Bolton Roadways.

There are some good pics coming up of Bolton Roadways on the Northwest Trucks website that moomooland has set up.
I had forgot all about them but were they based in the BRS yard ?
And can anyone remember the big Bedford TK lutons based in BRS (Bolton) in the 70’s/80’s, what was the name they opperated under ? all I can remember was they were dark blue and carried bandages.

Bolton Gate’s Works was next to the BRS yard, I delivered steel too Bolton Gate around this time,and they were then running 1 ERF LV artic with a single axle trailer, and around 4 Leyland Chieftain rigids fitted with tiny add on sleeper cabs.
Are there any photos around still of any of these lorries ?

Hi TIPIT, I can remember Bolton Roadways, sure they ran some Scammell Crusaders at one time :question: :question: can’t help you with were their depot was though but as far as the big luton TK’s I’m sure they were liveried up as ‘Vernaid’ and as you say a hospital/surgical supplies company, in fact I think it said something like that in the livery. :slight_smile:
Hope that helps
Regards
Dave Penn;

davepenn54:
Hi TIPIT, I can remember Bolton Roadways, sure they ran some Scammell Crusaders at one time :question: :question: can’t help you with were their depot was though but as far as the big luton TK’s I’m sure they were liveried up as ‘Vernaid’ and as you say a hospital/surgical supplies company, in fact I think it said something like that in the livery. :slight_smile:
Hope that helps
Regards
Dave Penn;

Before finally expiring, Bolton Roadways metamorphosed into ‘Swift Star Services’… :confused:

I worked for several years with an ex-Bolton Roadways traffic man.

Thanks lads, Vernaid… they 're the people.
Funny how pictures of one firm brings others to mind. :slight_smile:

Here’s one for Buzzard Boy etc – but it may have been before their time or era…
Leighton Buzzard was at one time a hub of transport companies – dozens & dozens of them… This was when there was plenty of work for “trucks” on general haulage and Leighton Buzzard was surrounded by such work because of Tunnel Cement, London Brick, Marley Tiles etc etc…

Hauliers wishing to backload from the area always went through Bolton Roadways – I think their office was in Lake Street – and this struck me as strange set up considering how many local hauliers there were !!