BRS Queensferry Depot, North Wales

nianiamh:

rapidgem:
Does anyone have any anecdotes, details or photos of the BRS Queensferry (Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales) Depot?

Did you work at Queensferry depot rapidjem ?

I know that some of the drivers there moved over to Wrexham depot when it shut,
The only names i know of are,
Billy Cookson, sadly passed on a few years ago,
Bob Bateman took early retirement not seen him since he left
Micky Morton also took early retirement, spoke with him a few weeks ago hes doing fine, I know there were a lot more who came over ill ask my dad wholl know more of them, but these are the only ones i`ve worked with.
This pic is of a Queensferry motor loaded with beer out of Wrexham Larger

Peter Williams is 74 still working for frank lloyds Frank Barton joined the salvation army you can still see him round Wreham in his uniform collecting

nianiamh:

bigpeter53:
I knew a Frank Barton who worked out of BRS Queensferry,I used to cart sugar with him,He used to get ■■■■■■ as a ■■■■ on Hook Norton ale,Great bloke though.

My dad has been talking to Frank today,
youll see him in Wrexham most weeks selling the war cry for the sally army, i think hes something like a General now, looks very smart in his uniform :laughing:

A few more i`ve worked with after the Queensferry depot shut and they came over to Wrexham depot were
Billy Cookson
Bob Bateman
Micky Morton
Jim Howard
John Evans (Quango)
Reg Neale (traffic office)

Quango lives in Chirk works nights for Dairy Crest Maelor

Peter Williams ,A BRS man through and through I liked Pete a great man ,sub ed a lot of work out of there ,Jimmy WOOD ,REG Neil ,the young lad from Denbigh cant put a name to him ,Agood set of lads ,and Lillyan RICHIE Becketts wife ,and many many more drivers ,good old days ,Yours Barry

Does anyone have any anecdotes, details or photos of the BRS Queensferry (Deeside, Flintshire, North Wales) Depot?

rapidgem:

Did you work at Queensferry depot rapidjem ?

I know that some of the drivers there moved over to Wrexham depot when it shut,
The only names i know of are,
Billy Cookson, sadly passed on a few years ago,
Bob Bateman took early retirement not seen him since he left
Micky Morton also took early retirement, spoke with him a few weeks ago hes doing fine, I know there were a lot more who came over ill ask my dad wholl know more of them, but these are the only ones i`ve worked with.
This pic is of a Queensferry motor loaded with beer out of Wrexham Larger

Thanks for the info and super photo nianiamh.

No, I didn’t work for BRS, but have an interest in local road transport history.

Cheers again - RR

I’ve been given a copy of a list of the fleet allocation at BRS Queensferry as it was in July 1958 - (although only fleet numbers and reg numbers are given - no makes or types are given). I’ve been able to add a bit more information from photos and books and from nianiamh’s recent posting.

This is what I have so far:-

July 1958, Queensferry Depot Allocation:-
1C323 - KDM 992
1C324 - KDM 993
1C325 - KDM 994
1C326 - LDM 86
1C327 - LDM 297
1C328 - LDM 254
1C329 - LDM 243
1C330 - LDM 275
1C331 - LDM 428
1C332 - LDM 429
1C333 - LDM 473
1C334 - LDM 474 (Leyland Octopus - Flat - 16 Ton CC)
1C335 - PKA 55
1C336 - PKA 56
1C337 - OKF 264
1C338 - OKD 921
1C339 - OKD 268
1C340 - OKD 668
1C341 - OKD 969
1C342 - OKF 74
1C343 - KDM 196
1C344 - KDM 197
1C345 - KDM198
1C346 - KDM 199
1C347 - KDM 195
1C348 - OKB 799
1C350 - EDM 235
1C351 - KDM 651
1C352 - KDM 652 (Leyland Octopus - Flat - 16 Ton CC)
1C353 - KDM 653
1C355 - FDM 498
1C356 - GDM897

• there maybe a couple more vehicles here which didn’t photocopy on the list at the end of a page. ie - 1C357/58 I assume, maybe?
    1C359 - MDM 438
    1C363 - HDM 97
    1C364 - LHW 35
    1C366 - MXU 346
    1C368 - MXU 645
    1C373 - MDM 546
    1C374 - MDM 547
    1C375 - MDM 548
    1C389 - ODM 375
    1C390 - ODM 376
    1C391 - ODM 377
    1C392 - ODM 378
    1C409 - ODM 837
    1C410 - ODM 838
    1C411 - ODM 839
    1C412 - ODM 891
    1C413 - ODM 892
    1C425 - PDM 487
    1C174 - KMA 918
    1C19 - OKA 58
    1C20 - OKA59
    1C289 - FHW 968

That’s what’s listed on the July, 1958 list. - The additional info in brackets I’ve added myself from books/photos etc.

