British Road Services - North Western Area

otto194242:
hi . i stoped at brs london rd early 60s .stopped at lovely ladys digs just back up the road on the right . cant remember her name . great digs . in my old bristol GB69 well quite new then .

I couldn’t find a picture of GB69 but I took this 1 of brand new Bristols just delivered to Newport

TIDDERSON:

otto194242:
hi . i stoped at brs london rd early 60s .stopped at lovely ladys digs just back up the road on the right . cant remember her name . great digs . in my old bristol GB69 well quite new then .

I couldn’t find a picture of GB69 but I took this 1 of brand new Bristols just delivered to Newport

some of these had leylands in . and gardaner . i had 60 CUH or could of been 60 CBO cant recall now . i know it was GB69 . thanks for pics when i see them brings back memeries of good old mates . most not here now :frowning: .

Hi, Fodens Carlisle depot was situated in the old Claude Hughes depot which was situated behind the old St Christophers Restaurant the white building on the left of your photograph accessed by turning left in front of the black car. The BRS general haulage depot was straight ahead as shown and the BRS Parcels Depot at Harraby Green, London Rd is now a retail park. Chertsey Mount is just about 200 yards further on the west side of London Rd. north I have tipped soap powder Fairy Liquid etc there. Also loaded milk powder out of Carleton depot. The Green Bank Pub to the right of the depot main gate.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Hi Rapidgem, Looking at your depot allocation lists there are some reg numbers that I recognise and can add further details.
Carleton Depot RRM 601 Albion Chieftain, Chassis No 74138? new to BRS 08/02/56. ULW 2t-19cwt. SAO 173 Albion Chieftain, Chassis No 74152J, new to BRS 06/04/56, ULW 2t-19cwt.
Preston Depot… KAO 305 Leyland Octopus, Chassis No, 502482 ex J. Stamper, Dearham, new 01/08/50, ULW 6t-16cwt-3q-4lbs.
KRM 869 Albion Chieftain Chassis No 73079D ex Kelso & Son, Lazonby, new 27/06/51, ULW 2t-19cwt.
These details are from ■■■■■■■ County Council vehicle registration record books held in their archive department which I was allowed to copy for my own records along with many other heavy wagon details (over 2t 10cwt) from 1949 up to 1956 so far.
I hope you find this of interest as will boballoa.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

i worked at BRS queensferry from 1959 -1962 and then tanker work was better and more money so went to thomas allen in ellesmere port on the advice of Ted moss who drove one of the two pickfords tankers that were based at q/ferry on contract to greasers chemicals the reg no were OGT357 AND MLF 5 two AEC ridgid eight wheelers. the truck i drove was a leyland eight wheeler KDM 652 maily used on steel fom john summers and sons or courtaulds greenfield on bails some of the mates i worked with was Fred davies rod jones george auther ted moss harry wainwright auther montfield ( forman fitter) derick hughes i,m 76 now the memory not as good as it used to be but the were good days, the retun loads of bricks from LBC normans cross were hard work if you coudn,t get night loaded fom whittlesea depot.

[Is this you?

e1324.jpg

The two men on top of the load, i would be the one on the right, it,s difficult to tell, it,s definitly the truck i drove it would depend on the date the the photo ,the place apears to be birkenhead docks, the load hoe heads in woden boxes loaded out of birmingham, some times they would use a tramp vehicle on trunk to black lake and it would have that sort of load back from west brom , and then would be shunted to the docks,also if the load was going straight on to the ship the two men on the load would be steveadors ,if the load was to be loaded on board later they just gave you a set, witch i,m sure your aware of, any way its a cracking photo thank you , you may rember me as George Woodcock ive been living here in the south of france for the past 12 years,but will be back in Chester ,to see family over the xmas period.

Hi Woodyinfrance, We used to sub for Queens Ferry Debt ,in the early seventys ,to late eights ,new a lot of the drivers and fitters also second men ,i think the lorry loading on the docks ,is at Mostyn ,Docks ,do u remember ERNIE Woods he was on the tankers out of Gressers ,the Green ones on contract ,the office staff Jimmy Woods Ivor from Denbigh ,cant put a name to the other chap Lillian the secetary Richy Becketts wife and Peter Williams driver who helped out in the office when needed a great bunch of lads and lasses good old days a ,Cheers Barry

Hi Barry the time you refer to would be well after my time, i had left BRS in 1963 and was working in ellesmere port where i worked till 1973 and then worked in holland for acompany called Hegaman bulk transport on international work , the man whoes name you couldnt rember was proberly Wyndem griffiths yes i rember some of the lads you mentened one or two more was errnie jones and Dennis Farrimond they must have kept KDM 652 for some time after i had gone as you say happy days.

HI ,Woodyinfrance , You seem to have setteld in France ok ,i take it u have hung up drivers boots ? like my self ,did u remember Con Bibby Big Ken Lovat ,two of the caracters of there time ,monty in the garage ,Tommy Waigh shunter in Courtalds Greenfield , ALAN EVENS ,AND MANY MORE all had there own ideas ,just rambling on sorry for that ,CHeers BArry

Hi barry yes rember all those men , they were there when i was, yes been here 12 years now, 76 yrs old still plodden on it,s a nice quiet life here nothing happens quick here , you can see why the gemans never had aproblem in 1939, if they came between 12–and 2pm 7-9pm the buggers would be to busy eating, no road tax for cars diesel half the price as uk and general taxes half those of the uk electic cheaper, just come back to see family from time to time , proberly end me days here ,stay lucky barry maybe talk soon.

In addition to my posting, under a separate topic, detailing the July 1958 fleet allocation at BRS Queensferry Depot (see under separate thread), the following North Western Division allocations are also included on the list:-

Battersby Lane Depot
Blackburn Branch
Bolton Depot ( no makes detailed)
Greenheys Branch
Hindley Depot
Preston Branch
Rochdale Depot
Runcorn Depot (no makes detailed)
Sandbach Depot
St Helens Depot
Carleton Depot

I will provide details if anyone is interested.

Cheers - RR

These links are to pics of Brs Wrexham motors if there of any use to you
Cheers

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … rs+wrexham

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … rs+wrexham

BRS bolton was predominantly leyland and foden

Thanks biggusdickusgb, here’s the of the BRS Bolton depot allocation:-

As you can see, no makes for Bolton listed - can anyone fill in any of the blanks with makes?

Cheers - RR

i cant see nothing listed :laughing:

Sorry about the hitch, Bigus - service now restored!

Cheers - RR

A series from Wrexham depot, with a nice spread axle trailer :laughing:

the list is a good start for now, if i’ve remembered the weights properly thats 2 artics, 15 x 8 leggers, 14 x 6 wheel and 15 x 4 wheelers.
21 are bolton registered, 8 from salford, 5 from blackburn, 4 from manchester, 1 each from st helens and warrington and another 6 from around the lancashire area.
should be fun sorting that lot out :laughing:

i’ve been told number 279, BDJ 26 was a leyland 8 legger.
i’ll bet i don’t get the others as quick :laughing: