62 Standish St., and Gannow Top, Burnley Rd.
By the mid 50’s all General Haulage had transfered to Bennington St. Blackburn although a BRS Parcels depot remained at Spafield Mill, Todmorden Rd.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I can remember the BRS Depot at Carelton at Carlisle, I used to deliver soap powder there for Thos Hedleys Later (P&G), they had a good canteen, one of thier drivers was in charge & dished up some canny meals, & cheap, this was the 50s era, Regards Larry.

Carelton? Where at, I can’t think of anywhere round there that could host a depot unless it’s what is now the Golden Fleece(d)

I can only remember the depot in London rd. Carlisle, sadly now another retail park.
I used to fill up and draw ex’s at the Golden fleece on the old op’s11 form when it was a BRS fuel stop. :laughing: :laughing:

dew:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Carelton? Where at, I can’t think of anywhere round there that could host a depot unless it’s what is now the Golden Fleece(d)

Yeah Dew, (Carleton),i remember filling up there,on the old A6 London rd,come off at J42 head towards Carlisle past the garage on right up the bank and just were the houses start on the left BRS was on the right, the buildings are there and are still in use.Vic.

this is a bad photo of London Rd BRS,Carlisle as it is now.

The Carlisle depot was in Carleton but I can’t find a road name! In 1961 the manager was a Mr. Boardman and they ran trunk services to London.the Midlands and the N.W. In 1964 they had a fleet of 33 lorries from Mammouth Majors thro’ Comets and Chieftains up to Ergo Beavers + breakdown crane and service van. The depot came under Preston District and started with a 3C fleet number then changed to HE.
Regards Peter

I think I know where you mean, behind the Bluerare Diner on the main road.

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Carleto … 08,0,2.14

dew:
I think I know where you mean, behind the Bluerare Diner on the main road.

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Carleto … 08,0,2.14

yes thats the right place,Vic

Hi Trev.H
The BRS in London Rd Carlisle that is now a retail park,was the old BRS parcels depot i used to park up there regularly and stay in digs across the road i n Chertsey Mount ,in the 60s good old long gone days eh TED.

toxic gas man:
Hi Trev.H
The BRS in London Rd Carlisle that is now a retail park,was the old BRS parcels depot i used to park up there regularly and stay in digs across the road i n Chertsey Mount ,in the 60s good old long gone days eh TED.

Yes, that was the one I remember, was it later national carriers ? I had a mate that lived across the road that was a mechanic there.

Trev_H:

toxic gas man:
Hi Trev.H

Yes, that was the one I remember, was it later national carriers ? I had a mate that lived across the road that was a mechanic there.

I used to park in BRS Parcels yard and stayed in digs on London Road in the late 60s,can’t remember the name of the digs though.

hi . i stoped at brs london rd early 60s .stopped at lovely ladys digs just back up the road on the right . cant remember her name . great digs . in my old bristol GB69 well quite new then .