In addition to the 1958 list above, I have gleaned the following from books and the ERF from nianiamh’s recent posting, although I don’t have any fleet numbers:-

GDM 33 - Foden 7.5 Ton Flat - (later at Greenheys, Branch)
GDM894 - Maudslay Meritor - Flat
RED971 - Leyland - Artic (Ex- Battersby Lane Depot)
YDM 946 - Bristol HA6LL - Artic
YDM 947 - Bristol HA9LL - Artic
104 BDM - Bristol HA6LL - Artic
105 BDM - Bristol HA6LL - Artic
761 CDM - Bristol HA6G - Artic
762 CDM - Bristol HA6G - Artic
931 CDM - Bristol HA6LL - Artic
HDM 245C - AEC Mandator - Artic
UDM 393M - ERF A Series - Artic.

As you will appreciate, there are many gaps and I’d appreciate any help in compiling a more comprehensive list of allocations at Queensferry, any corrections, amendments, additions, photos, comments etc of BRS Queensferry etc would be gratefully welcomed.

This is part of a larger road transport history project which I’m attempting to compile on all the old road transport operators in Flintshire.

Thanks for your interest in reading this.

Regards - RR

Two more pics of Queensferry motors

Thanks for the great pics of the BRS Q’ferry motors nianiamh. RED 971 is on my 1958 listing for Battersby Lane Warrington so must have been later transferred to Q’ferry at some time and was probably originally an 8-legger (Octopus) and later chopped down to an artic .

I think the pics were taken in Vauxhall’s factory at Ellesmere Port going by the embankments in the background, Steel from John Summers’ Shotton was a regular drop off at Vauxhall’s followed by return load of off cut scrap steel to be recycled in the melting pot at Shotton.

I’ve just turned up this old advert for Queensferry Depot dating from the early 60’s. .

Any more information - photos, details, snippets of info etc on BRS Queensferry Depot would be very welcome.

Cheers - RR

I knew a Frank Barton who worked out of BRS Queensferry,I used to cart sugar with him,He used to get ■■■■■■ as a ■■■■ on Hook Norton ale,Great bloke though.

bigpeter53:

My dad has been talking to Frank today,
youll see him in Wrexham most weeks selling the war cry for the sally army, i think hes something like a General now, looks very smart in his uniform :laughing:

A few more i`ve worked with after the Queensferry depot shut and they came over to Wrexham depot were
Billy Cookson
Bob Bateman
Micky Morton
Jim Howard
John Evans (Quango)
Reg Neale (traffic office)

Sorry click happy fingers :unamused: :laughing:

Sorry click happy fingers :unamused: :laughing:

Cheers for the info lads.

Here’s a Queensferry Octopus being loaded at Mostyn Dock.

Info on BRS Queensferry and old Flintshire and Chester area hauliers are always welcome :slight_smile:

Thinking back to my days at BRS,and what we are expected to do these days it is incredible.At the Runcorn depot we had the ICI contract and Bass Charrington (which is now B&Q RDC). You got your orders for the week on Monday so you would poodle down to Castners/Rock Savage or Wigg Worksand Pilk Sullivan in Widnes.It might take you two days to get loaded and the rule was you didn’t leave after 2.30pm.There was very little or no back loading as you mostly picked up MT’s.It was a great job.The Bass job was a little more hectic but still OK until our old enemy,ourselves,started cutting it up.You might get a Garston and Wolverhampton then some richard heads started doing two Wolves etc etc you know the old story.A funny thing happened one day. We used to take K flats to Freightliner depots and get them lifted off and onto the train.One driver came in one day,went up to Bass to be given a Park Royal,which meant Garston Freightliners.However this guy knew where Park Royal was and promptly turned up there about dinner time. The bobbies on the gate couldn’t understand why the bottles of Guinness were turning up with a BRS unit and not a Frieghtliner oh it was funny.

There’s been a few postings about BRS recently, so I though I’d air this old thread. I’m always interestd to hear anything about the old Queensferry Depot ( Pizza Hut, Lidl and B+Q now occupy the site).

Cheers - RR